If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 8:44 am I’m just going to throw this out there. It’s easy to speculate and hypothesize on this Board. All of a sudden things that sounded crazy start to make an odd type of sense.
Let me encourage you to go to a “Big Time” football game. Not Tech or UVA. Go to a Clemson game. Go to a FSU game. Go to a ND game. Heck even go to a WVU game. Walk the parking lots. You will see that while LU is light years a head of where they were there’s a long way to go.
I've been to 5 or 6 Wake Forest games. Our gameday matches theirs now. And remember, who you're playing or the conf your in dictates the level of interest.
Kricket, Liberty22 liked this
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 8:44 am I’m just going to throw this out there. It’s easy to speculate and hypothesize on this Board. All of a sudden things that sounded crazy start to make an odd type of sense.
Let me encourage you to go to a “Big Time” football game. Not Tech or UVA. Go to a Clemson game. Go to a FSU game. Go to a ND game. Heck even go to a WVU game. Walk the parking lots. You will see that while LU is light years a head of where they were there’s a long way to go.
Yes and no. In terms of competitiveness, I think we can compete in the ACC tomorrow, at least be around the middle of the pack. Obviously, in a P5 conference, McMurphy's insiders concerns of what happens if Freeze and McKay leave is more legitimate. But being P5 should take care of that. The Ole Miss game will be a good measuring stick to see how we stack up against one of the better SEC programs.

In terms of a fan base, we obviously have a ways to go. We can only fill 70% of our football stadium and we took a step backwards with the Little Arena. But we can and will mostly overcome most of that. Unfortunately, the anti-Christian conservative and the local anti-Falwell historical biases will never completely go away. But winning and being more conscientious about our image will go a long ways.

We're clearly not on the same level as Clemson, Notre Dame, Georgia, BYU, Tech, etc. But most of those schools aren't a fair comparison. Most of the upper echelon would beat us silly on the field, but many we could also compete with. But I do get your baby-steps point.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Yes!
I remember back in the day when LU was trying to get into the Sunbelt. One of the arguments against it was LU won't be able to be competitive. I looked up the last result of LU against some of the other teams being mentioned:

vs. UAB
LU Wins 36-12

vs. Appy State
LU wins 55-48

vs. ODU
LU wins 45-17

vs. Buffalo
LU Wins 35-17

vs. Coastal
LU wins 37-34

vs. JMU
LU wins 26-21
ballcoach15 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Fair enough. And they may have had a point. Nevertheless, we no longer need conference affiliation to get in the FBS. So, are any of these options compelling. If the AAC is now, they won't be next year with Houston and Cincinnati leaving. It's only a matter of time for SMU to go as well. So, what would be the point? A conference is needed for MBB auto-bids, but we're in an favorable position there. So, where's the draw? The upgrade?
Kricket, ATrain liked this
By Ill flame
paradox wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 5:41 pm Fair enough. And they may have had a point. Nevertheless, we no longer need conference affiliation to get in the FBS. So, are any of these options compelling. If the AAC is now, they won't be next year with Houston and Cincinnati leaving. It's only a matter of time for SMU to go as well. So, what would be the point? A conference is needed for MBB auto-bids, but we're in an favorable position there. So, where's the draw? The upgrade?
We will just have to wait and see how it plays out. The AAC can either completely fall apart or add the right teams and be an attractive option for us. Independence is looking like the better longterm option more and more everyday
ATrain liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 5:41 pm Fair enough. And they may have had a point. Nevertheless, we no longer need conference affiliation to get in the FBS. So, are any of these options compelling. If the AAC is now, they won't be next year with Houston and Cincinnati leaving. It's only a matter of time for SMU to go as well. So, what would be the point? A conference is needed for MBB auto-bids, but we're in an favorable position there. So, where's the draw? The upgrade?
It's interesting you say this. I was just reading that some schools are denying the AAC due to the entry/exit fees. It's a rumor at this point, but if true it increases our odds at going AAC. One of the schools mentioned was UTSA.

Point being, schools in the Sun Belt may not see a need to move at this point as it's not a giant step up, and the TV deal may not justify the exit and entrance fees.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
What makes you so sure that we would even want this now? Yeah, I get it, we were the desperate one in the past. But are we now? There has to be something in it for us, right?
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 6:18 pm What makes you so sure that we would even want this now? Yeah, I get it, we were the desperate one in the past. But are we now? There has to be something in it for us, right?
I don't think we are desperate and I'm also torn if I'd take an AAC invite at this time. I think we would to help out all the other sports gain a more competitive conference.

It would strengthen our teams across the board and offer a better TV deal in the short term. If we ever wanted to leave when we outgrow the conference, we can always go back independent.

I'm just pointing out that it seems more realistic we could get an AAC invite by the day.
LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:53 am Crazy rumors in my neighborhood from people who know people who know people who know people...or something like that:
Following Air Force's decision not to join the AAC, Navy football will be returning to its independent status. Additionally, Temple is pulling a UConn and moving its sports to the Big East while going the football indy route.
This is not crazy talk. It woul dlikely wind up being very beneficial to our Indy lifestyle if these moves came to fruition.
Kricket, ATrain liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 8:41 pm
ATrain wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:53 am Crazy rumors in my neighborhood from people who know people who know people who know people...or something like that:
Following Air Force's decision not to join the AAC, Navy football will be returning to its independent status. Additionally, Temple is pulling a UConn and moving its sports to the Big East while going the football indy route.
This is not crazy talk. It woul dlikely wind up being very beneficial to our Indy lifestyle if these moves came to fruition.
Combine this with the fact that the Big 12 may not be done stealing AAC schools and we just need to wait until this round of realignment shakes out.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
I agree, I just wish Ian would let us know what he is thinking or give us an update. I do trust that he will make the right decision for Flames Nation no doubt.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I’m not sure I buy Temple to the Big East. I don’t think they bring much value to the conference, and the Big East doesn’t have to do any hand-wringing about all the football-driven realignment, so they can be choosy about who joins the conference.

