If you want to talk Big South smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.
By ballcoach15
#549267 Former LCA player Pearce Howard hit 3 home runs yesterday for University of New Orleans. How did LU let him get away ?
By SumItUp
#549270 I'm not sure of the specifics of this player's situation, but there are a lot of factors to consider. Was he recruited by LU? Did he want to go away to another school? UNO has a good baseball program. If a baseball player wants to play, there are a lot of other factors to consider. Maybe there was a pathway to playing time at UNO for this season that was not likely to happen at other schools (including LU) for a couple of years.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#549271
ballcoach15 wrote:Former LCA player Pearce Howard hit 3 home runs yesterday for University of New Orleans. How did LU let him get away ?


Maybe he didn’t want to go to College across the street from where he went to HS?
By thepostman
#549272 I know I wanted to get as far away as possible from my high school. So that seems pretty normal to me.
Last edited by thepostman on April 16th, 2018, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
#549276 During Finals at state tournament last season, I was told that he "had no offers". He was a late pickup by UNO. He was the 3rd best hitter I have ever seen in high school baseball.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#549284
ballcoach15 wrote:During Finals at state tournament last season, I was told that he "had no offers". He was a late pickup by UNO. He was the 3rd best hitter I have ever seen in high school baseball.


You have questionable ‘Sources’
By SumItUp
#549287 Baseball offers can be complicated. There are only 11.7 athletic scholarships available for D1 programs. Every player that receives athletic aid must receive a minimum of a 25% offer. The maximum number of athletic scholarships available is 27. With rosters of 35, there are always players on a roster that do not have athletic scholarships. Most programs concentrate their offers for key positions/players. While the strategies are different and the information is not public, it is my understanding that most fully funded programs keep their offers in the 15-18 player range. There are a number of D1 baseball programs that are not fully funded and do not have the whole allotment of 11.7 to offer.

Baseball offers are not as common as basketball or football offers. It does not surprise me that a very talented baseball player did not have any offers at the end of their senior high school season. That is not a unique scenario.
By ballcoach15
#549289 Good information Sumitup. I have always maintained NCAA should allow more in baseball and softball. Basketball fields only 5 players on court, yet they can give 12 full rides if my memory is correct. Baseball and softball fields 9 players. I think baseball and softball should have at least 18 full rides .
By olldflame
#549292
ballcoach15 wrote:Good information Sumitup. I have always maintained NCAA should allow more in baseball and softball. Basketball fields only 5 players on court, yet they can give 12 full rides if my memory is correct. Baseball and softball fields 9 players. I think baseball and softball should have at least 18 full rides .


Men's basketball has 13 scholarships. Women's has 15.
User avatar
By BJWilliams
#549294
ballcoach15 wrote:Good information Sumitup. I have always maintained NCAA should allow more in baseball and softball. Basketball fields only 5 players on court, yet they can give 12 full rides if my memory is correct. Baseball and softball fields 9 players. I think baseball and softball should have at least 18 full rides .


How ya gonna pay for it if you offer 36 more full scholarships? the money is gonna have to come from somewhere
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#549306
ballcoach15 wrote:I know very little about how they are paid for, but I.would think most schools could do it.


And you would be wrong. Beej brings up a solid point
By JK37
#549310 It’s only fair to point out that most athletic scholarships are not subsidized. They are essentially discounts. That said, there is still value lost in a scholarshipped s-a taking a paid spot from the university.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#549315 Hard to believe, ballcoach, but some kids would choose The Big Easy over Lynchburg. :shock:
I once had a cousin who chose Tulane over WVU or Marshall. I'm still trying to figure that one out. :dontgetit
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#549325 Ballcoach, what if you weren't a D1 prospect? Any D2 or D3 schools you like?
By JK37
#549330
ballcoach15 wrote:If I was being recruited there are only 3 schools I would consider:

Liberty
Virginia Tech
Alabama


Is that for any sport? For example, what if you played a sport in which one or more more of those schools are terrible?
By ballcoach15
#549333 Any sport.


As for Bluefield State and Concord "not near anything", both are in a good locations. They are just off I-77/460, not far from Princeton, WV.
I-77 can take you down south or go north and hit 64 to go west. or 460 can take you to Lynchburg and points east.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#549334
ballcoach15 wrote:Any sport.


As for Bluefield State and Concord "not near anything", both are in a good locations. They are just off I-77/460, not far from Princeton, WV.
I-77 can take you down south or go north and hit 64 to go west. or 460 can take you to Lynchburg and points east.


This from a guy who says Asheville is off the beaten path. Asheville, which sits on I - 40 and I - 26. Cause, you know, those roads lead to nowhere :roll:
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#549342 I'm guessing the rural settings of Bluefield and Concord, WV remind ballcoach of dear old Gretna. What's not to like? :oldhag
By Chris Lang
#549448 Princeton has a Southern XPosure and an Omelet Shoppe. So there's your nightlife.
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#549459 Don't forget Princeton's Cracker Barrel.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#549472
rogers3 wrote:These threads make me laugh.


It’s what makes this board great
By JK37
#549487 I can’t believe I got pushback on my assessment of Concord and Bluefield.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#549493
JK37 wrote:I can’t believe I got pushback on my assessment of Concord and Bluefield.


Consider the ‘Source’