If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If there are not significant changes to the football playoff proposal or NCAA governance, there is zero advantage to CUSA expanding. But both of those could be impacted based on what goes down next month. 9 is perfect for a round robin in football which would allow for a conference championship between the top two teams. Ten has some potential advantages for hoops but football is driving this bus.

And there is a big difference between travel to El Paso and Fargo in November and certainly during the winter sport seasons. I am not referencing distance.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 10th, 2022, 5:38 am If there are not significant changes to the football playoff proposal or NCAA governance, there is zero advantage to CUSA expanding. But both of those could be impacted based on what goes down next month. 9 is perfect for a round robin in football which would allow for a conference championship between the top two teams. Ten has some potential advantages for hoops but football is driving this bus.

And there is a big difference between travel to El Paso and Fargo in November and certainly during the winter sport seasons. I am not referencing distance.
Sounds as if conference championship game will be a rematch from regular season. (not good)

As for El Paso and Fargo, it is closer to Fargo from Lynchburg than El Paso, but El Paso would be a much better road trip.
By LUOrange
ND weather vs. SW TX/SE NM is obvious, but we're flying to both and the MVFC & the Summit teams appear to handle the travel league appropriately, if not fine.

But again, IMO, there's no question NDSU football would add a lot to CUSA football, should they join if when/the NCAA makes the predicted rule & CFP changes.
By tyndal23
If CUSA isn’t good enough, control your SOS with the 4 game non con scheduling.
Round Robin - tough to win twice but divisions has more downside IMO. Even Conferences with Divisions and cross division games often have a repeat matchup for title game.

If insistent on adding teams and football truly is the driver...would this make sense? ( not sure if NDSU can stay in a FCS Conference without football, but the others already have homes.

NDSU ( football only )
UCONN ( football only )
Army ( football only )
UMASS ( football only )
Kennesaw St ( all sports ) or whoever makes sense
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I guess I’m just not understanding why Army doesn’t make a full conference commitment somewhere. They are never going to be in a huge Bowl to reap in a lot of money
LUOrange liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 10th, 2022, 6:30 pm I guess I’m just not understanding why Army doesn’t make a full conference commitment somewhere.
What is the purpose of Army Football? Could joining a conference be counter to the purpose?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: January 10th, 2022, 8:14 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 10th, 2022, 6:30 pm I guess I’m just not understanding why Army doesn’t make a full conference commitment somewhere.
What is the purpose of Army Football? Could joining a conference be counter to the purpose?
I’m not sure I understand the question
By LUOrange
Purple Haize wrote: January 10th, 2022, 6:30 pm I guess I’m just not understanding why Army doesn’t make a full conference commitment somewhere. They are never going to be in a huge Bowl to reap in a lot of money
I'm guessing that they like the bus trips and academic pedigrees of the Patriot League. There's also probably no interest to leave it since Navy's in the Patriot as well. Just my guess.
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: January 10th, 2022, 8:50 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 10th, 2022, 6:30 pm I guess I’m just not understanding why Army doesn’t make a full conference commitment somewhere. They are never going to be in a huge Bowl to reap in a lot of money
I'm guessing that they like the bus trips and academic pedigrees of the Patriot League. There's also probably no interest to leave it since Navy's in the Patriot as well. Just my guess.
Agreed. Army would join CUSA football only, simply IF they feel independent is too much of a strain trying to schedule. As long as they can play AF, Navy ( both of which are in Conferences ) annually, I don’t see the downside. Fewer and fewer schools want to schedule an option team anymore, regardless how patriotic it seems and with 3 less Independents, they might take an invite.
By LUOrange
Army would probably join the AAC before CUSA cause that would bring Air Force into the conference with them. I don't see either happening, especially CUSA.
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: January 10th, 2022, 11:07 pm Army would probably join the AAC before CUSA cause that would bring Air Force into the conference with them. I don't see either happening, especially CUSA.
Maybe. Does AAC invite them? Doubtful. Army Navy game is set up annually after Conference Champ games are played - that won’t change and would not work in AAC. Geography - CUSA wins out if UConn,UMass are also added. I for one am in no hurry to invite them or anyone else, I like 9 and round robin. There aren’t any FCS teams that will give CUSA enough credibility short term to matter. Adding NDSU doesn’t leap frog CUSA over anyone. Again, if Conference isn’t strong enough for future CFP then tweak Non Con schedule to make up for it.
By Ill flame
Adding teams is the worst thing c-usa can do right now unless it clearly adds something to the league and I'm not sure anyone fits that description. Army was in c-usa as recently as 2004 and hated it. They definitely wouldn't be interested now. The best thing c-usa can do now is negotiate a tv deal with maximum exposure and hope they play well in football and basketball to change their reputation for the next round of realignment. Considering everyone in this conference will be very motivated to get out I'm optimistic that might happen.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
So, in realignment news:
Loyola - Chicago to the A10
Stony Brook, Monmouth, and Hampton to the CAA
Belmont & Murray State to the Missouri Valley Conference, with UIC another likely add
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 11th, 2022, 2:00 am Adding teams is the worst thing c-usa can do right now unless it clearly adds something to the league and I'm not sure anyone fits that description. Army was in c-usa as recently as 2004 and hated it. They definitely wouldn't be interested now. The best thing c-usa can do now is negotiate a tv deal with maximum exposure and hope they play well in football and basketball to change their reputation for the next round of realignment. Considering everyone in this conference will be very motivated to get out I'm optimistic that might happen.
Saw this on another forum.