I think Temple may want to join the BE, but not sure if it would be reciprocated. This isn’t John Chaney’s Temple Owls.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 4th, 2021, 10:06 am I’m not sure I buy Temple to the Big East. I don’t think they bring much value to the conference, and the Big East doesn’t have to do any hand-wringing about all the football-driven realignment, so they can be choosy about who joins the conference.

I think Temple may want to join the BE, but not sure if it would be reciprocated. This isn’t John Chaney’s Temple Owls.
I don't believe a decision by the Big East to take Temple or not would be based on the current strength/weakness of their basketball program. There is a ton of history between the 2, and IMHO Temple would get an instant boost in MBB recruiting by being in the Big East as opposed to the AAC. In other sports, they would be competitive (but not dominant) and they are a great fit for the geographic footprint.
By BlueBlood
olldflame wrote: October 4th, 2021, 10:22 am
stokesjokes wrote: October 4th, 2021, 10:06 am I’m not sure I buy Temple to the Big East. I don’t think they bring much value to the conference, and the Big East doesn’t have to do any hand-wringing about all the football-driven realignment, so they can be choosy about who joins the conference.

I don't believe a decision by the Big East to take Temple or not would be based on the current strength/weakness of their basketball program. There is a ton of history between the 2, and IMHO Temple would get an instant boost in MBB recruiting by being in the Big East as opposed to the AAC. In other sports, they would be competitive (but not dominant) and they are a great fit for the geographic footprint.
I have often thought that Temple could be a possible BE add. However, the BE is currently unbalanced - with 6 is in the east and 5 in the west. This would only add to the unbalance (all sports, I'm not thinking basketball).
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LUalum12 wrote: October 4th, 2021, 9:56 am I agree, I just wish Ian would let us know what he is thinking or give us an update. I do trust that he will make the right decision for Flames Nation no doubt.
This is one of those deals that's best done with utmost secrecy.
JCS Flames Fan 31 liked this
By JCS Flames Fan 31
Kricket wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 9:08 am
Speculate? Was someone speculating we're going P5? I think it's fairly obvious statement. We are nowhere near ACC level, in terms of fan base.

It was glaringly obvious reading Syracuse's message board. They had something like 5,000 posts on their game day thread. I know that doesn't mean much by itself but it did indicate to me our fan base has a long long long way to go to be at an ACC level.
I agree on the ACC speculation, that just needs to stop. We have got be realistic when it comes to us going P5 anytime soon, those schools have generation after generation of fans literally across the country. LU as an institution hasn't been around along enough for us to have generational fans, moneywise we're not far off and u could maybe make an argument we're there. I agree we've come along way quickly, but we have to be honest that really only the 2017 Baylor win, the 2019 and 2020 seasons have done anything of real significance from a football program standpoint as far as how the Big Boys view us. I get that now we are at least taken seriously as far scheduling goes and that teams aren't going to be just adding us for what they assume is an easy W anymore. I just think we have gotten a bit entitled to thinking we "SHOULD" be in the AAC realignment like it's a given because we had basically one good FBS season, we don't have decades of success. We have 3 solid years of Men's BBall success with Ritchie being back and 2 solid years of FBS football success (although Cure Bowl isn't something i'm bragging to any of my ACC buddies down here in Charlotte, NC about). If we were to get an AAC invite we should feel honored they extended it to us, not entitled that we deserved and what took them so long. I believe the BEST is yet to come for LU and if bigger and better things come to LU, then i'll be the first to bite my words here. I just think we all should just be ecstatic and excited we're even in rumors at all. :D
flameshaw liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: October 4th, 2021, 10:22 am

It wouldn’t be out of left field, and I see the advantage for Temple, but I don’t see the BE’s angle here. They already have Nova for the Philly market and Temple as it is would just water down the basketball product, which is BE’s bread and butter.

I think them going back to the A-10 is a more likely scenario.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cincinnati and Houston got into Big 12 without having a large fanbase "across the country". Heck , LU probably has more fans "across the country ", than Cincinnati or Houston.
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
Big XII Expansion Part Deux is the driving factor here. Whether they take 4 PAC12 schools or Boise, Memphis, and some other combination. IMO, the seismic G5 shift will probably occur then. This is obviously what is hindering the AAC's ability to lure schools. I think if the AAC wants to get ahead of this they probably need to secure at least 6 schools with the right combinations of brand, success, market and potential So it would really depend on who's going with us as far as the AAC's concerned right now, cause you have to factor in the real possibilities of Memphis, Temple, and Navy leaving rather soon.

Fortunately, something's brewing and we're in on it. I believe this just based on what's happening, some of the things that Ian has said over the summer, and the reported discussions he's had with Marshall, JMU,ODU, and who knows who else. Patience is a virtue.
Last edited by LUOrange on October 4th, 2021, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't like LU being mentioned on the same page with JMU and ODU, much less the same sentence. JMU and ODU bring NOTHING to the table.
This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]

2024 Season Thread

Thanks for the work you put into these. It is appr[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

https://x.com/thevivafrei/status/1801347846974661[…]