Georgia QB Justin Fields to Ohio State

If you want to talk Big South smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.
JK37
Scorched Earth

Re: Georgia QB Justin Fields to Ohio State

Post by JK37 » January 6th, 2019, 4:36 am

The story pretty clearly lays out the baseball angle, too.

Cider Jim
Sizzlin' On The Sun

Post by Cider Jim » January 6th, 2019, 5:26 am

Waiting for Ballcoach to respond to this one...
"If you want a salad, CJ, go to Panera"--LUconn
"If Cider hit the books any harder, they'd press charges"--Lefty
"I shall not participate in many discussions..." :rofl --Fumble (1961-2009), RIP

lynchburgwildcats
Scorched Earth

Post by lynchburgwildcats » January 6th, 2019, 10:42 am

Seems like a reasonable request to me

adam42381
UNC Fan

Post by adam42381 » January 6th, 2019, 1:07 pm

BuryYourDuke wrote:Why? Because a college student yelled something racist from the stands at a game, or at least that’s what his attorney says. So he shouldn’t have to sit out a year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/justin-fields- ... 37092.html
BuryYourDuke wrote:The baseball angle being that he wouldn’t feel safe playing baseball there?

I’m all for the kid’s right to transfer to Ohio State if he’s not good enough to beat out Jake From State Fromm.

But hiring a troll attorney and cynically claiming to feel “unsafe” due to racism so you don’t have to follow the rules speaks pretty horrifically of his and his father’s character.

Never thought I would say this in my life, but I’m rooting for Tate.
I don’t understand your outrage here. A Georgia baseball player called him the N-word and was kicked off the team for it. It happened. You don’t know whether he feels unsafe or not.
LUnpretty11 wrote:PH, your BJ skills impress me.

ballcoach15
Scorched Earth

Post by ballcoach15 » January 6th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Cider Jim wrote:Waiting for Ballcoach to respond to this one...

The dumbest person in the country should know Fields is transferring because he is #2 on depth chart at Georgia. Even the NCAA knows this.
Baseball has nothing to do with this transfer. Zero.
I hope he has to sit out a year, and never sees the field for Ohio State. Anyone who transfers from SEC to Big 10 isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

RubberMallet
Michigan Fan

Post by RubberMallet » January 7th, 2019, 12:15 pm

if he wins with that poor of an argument, this will open the floodgates. shea won because of documented violations by Liberty's new HC. and it apparently was only by slim margins that he did.

what will be interesting is that Tate Martell is legit. There is no guarantee that fields will be the starter at OSU either.
Formerly ishbox.

<--idiot, i guess, per bigsmooth/thepostman

<--smart jerk per bigsmooth

SuperJon wrote: I love dc Talk.

BJWilliams
2008 Poster of the Year

Post by BJWilliams » January 7th, 2019, 8:26 pm

That is true, but Drew Brees is an example of a "shorter" quarterback who can be successful at the NFL level. If Martell wins the job, he will need to show an elite level of accuracy to see that to fruition though
Liberty Class of 2009
2007 AND 2008 Big South Football Champions
2014 FCS Playoff Qualifier

RubberMallet
Michigan Fan

Post by RubberMallet » January 8th, 2019, 4:36 pm

brees was a prostyle qb at purdue. martell is not. he doesn't have the arm accuracy anywhere close to that or haskins. not saying it can't develop but if he's drafted, its for something other than QB in my opinion.
Formerly ishbox.

RubberMallet
Michigan Fan

Post by RubberMallet » January 10th, 2019, 5:20 pm

martell likely to transfer per reports.
Formerly ishbox.

ballcoach15
Scorched Earth

Post by ballcoach15 » January 11th, 2019, 12:00 am

FBS football is reaching the point to where it's no longer signing a high school QB and coaching him up for 3 or 4 years. With all these transfers, it's becoming:

Rent-A-Quarterback

JK37
Scorched Earth

Post by JK37 » January 11th, 2019, 8:42 am

College football has also reached the point where many WB’s come already “coached up”. Just look at who the best QB on the field was Monday night.

ballcoach15
Scorched Earth

Post by ballcoach15 » January 11th, 2019, 9:15 am

JK37 wrote:College football has also reached the point where many WB’s come already “coached up”. Just look at who the best QB on the field was Monday night.

WB's ? Do you mean QB's ?

Freshmen QBs do come more prepared now than in the past.

RubberMallet
Michigan Fan

Post by RubberMallet » January 11th, 2019, 1:18 pm

BuryYourDuke wrote:New coach must have let him know that this won’t be an open competition.
thats the speculation. on 11warriors (the big OSU forum) they are freaking out because many don't believe that fields will get his appeal approved. But others are like, this wouldn't of happened if they didn't know for sure but Martell has been a loudmouth through this entire process.
Formerly ishbox.

