If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 8th, 2020, 9:55 am I still think it is attacking the symptom instead of the cause but such is life.

I can still enjoy NBA basketball.
The symptom is enslaving people and getting wealthy off that. The cause is hearts without Christ. The NBA isn't going to address the cause so when they ignore the symptom all we got is to point out the hypocrisy during the current environment.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 8th, 2020, 9:55 am I still think it is attacking the symptom instead of the cause but such is life.

Unlike the NBA, the average Joe like me is not in much of a position to attack the problem. The NBA is. Full disclosure, I am typing this on a Lenovo laptop, using WIFI from my Xaomi phone. If I knew what I know now when I bought the phone (which has been fantastic), I would have chosen another option, even if I had to settle for somewhat "less bang for the buck". The computer was a gift, reclaimed and refurbished by my tech-savvy brother when his employer updated their hardware. This is a symptom of the dependence we have developed to Chinese manufactured products. It will take some time for us to move away from that in electronics.

the NBA on the other hand is in a position of power. theoretically the CCP could just cut them off if they make too much noise, but even they would have to think twice before taking away something they absolutely love from 500 million Chinese fans when they have nothing comparable to replace it with. Yes, the NBA's situation is sensitive. I wouldn't expect them to go after the the CCP with full-blown ultimatums, but they can certainly do more than they are, and for sure they can back off the hypocritical virtue-signalling about how horrible America is.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts

What’s the cause? Money? Certainly the NBA wants to cash in on that. Other companies are looking to decouple. The NBA is doubling down
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The cause is the decades long business relationship the United States has had with China that is finally, slowly getting addressed. It actually is the main reason I have contemplated voting for Trump (shocking huh). The NBA is simply enjoying the benefits many other companies have had.

Do I wish they'd do more? Of course but at the end of the day they want to make money and as a capitalist myself, I can't blame them.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 8th, 2020, 11:33 am The cause is the decades long business relationship the United States has had with China that is finally, slowly getting addressed. It actually is the main reason I have contemplated voting for Trump (shocking huh). The NBA is simply enjoying the benefits many other companies have had.

Do I wish they'd do more? Of course but at the end of the day they want to make money and as a capitalist myself, I can't blame them.
As capitalists, at the very least they should be able to see that they are doing themselves no favors with their anti-American virtue-signalling, basically kowtowing to the wishes of some of their "woke" stars. Hardcore NBA fans are still going to watch, but they are losing a lot of support. Ratings have NOT been good.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Ratings for MLB are at an all time low as well. I think that the only people watching are the hard-core fans. I am sure some of it is politically motivated but who knows.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Coming at a time when sports fans have to be starving to see live competition, one would think both MLB and the NBA could see the causal relationship between their political demonstrations and the low ratings. Apparently not.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Formula 1 has been awesome. Sure Mercedes has been dominating but after last weeks finish maybe as not as you’d think. McLaren looking like they are back in the grove. Williams and Haas again disappointing
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We miss F1 here in Texas. It is such a stark contrast to the rest of sports here that it gives the race at COTA a distinctly cool Euro vibe. But I admit I haven't watched any of it since the restart.

As for the NBA, I honestly don't think the Lakers can be fixed in time to do any damage in the coming weeks. LBJ or not, they are a mess. Anthony Davis does not appear to be capable of flipping the switch. The Blazers however look scary if they can squeak into the 7 or 8 slots in the West.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Portland is a better team than they showed earlier in the year. If they can get to the playin game and get into the playoffs, that 1st round match up with the Lakers could be fun.
Purple Haize liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Also, TJ Warren is playing insane basketball right now. He is averaging 34.8 points shooting at 60.5% with 54% shooting from 3. Some of the shots he has made have just been ridiculous. Indy is looking scary good.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 9th, 2020, 11:22 am Also, TJ Warren is playing insane basketball right now. He is averaging 34.8 points shooting at 60.5% with 54% shooting from 3. Some of the shots he has made have just been ridiculous. Indy is looking scary good.
I like their zone. And they seem to have good chemistry. Everyone seems to be on the same page which is rare for the NBA
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
yeah, they are a fun team to watch on both ends of the floor. They will be a handful in the playoffs.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: August 9th, 2020, 1:06 pm Luka is best player in the game right now.
He’s certainly my favorite at the moment. Very old school. Yet with flair and athleticism
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure he is the best, there are a ton of really good players right now but he is one I find most entertaining.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 9th, 2020, 1:30 pm I'm not sure he is the best, there are a ton of really good players right now but he is one I find most entertaining.
Do you ever commit to anything? If you think someone else is best, say so. Make an argument. Let’s go!!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Luka is still young and has defensive liabilities that need to get better before I crown him best in the league. He is my favorite player to watch.

Giannis, due to his skill and length is the best player in the league right now in my opinion.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 9th, 2020, 1:30 pm I'm not sure he is the best, there are a ton of really good players right now but he is one I find most entertaining.
So, estimating the weight of the average "really good" NBA player at about 220 lbs, that would be somewhere around 9? 8)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 9th, 2020, 2:59 pm
So, estimating the weight of the average "really good" NBA player at about 220 lbs, that would be somewhere around 9? 8)
Wow. That should call for a 3 day ban :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 9th, 2020, 3:15 pm
After further evaluation, it's probably 8.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 9th, 2020, 3:25 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 9th, 2020, 3:15 pm

After further evaluation, it's probably 8.
Ok 8 days. Ha
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Giannis is one of those guys who was really likeable as he was establishing himself in the league. But he's turned into a bit of an arrogant diva since the MV award last year.

jk37 - As an X&Os guy who understands the intricacies of the game, I am a bit surprised you aren't down more with Harden.

For the record, Luka is fun and all the Larry Bird comparisons I hear down here in Texas are intriguing. But Larry lifted everyone around him. Right now the only player who seems lifted by Luka's presence is Kristaps.
5 plus 7 model

Ian stated we are working on a neutral site ga[…]

Prayers please

My neighborhood in Gambrills was great. Great fri[…]

Family Travel Obsession

We'll do cruises when our legs and backs don't w[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Fauci Hearing 10 am today. https://oversight.hous[…]