If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Are you in favor of NCAA fines against schools whose students rush the court/field?

Yes
39%
No
61%
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
I dont think students should rush the court. Win with dignity and act like you've been there before. I applaud the fines.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
There are times it looks stupid to rush the floor... like when we did it a few years ago after winning a meaningless game... LUConn or some of the guys may remember which game it was. But for the most part if it is a bigtime game (conference t-ney or major upset) then I see nothing wrong with it. The NCAA tries to take the fun out of everything... just look at the crazy celebration penalties that were thrown in College Football this year.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
this has really gotten out of hand now. after the duke/gtown game there was a fan in a wheelchair near mid court celebrating and it looked as if he was almost getting ready to be trampled. that was of course his choice, and if that would have happened do you think he might have tried to sue GTWN. MCI Center, or the security company?? maybe so. what if a liquored up student wanted to make a run at an opposing player?? in any regard college kids will be college kids, so if the schools do not want the rush on the court, beef up security.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Its situational. There should be a hard and fast, established rule. If it is "no rushing the court", so be it. Then determine whether or not the institution is condoning it, or if there was legitmate attempts made to be compliant (security, barriers, self-imposed disciplinary actions, etc) and if it becomes a repeat occurance.

The point is well made- college kids are college kids- thats why the atmosphere is so great. But it's equally, if not MORE important to protect the safety of the atheletes, coaches, staff and officials as well.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
fsn32 wrote:There are times it looks stupid to rush the floor... like when we did it a few years ago after winning a meaningless game... LUConn or some of the guys may remember which game it was. But for the most part if it is a bigtime game (conference t-ney or major upset) then I see nothing wrong with it. The NCAA tries to take the fun out of everything... just look at the crazy celebration penalties that were thrown in College Football this year.
haha, when we beat Radford in Mel's last year? That was well deserved since we were so terrible and us as fans, sparse as we were, were so sarcastic and negative towards the team.

Here's when it's acceptable:
You beat a FAR superiour team (like for us it would only be a ranked team)
You have just won some kind of championship
You have just won on buzzer beater TO A BETTER TEAM. (the Duke fans looked foolish rushing the court for unranked VT)

There are some other special cases I'm sure but if it's not one of the above and you find yourself on the court after a game, you're most likely an uneducated fan doing your school's reputation a disservice.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Also, there is a no rushing the court rule. Most places have security to prevent it but when the crowd feels a court rushing is warrented, there's not much security can do about it.
By Agent2Be
Registration Days Posts
LUConn - Event security is my background and you are correct that when students want to rush the court/field there is nothing you can do. I like what one college did a few years ago. It was a championship football game, and they put Vasoline on the goal posts so no one could grab onto it. It worked, and no one tore down the goalposts. WVU fans stormed the field in 2003 after beating VT, and the whole town rioted (burning couches and the like). When I went to the backyard brawl that year, police in riot gear stood below each section. A few fans decided to rush the field when WVU beat Pitt, but the police beat the heck out of them - it was a site. Now, I am sure that it was expensive to have that many police officers in the stadium (in riot gear none the less), but it stopped the kids from rushing the field. There are ways to address fans rushing the court, but it takes $$ and commitment from the universities.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I'm surprised the goalpost Vasoline idea didn't get some attention from the rules committee- advantage to having the ball slide on thru or something! Now, ELECTRIFYING the goal posts w/ a 440v line- THATS an idea!
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
fsn32 wrote:There are times it looks stupid to rush the floor... like when we did it a few years ago after winning a meaningless game... LUConn or some of the guys may remember which game it was. But for the most part if it is a bigtime game (conference t-ney or major upset) then I see nothing wrong with it. The NCAA tries to take the fun out of everything... just look at the crazy celebration penalties that were thrown in College Football this year.
haha, when we beat Radford in Mel's last year? That was well deserved since we were so terrible and us as fans, sparse as we were, were so sarcastic and negative towards the team.

Here's when it's acceptable:
You beat a FAR superiour team (like for us it would only be a ranked team)
You have just won some kind of championship
You have just won on buzzer beater TO A BETTER TEAM. (the Duke fans looked foolish rushing the court for unranked VT)

There are some other special cases I'm sure but if it's not one of the above and you find yourself on the court after a game, you're most likely an uneducated fan doing your school's reputation a disservice.
is that when that one dude hit that last minute layup...thats the only time i remember rushing the court..

as for staying on topic, i think that they should be able to...but i also think that security should be able to taser all near them...man that would be hilarious...being tasered is not fun
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Winning the Big South 2 years ago definitely warranted a court rushing...and I say let em' rush.

I don't know if it's changed since I went but the […]

Some statistics

Our team ERA currently sits at #78 nationally. Our[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’[…]

G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]