If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Mormons are not known for rushing into decisions. I suspect they wouldn't fancy being painted into a corner by a league they dumped not that terribly long ago.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Would be the height of irony if the Mountain West turned into a 16-team league considering the reason they broke away from the WAC was because it was too big at 16 teams. Also, that move ruined the 64-team NCAA tournament and forced the advent of the play-in game since the new MWC got an automatic bid and the powers that be were unwilling to take an at-large spot away.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m sorta disappointed we didn’t put LU’s move into the ASUN here. It is the MEGA Thread after all! :D
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I think we were waiting for High Point to be added, too.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I had forgot about this thread.

As I was driving back from South Carolina last night, I was thinking about ASUN "road trips". All of them will be longer than trip to South Carolina.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is the football offseason for us so I thought this was appropriate to resurrect for discussion. This article came out a few weeks ago but most of us were distracted with more pressing issues.
Sports Business Daily wrote:Collegiate realignment, round 2?
After the disruption and chaos earlier this decade, is another cycle of conference movement inevitable or will this period of calmer heads and stability continue?

By Michael Smith and John Ourand
December 3, 2018

History says that expansion and TV talks go hand in hand. A conference wants more money? It adds schools.

From 2022 through 2024, three of the five major college conferences will renegotiate their media deals in a marketplace that’s very different than a decade ago, raising questions about who their partners might be and how much they’ll be willing to spend. Not everyone, however, is convinced that conference realignment is a foregone conclusion during the next round of TV talks, according to a dozen commissioners, athletic directors and media executives.

Chatter about four 16-team super conferences has subsided. The likelihood of the 10-school Big 12 expanding is far-fetched. The smallest of the power five leagues gave expansion a thorough examination two years ago and opted to pass, deciding that Central Florida, Cincinnati and Houston didn’t add enough value.
Click Here for Full Story

This is a pretty nice summary of the current state of being for the NCAA. I don't agree completely wth most of the summarizations but this chart is especially significant from our perspective watching this all go down around us:

That shows the timelines of target dates. Keep in mind that most decisions in past realignments have occurred 1-2 years before the expiration of media rights deals. So we should start seeing heat rise in the next couple of years as jostling begins for best position.

The Alston vs. NCAA case mentioned late in the article is the one mitigating factor that throws everything into chaos if amateurism dies. Then all bets are off. You could expect a super league to emerge with probably 40 schools at the top and everyone else scrambling to align which could be very advantageous for us.

As someone with some connections in Austin, I don't see Texas making a lock, stock & barrel move to another conference as things stand. I could see them potentially pull a Notre Dame/ACC-esque deal if they value basketball enough. UT just unveiled plans yesterday for a $300M basketball arena that indicates they are all in on the sport even if th jury remains out on Shaka. But the Big XII remains a strong enough hoops league where the upside is not as enticing as some folks assume. And you may or may not have heard the UT AD referece wanting to renew the A&M rivalry. That shows how different his perspective is from two ADs back when Dodds sincerely said good riddance to the Aggy Nation.

Oklahoma could force issues if they get impatient enough to bolt. There is a different political environment now in OKC where an OU/OSU package deal is not likely to be required this go-around.
By Class of 20Something
The idea of 40 schools leaving the NCAA raises the question for Liberty. Does Doc's vision have us in Division 1-A FBS or the top of collegiate football if they are not the same thing?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
One way or the other we have moved up to great position for whatever goes down. Notre Dame has gone on the record that they won't be going to a pay-to-play model. I think he would be fine with us aligning with the Irish.
By CCWMichael
Sly Fox wrote:One way or the other we have moved up to great position for whatever goes down. Notre Dame has gone on the record that they won't be going to a pay-to-play model. I think he would be fine with us aligning with the Irish.
I am no legal guru and I may be partial here but I think the NCAA has the winning argument in this case ... even out West.
prophetic, pay for play then the others.
FBS, FBS II, FCS ....

I would say I disagree with pay for play but if it comes to it we need to step up with the big boys and get in the big leagues.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:One way or the other we have moved up to great position for whatever goes down. Notre Dame has gone on the record that they won't be going to a pay-to-play model. I think he would be fine with us aligning with the Irish.
That will be interesting. I’ve long thought this would be how it shakes out. I can’t believe ND Alum would be happy with them being seen as Second Tier though. Which is exactly where schools who are not pay for play would be
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Pay for play will destroy college football and more than likely other sports. College athletes should not be paid to play. It would destroy recruiting, bring more rogues into college sports. It would make AAU basketball look like Sunday School Class.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Pay for play will destroy college football and more than likely other sports. College athletes should not be paid to play. It would destroy recruiting, bring more rogues into college sports. It would make AAU basketball look like Sunday School Class.
But if the players are being paid out in the open for everyone to see it takes the shady factor out
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:And some players would take a pay cut when they get to NFL.
Bwahahhhaha
BC...youre kidding right?
By cruzan_flame13
https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... o.amp.html

This article is a few months old, but what if LU made a similar deal with the AAC in a few years? Would it be the same response or would AAC take us with the money to help themselves a little bit? Not saying it will happen but just thought it was a decent read. It’s interesting what the commissioner stated about the longevity of the conference and how they are getting by.

Could they be a P6? :lol:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It very likely will be a P4 before it is a P6.

The AAC supposedly has reached a new media deal that is being kept firmly under wraps for whatever reason.
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote:It very likely will be a P4 before it is a P6.

The AAC supposedly has reached a new media deal that is being kept firmly under wraps for whatever reason.
That is more likely, but will every school from the Big XII find a proper [mega]conference to settle into?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Absolutely not. Iowa State & Baylor have scant hope for finding a new home outside the AAC. And some schools in the other power confreences may find themselves forced to exit based on bad economics.
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote:Absolutely not. Iowa State & Baylor have scant hope for finding a new home outside the AAC. And some schools in the other power confreences may find themselves forced to exit based on bad economics.
I was agreeing with your P4 statement. What you’re saying looks likely to occur in the upcoming realignment.
By tyndal23
This timeline is a major reason I have been clamoring for LU to state and schedule as a P5 equivalent immediately just so we are in the conversation ( well what do we do with ND - and Liberty ) if both schools have the cash it takes to be in the P4P super league and want to be. Not much juice to bring to the table as a G5 equivalent. - It will be a reclassification and should be open to anyone that can join - even if only 40 schools decide to - OR it will bring in threat of lawsuits.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Bumping up our longest thread: Bellarmine to ASUN from DII - UConn to Big East, football future in the AAC unclear.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]