JK37
Scorched Earth

Post by JK37 » January 11th, 2019, 2:15 pm

ballcoach15 wrote:
JK37 wrote:College football has also reached the point where many WB’s come already “coached up”. Just look at who the best QB on the field was Monday night.

WB's ? Do you mean QB's ?

Freshmen QBs do come more prepared now than in the past.
Yes, meant QB’s. Thanks for clearing that up BC.

BJWilliams
2008 Poster of the Year

Post by BJWilliams » January 13th, 2019, 9:25 pm

And looks like Austin Kendall at OU is possibly headed to tbe transfer portal (if he isnt in it already)
Liberty Class of 2009
2007 AND 2008 Big South Football Champions
2014 FCS Playoff Qualifier

ballcoach15
Scorched Earth

Post by ballcoach15 » January 14th, 2019, 10:50 am

All these transfers remind me of elementary school playground where we "chose up" and played at recess every day. Different teams every day.

CCWMichael
Wildfire

Post by CCWMichael » January 14th, 2019, 11:43 am

ballcoach15 wrote:All these transfers remind me of elementary school playground where we "chose up" and played at recess every day. Different teams every day.
And, we have not even addressed coaching carousels

Bidness is bidness

Purple Haize
Potentate of the Dark Side

Post by Purple Haize » January 14th, 2019, 11:51 am

ballcoach15 wrote:All these transfers remind me of elementary school playground where we "chose up" and played at recess every day. Different teams every day.
Sociologists will tell you that the #1 problem with Sport today is the decline and vanishing of Play.
Suck on my Funk and Wagnalls! - Unknown
LU Athletics: Praise God and hide the Co-Eds!!

RubberMallet
Michigan Fan

Post by RubberMallet » January 14th, 2019, 11:54 am

while i think this isn't good, i think the NCAA doesn't care about this at all. It keeps them in headlines and allowing players more freedom in this regard may allow them to shed the "pay them" criticism somewhat. at least allow them to kick the can down the road.
Formerly ishbox.

ballcoach15
Scorched Earth

Post by ballcoach15 » January 14th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Purple Haize wrote:
Sociologists will tell you that the #1 problem with Sport today is the decline and vanishing of Play.
I have always maintained that all sports, this side of Professional ranks (MLB, NFL, NBA) should be about playing the sport and trying to win championships............................not $$$$$$$$$.

Purple Haize

Post by Purple Haize » January 14th, 2019, 4:26 pm

I knew my comment would go over your head

ballcoach15
Scorched Earth

Post by ballcoach15 » January 14th, 2019, 5:00 pm

I am not into mind games.

oldflame
Inferno

Post by oldflame » January 14th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Purple Haize wrote:
How well I know. It's even getting that way here in the 3rd world. I have daily interactions with about a dozen kids between the ages of 2 and 14. They love to play............. video games. I did manage to find something they actually like to actively play with. Bought 3 nerf guns and 100 foam darts for about 25 bucks on Amazon as Christmas presents. They love it, but after about 20 minutes it's back to the tablet, laptop and cellphone. I try to set time limits, but it's tough. I've already told my son that in a couple of years when he is old enough he is going to baseball school in the afternoon after he finishes class. He seems to like the idea right now. We'll see.

Purple Haize

Post by Purple Haize » January 14th, 2019, 6:36 pm

oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
How well I know. It's even getting that way here in the 3rd world. I have daily interactions with about a dozen kids between the ages of 2 and 14. They love to play............. video games. I did manage to find something they actually like to actively play with. Bought 3 nerf guns and 100 foam darts for about 25 bucks on Amazon as Christmas presents. They love it, but after about 20 minutes it's back to the tablet, laptop and cellphone. I try to set time limits, but it's tough. I've already told my son that in a couple of years when he is old enough he is going to baseball school in the afternoon after he finishes class. He seems to like the idea right now. We'll see.
Well you are closer in understanding than ballcoach unsurprisingly. We no longer allow kids to just Play. It has to be organized with rules, score and championships. There is plenty of time for that but the idea of Sport has filtered so far down into Youth Activities it’s sad. With your 3 nerf guns and 100 nerf darts you did more for those kids at that age then setting up a double elimination round robin tournament

CCWMichael
Wildfire

Post by CCWMichael » January 14th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Purple Haize wrote:Well you are closer in understanding than ballcoach unsurprisingly. We no longer allow kids to just Play. It has to be organized with rules, score and championships. There is plenty of time for that but the idea of Sport has filtered so far down into Youth Activities it’s sad. With your 3 nerf guns and 100 nerf darts you did more for those kids at that age then setting up a double elimination round robin tournament
#Strong