If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
Although that have happen before; many times to be exact lol.

There are people who will break the rules even if bills are passed to allow freedom for others, in this case student-athletes? Shocker :D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Daily News-Record wrote:JMU Athletics
SHAKE UP
Bourne: Realignment Talk 'Ramped Up' Due To COVID-19
By GREG MADIA and SHANE METTLEN
Daily News-Record Apr 15, 2020

There were already monetary issues for mid-major athletic programs across the country.

The financial ramifications of the coronavirus pandemic have only heightened those problems, forcing administrators to seek solutions sooner rather than later. The most drastic consideration, according to athletic directors who spoke to the Daily News-Record, comes in the form of geographical realignment to help slice travel costs.

“I don’t think Old Dominion is an isolated case,” James Madison athletic director Jeff Bourne told the Daily News-Record in regard to a report published by The Virginian-Pilot detailing the Monarchs’ bleak economic situation.
Click Here for Full Story
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ODU should have never been admitted to CUSA, in my opinion. They were too new on the block for CUSA. Actually they should have stayed FCS. Appears they barely have their heads above the water, when it comes to Title IX. What's happening at ODU, I expect to happen at Coastal Carolina very shortly. (and probably other FBS schools that probably shouldn't be FBS.) Some administrators are begging NCAA to soften rules for remaining FBS, i.e. number of sports required. NCAA should not bulge on this rule. You will have some schools trying to play basketball and nothing else.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is all water under the bridge, ballcoach. But I am surprised at how open some of the ADs are bein about possible urgent changes. From the same article:
In C-USA, Old Dominion is the only school from Virginia in the conference. The same could be said about East Carolina as the only North Carolina school in the AAC.

“It certainly affects different schools at different levels,” East Carolina athletic director Jon Gilbert said. “I think the TV networks obviously would want to hold the conference alignment as they are for football and men’s and women’s basketball. But I think it is time to discuss that every other sport go to a regional-type format where we are playing schools that are close to us. Our athletes could play a lot of schools on a road trip that takes place maybe even in the same day, and I think those are discussions we should start having in earnest.”

Old Dominion declined, through a spokesperson, a request to interview athletic director Wood Selig.

“Right now, we’re saying no to interview requests,” ODU assistant athletic director Eric Bohannon said. “The reason is to avoid further speculation. When we have more confirmed plans of what will come out of this, we’ll be glad to have Wood do interviews.”
This is indicated a radical change from the traditonal conference philosophy that has been in place since before the advent of the NCAA itself. The idea that there could be football & mens basketball leagues separate from the other sports which would not necessarily be conferences but regional districting similar to HS is intriguing. That would certainly generate a discussion of multiple classifications within DI because the ACC is not bringing us into the fold based strictly on geography. Honestly they would likely have to let womens hoops be paired with men based on Title IX. But everything else makes a great deal of sense.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sounds as if major changes are coming. I just hope Liberty softball comes out of it all. smelling like a rose, and benefiting from whatever the end result is.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If this type of radical realignment occurs in non-revenue sports I suspect some old Big South rivalries (Radford, Longwood, VMI) and some other regional schools like JMU, GMU, GWU, VCU, UR, W&M, Hampton, NSU and ODU might be joining together. Again this is a crazy talk at this stage. But the revenue drop is forcing everyone to rethink their situations. Economics sometimes create strange bedfellows.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Hard to believe, but 5 of those schools do not field a softball team: VMI, VCU,UR,W&M, and ODU. I can understand VMI not fielding one, but the other 4 should play softball.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 16th, 2020, 2:56 pm Hard to believe, but 5 of those schools do not field a softball team: VMI, VCU,UR,W&M, and ODU. I can understand VMI not fielding one, but the other 4 should play softball.
Why?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't know the make-up of those schools as to what sports they play, or don't play, but my initial thoughts are if they had softball, it would be easier to meet Title IX requirements.
Granted softball doesn't draw the fans football and basketball does, but softball probably draws more than women's ping pong and shuffle board.
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: April 16th, 2020, 4:10 pm I don't know the make-up of those schools as to what sports they play, or don't play, but my initial thoughts are if they had softball, it would be easier to meet Title IX requirements.
Granted softball doesn't draw the fans football and basketball does, but softball probably draws more than women's ping pong and shuffle board.
Softball also costs more than ping pong and shuffle board too.