Matt Brown (who seemed to have a pretty good pulse on all this stuff) said Mo State, Kennesaw State, North Dakota State and South Dakota state are next up if C-USA expanded.
By LUOrange
TH Spangler wrote: January 28th, 2022, 8:41 am
Ill flame wrote: January 11th, 2022, 2:00 am Adding teams is the worst thing c-usa can do right now unless it clearly adds something to the league and I'm not sure anyone fits that description. Army was in c-usa as recently as 2004 and hated it. They definitely wouldn't be interested now. The best thing c-usa can do now is negotiate a tv deal with maximum exposure and hope they play well in football and basketball to change their reputation for the next round of realignment. Considering everyone in this conference will be very motivated to get out I'm optimistic that might happen.
Saw this on another forum.

Matt Brown (who seemed to have a pretty good pulse on all this stuff) said Mo State, Kennesaw State, North Dakota State and South Dakota state are next up if C-USA expanded.
That'd put CUSA at 13. Not opposed to it though.
By Ill flame
For the longterm health of the conference rhey need to pick a geographic direction and stick with it. Missouri state is the only one that makes sense to me. It has the potential to be a solid fbs and they would fit in geographically. That would give them a fairly solid core in the mid south to expand from later instead of just picking random schools across the southern half of the country.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 28th, 2022, 1:38 pm For the longterm health of the conference rhey need to pick a geographic direction and stick with it. Missouri state is the only one that makes sense to me. It has the potential to be a solid fbs and they would fit in geographically. That would give them a fairly solid core in the mid south to expand from later instead of just picking random schools across the southern half of the country.
Kennesaw State would also be a good add from a geographic perspective. There are rumors that NC A&T also wants to make the jump to FBS
By BlueBlood
I'm firmly in the less is more camp. The new C-USA is already viewed as the lowest of the G5s. I think adding more FCS schools right now further waters down the product. Two is enough.

Even though C-USA might be considered the basement conference by many right now, there are things to like. NMSU and LT have state names (and there is some value in that). WKU, MTSU, UTEP and FIU are longstanding G5s that aren't dissimilar from schools in other G5 conferences. LU is an upstart. Then, you have the two FCSs.

The conference might be considered "the worst" by some, but it's still a G5 platform and folks have some familiarity with most of the schools. Some of the schools have had recent success, some have had success in the past. If a couple C-USA schools do well enough, they will garner attention. Honestly, if a couple schools do a good enough, the leagues image can improve quickly.

For me, the only reason to add more FCS schools would be to help certain sports out. C-USA doesn't have enough teams for Men's soccer (2 teams), and only has 4 Men's tennis teams (although I'm not sure that matters much). C-USA will likely need to cut Womens swimming (only 3 teams) as a sponsored sport. If those sports were only one or two schools off - I could see the argument for adding more schools - but they aren't just one or two schools off and I don't think adding 4 or 5 more FCS schools is a good idea at all. I think it's better letting the schools with those sports figure it out than to flood the league with FCSs.

So, for me - no to more FCS adds....... Except, like many - Missouri St is the school I'd be okay with adding. It's got a state name and is centrally located. And probably ND St. (who isn't near anybody, but is the one FCS that would not be viewed as diluting football)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 29th, 2022, 9:29 am NC A&T or Missouri State would be a better addition to CUSA than Kennesaw State.
A&T has always seemed to rise above the MEAC malaise. I think they could do it.

Bethune, Coppin, Morgan, UMES, SC State….another story.
By LUOrange
CUSA probably should at minimum add 1 more to get to 10. MO State or a school as close to Liberty as possible would be my preference. Although, I'm not opposed to CUSA holding at 9. Especially since there may be still a possibility of the SBC East Division breaking off in a few years.

However, if CUSA is going to expand more and without picking off an FBS school, I wouldn't go beyond 3 to get to 12 members. My preference would be NDSU, SDSU, and again, a school close to LU. If you can't get the Dakota Twins, my preference is any of our new ASUN rivals- APSU, UCA, EKU, and Kenny State. I was initially really opposed to the ASUN FBS conference move up rumor, but then we got screwed by 1, more, or all of Marshall, JMU, ODU and the SBC. Now I'd rather be with those that want to play with us, a "dance with the one that brought you" mentality.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]