If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Jonathan Carone wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 8:54 am I don’t think some of you realize the budget size of some of these AAC schools, even if you take football out.
https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/ ... e2474.html

Has a beautiful graph of athletic budgets of Virginia schools.
Liberty is spending north of $45 Million.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

A simple click on the conference column and the AAC is just below the A-10.
  • 49 Connecticut AAC $83,121,820
  • 54 Cincinnati AAC $62,804,292
  • 56 Houston AAC $55,277,308
  • 57 Central Florida AAC $56,327,225
  • 59 South Florida AAC $48,227,500
  • 60 Memphis AAC $48,443,158
  • 61 East Carolina AAC $48,387,287
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ok, cool. So we’re close to spending same as our proposed AAC brethren. That’s only part of the puzzle.

Does Liberty grow the whole pie so everyone gets a greater annual payout even after LU is added?

Is that increase worth the hit each member takes for accepting a school like Liberty into its group?

Time will tell.
By tyndal23
Would probably have to bring a chunk of cash with us - driving force would probably be the convenience of staying a 12 team league with divisions vs 11 and having to shuffle things around.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
What about LU joining the AAC as an associate member in football only?

Positives is Presidents don't vote on associate members, just the commisioner and ADs do, I believe.

Other LU sports stay in Asun,

AAC can pick up a basketball school.

LU then gets a football conference and bowl tie ins.

Just a thought. Makes scheduling much easier, and probably improves LU's home fb schedules.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: August 1st, 2019, 11:04 pm If they wanted a football only school, they could have held on to UConn who is going Independent.
Not sure the AAC wants to add another football school. Their last addition was Wichita State - and who knows how long the shockers will stay...
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Adding a football school does more for a conference than adding a basketball school.

But then again, the Big South added Longwood, thus anything is possible .
By tyndal23
The only reason to go AAC would be for the entire athletic department - football is the one sport you have to really question if it is the right long term move. If you don’t think P5 conference or P5 equivalent Indie will ever happen - then it is the right move. As for AAC - Liberty makes sense if looking at all sports and their ceiling - that plus the fact the odd team schedule is a pain - I could see LU getting serious consideration but shot down by multiple presidents due to the brand. My guess is the AD’s would be all for it. Hoops was the big hit for AAC but football drives them and LU replacing UCONN in Football is far different than LU replacing a UCF or Houston.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
California has no reason to back down. Kicking California school's out would mean the best talent leaves the NCAA and moves to California. The other schools/states won't have this. It'll force the NCAA to fold. This NCAA threat is toothless. Some kids are about to get paid!
Last edited by TallyW on September 12th, 2019, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cruzan_flame13
We live in a corporate society. NCAA does have some power plus have a voice, but money talks louder! College sports is about to change real soon in my opinion.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have made my stand on paying college athletes known before, and nothing can change my mind. COLLEGE ATHLETES SHOULD NOT BE PAID. If they were to be paid, it would destroy college sports. Anyone who is employed by a college who advocates players should be paid, should be terminated.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote: September 12th, 2019, 7:30 am I have made my stand on paying college athletes known before, and nothing can change my mind. COLLEGE ATHLETES SHOULD NOT BE PAID. If they were to be paid, it would destroy college sports. Anyone who is employed by a college who advocates players should be paid, should be terminated.

You get really close to good posts but are really missing the mark. If you remove the last line of absurd ultimatum, and replace it with a line of reasoning then we're on our way to a constructive post that contributes to the conversation.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 12th, 2019, 7:30 am I have made my stand on paying college athletes known before, and nothing can change my mind. COLLEGE ATHLETES SHOULD NOT BE PAID. If they were to be paid, it would destroy college sports. Anyone who is employed by a college who advocates players should be paid, should be terminated.
Why would it destroy college athletics?? You continue to say this but haven't really done a great job at explaining your stance on this issue.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I always land somewhere in the middle on this one. I am not sure if colleges should be paying their athletes but I have no problem with a student athlete making money off of their likeness the same way any other student can.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 12th, 2019, 9:21 am I always land somewhere in the middle on this one. I am not sure if colleges should be paying their athletes but I have no problem with a student athlete making money off of their likeness the same way any other student can.
That would open the door to illegal recruiting. There's too much illegal recruiting taking place now.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 12th, 2019, 9:30 am
thepostman wrote: September 12th, 2019, 9:21 am I always land somewhere in the middle on this one. I am not sure if colleges should be paying their athletes but I have no problem with a student athlete making money off of their likeness the same way any other student can.
That would open the door to illegal recruiting. There's too much illegal recruiting taking place now.
At the risk of stating the obvious.

If they make something legal, then it is no longer illegal to do it.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Truth be known, it probably almost impossible to commit a recruiting violation now. Example: The NCAA basketball scandal where FBI caught college coaches buying recruits, yet I haven't heard of any of the schools getting punished by NCAA. There are several schools that should have a post season ban right now. Buying a recruit is the worst possible violation.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 12th, 2019, 11:07 am Truth be known, it probably almost impossible to commit a recruiting violation now. Example: The NCAA basketball scandal where FBI caught college coaches buying recruits, yet I haven't heard of any of the schools getting punished by NCAA. There are several schools that should have a post season ban right now. Buying a recruit is the worst possible violation.
Sorry the wheels of justice are moving too slowly for you. We have this thing in the US called "due process". You can't just penalize people, and then if it turns out they are innocent say "my bad".
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]