A lot of college are going to soccer/ field hockey /lacrosse so that they could use the same field and save money and space. Softball and baseball fields aren't always easy or cheap to maintain. Plus equipment is expensive.
Purple Haize liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 16th, 2020, 3:40 pmTitle IX
Title IX doesn't care what sports you play as long as you have enough women's teams to balance the scholarship opportunities with the men's side. I'm not aware that any of those schools are in hot water over that, but will admit it is a bit surprising that those who have football teams would be able to pull off compliance without softball. Looks like Richmond does it by fielding women's teams in soccer, track and field, swimming and field hockey which they do not have in men's. Surprisingly, they don't have a volleyball team either. ODU has field hockey, lacrosse, rowing and volleyball. At W&M it's just field hockey, lacrosse and volleyball.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
JMU's AD & President have been notorious in their downplaying FBS aspirations for years. Suddenly their AD Bourne is a fountain of discussion in the midst of the current crisis.
Daily News-Record wrote:JMU AD Hopes NCAA Is Flexible With Conference Rules
By GREG MADIA and SHANE METTLEN
Daily News-Record
Apr 16, 2020

University presidents and athletic directors could ultimately decide conference realignment or the creation of a new conference is the best solution to combat the dire financial situations of their athletic departments. If so, the NCAA would have to change current policy in order for it to happen quickly, according to James Madison athletic director Jeff Bourne.

Already existing fiscal issues for many schools are magnified due to the impact of the coronavirus.

“We find ourselves in really tenuous times in terms of where schools are finding themselves today,” Bourne told the Daily News-Record. “I don’t know this for sure, but I’d anticipate and say the extreme times calls for extreme measures, and [the NCAA] probably would alter some of that thinking in regard to the ability of leagues being more nimble and changed and adjusted.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Buried in a story from the Marshall beat writer is a quote from the MU AD:
Huntington (WV) Herald-Dispatch wrote:There has been talk that conference realignment could stem from the COVID-19 pandemic and its subsequent fallout, but Hamrick said he has not heard of such.

“I have not talked to one person who had any discussion about conference realignment,” Hamrick said.

Given the situation facing Conference USA, changes will have to come for survival of programs, which is why the league’s athletic directors have taken part in conference calls three times a week since the COVID-19 crisis began. Those talks will lead up to the league’s spring meetings, which will now take place virtually on May 18-20. Normally, those are in Destin, Florida.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Not know population of any places we go to. I'll research it when I get time.

I remember when we joined ASUN, someone was disappointed he would not get to go to Radford or Farmville anymore. Jacksonville and Atlanta are both a nicer trip.
ballcoach15 wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 10:14 am Not know population of any places we go to. I'll research it when I get time.

I remember when we joined ASUN, someone was disappointed he would not get to go to Radford or Farmville anymore. Jacksonville and Atlanta are both a nicer trip.
The ASUN has
Jacksonville, Orlando, Atlanta, New York, and Nashville, and Louisville soon.

The Big South has currently
Hampton, Greensboro, Ashville, Charlotte, and Charleston.

It's pretty easy to know the difference.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 10:32 am
ballcoach15 wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 10:14 am Not know population of any places we go to. I'll research it when I get time.

The ASUN has

What BSC school is in Charlotte ?
ballcoach15 wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 10:46 am
Class of 20Something wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 10:32 am

The ASUN has

What BSC school is in Charlotte ?
Winthrop
Sly Fox wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 10:36 am Orlando is a stretch but I feel you.
It’s closer to Universal, Disney, and Camping World than we are to Danville, Roanoke, or Charlottesville. But yeah a little stretch but media markets and population density are the key points.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]