If you want to talk Big South smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.
By flamesfilmguy
Purple Haize wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Ok I clearly got us WAY off topic here...

As I said before, the focus now is on September. The Yanks are 1 point up on Guatemala with two matches left. I fully expect a win over SV&G. If Guatemala loses to Trinidad, the US is into the next round. Id rather not have our fate come down to September 6.

They are not all Yanks. Some were born below the Mason Dixon line and I think 1 or 2 in other Countries

We are all yanks when it comes to anyone in Europe, Asia, South America, etc.
By Purple Haize
flamesfilmguy wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Ok I clearly got us WAY off topic here...

As I said before, the focus now is on September. The Yanks are 1 point up on Guatemala with two matches left. I fully expect a win over SV&G. If Guatemala loses to Trinidad, the US is into the next round. Id rather not have our fate come down to September 6.

They are not all Yanks. Some were born below the Mason Dixon line and I think 1 or 2 in other Countries

We are all yanks when it comes to anyone in Europe, Asia, South America, etc.

When did BJ move out of the Country?
By Purple Haize
#511823 Stunning. Messi misses his first PK ever. Chile wins although it technically is a tie. Again. 3rd straight summer Argentina has lost in a final. 2nd year in PK's.
By ALUmnus
Purple Haize wrote:Stunning. Messi misses his first PK ever.

Not sure where you heard/saw that, but it's not true.

That was a good game, but it gets harder and harder to defend soccer from scoreless draws when it always seems to happen on the biggest stages. Sure, Messi missed his PK, but that game was on Higuain & Aguero, who both missed clear opportunities.
By Purple Haize
ALUmnus wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Stunning. Messi misses his first PK ever.

Not sure where you heard/saw that, but it's not true.

That was a good game, but it gets harder and harder to defend soccer from scoreless draws when it always seems to happen on the biggest stages. Sure, Messi missed his PK, but that game was on Higuain & Aguero, who both missed clear opportunities.

I was going by the announcers and commentators. Maybe they meant in International play? I love PK shoot outs but there has to be a better option. After 90 mins no one is going to take a chance in the extra 30 to lose the game in OT.
You are right Higuain and Aguero (anyone see Di Maria) had great opportunities that missed. The first half was truly entertaining Players were flying. Cards were flying. Fans going crazy. Then they just sort of burned out during half time. Oh well.
Now the drama continues with Messi saying he is done with International Soccer. And 7 of his teammates are close behind. Apparently they have had enough of the Argentine Federation. I would suspect that besides the general corruption they are seeing how other Countries treat their players and realize Argentina isn't on the same level. With Messi taking a stand and hopefully the others you may see a huge upheaval in Argentine soccer
By jbock13
#512200 Been says we'll beat Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. BOLD prediction.
By BJWilliams
jbock13 wrote:Been says we'll beat Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. BOLD prediction.

Couldn't decide what to call me could you?
By ATrain
#512449 The state our national team is in right now, we'd lose to Iceland. And yes, I have seen Iceland play...in person...in the UEFA group stage when they beat Austria at the last second at the Stade De France.
By BJWilliams
#515957 USA pounds Trinidad and Tobago 4-0 to win Group C and punch their ticket to the final stage of qualifying
By jbock13
BJWilliams wrote:
jbock13 wrote:Been says we'll beat Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. BOLD prediction.

Couldn't decide what to call me could you?

Autocorrect 1, jbock13 0. Full time.
By BJWilliams
#516033 First up in the final stage...El Tri on November 11
By ALUmnus
#516049 This isn't national team news, but two soccer threads may be more than this board can handle...

So it looks as if MLS will cap its expansion at 28. Currently with 20 teams, there are 4 exansion franchises on the horizon: Atlanta and Minnesota next year, another LA team after that, and then Miami sometime in the future.

That leaves 4 more cities that may be fighting for an MLS team. What cities do you guys think have the best chance?
It also wouldn't surprise me to see a couple franchises move in the future.
By Purple Haize
ALUmnus wrote:This isn't national team news, but two soccer threads may be more than this board can handle...

So it looks as if MLS will cap its expansion at 28. Currently with 20 teams, there are 4 exansion franchises on the horizon: Atlanta and Minnesota next year, another LA team after that, and then Miami sometime in the future.

That leaves 4 more cities that may be fighting for an MLS team. What cities do you guys think have the best chance?

I thought you were going to bring up this http://islfutbol.com/fcb/. Just opened a new one in Charlotte
Surprisingly they don't want to pair with an existing MLS franchise like Manchester City does but they are exploring something on the Women's side
By BJWilliams
#516061 hmm...its tough to think about because a lot of the biggest markets are spoken for. Id say Atlanta is possible...Charlotte might be problematic with BoA Stadium once football season starts, but if they can plan it out that could work...San Antonio perhaps (although there are two MLS franchises in Texas already)...
By Jonathan Carone
#516062 If you're gonna go to the Carolinas you're looking at Raleigh or Cary. Nashville and Richmond also have great soccer followings.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see another Canadian team. Reaching down into Mexico City would be totally out of the box and not likely but may not be horrible.
By Purple Haize
Jonathan Carone wrote:If you're gonna go to the Carolinas you're looking at Raleigh or Cary. Nashville and Richmond also have great soccer followings.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see another Canadian team. Reaching down into Mexico City would be totally out of the box and not likely but may not be horrible.

Why not Charlotte? I posted what Barcelona is doing there. Might be a good fake tie in? Although if it's in the Triangle I hope they hire the NC State coach :D
By Jonathan Carone
#516072 You already have a 10,000 seat soccer specific stadium that has been used for national team games and hosted the NCAA championship. It's also more centrally located between the soccer hot beds in the state. You reach into the Wilmington market in the Triangle. Lastly, you have an NASL club in Cary already where Charlotte only has a USL club.
By Sly Fox
#516093 Will the MLS allow a 10-thousand seat stadium in the league?

It seems my friends that have been attending FC Cincinnati games report they have built nice following. Perhaps Cincy could be in the mix.
By Jonathan Carone
#516095 They'd definitely have to expand the Cary stadium. I was just pointing out they already had a good sized soccer specific stadium so the groundwork is there. Most of the soccer stadiums in the league are in the 18-22k range. A few are upper 20s and then there's the football stadiums.
By thepostman
#516102 MLS seems big on expansion teams having soccer specific stadiums built ether before they join the league or shortly thereafter much like orlando city which will will begin play in their soccer specific stadium next season.

So I would imagine any city looking go get MLS in their city would have to do something similar.
By ALUmnus
#516108 I don't think Mexico City would work, since LigaMX is bigger than MLS.

A while back I read that a couple billionaires are trying to get a team in Detroit (here's their site http://mlstodetroit.com/investors/).
A group in Nashville has been trying for a while now. I keep hearing St. Louis. And then also Sacramento (please, no) and Las Vegas.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Colorado and Vancouver franchises relocated in the near future.

Smaller markets like Richmond and Rochester have big followings, but I don't think they'd be considered.
By ALUmnus
Purple Haize wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:This isn't national team news, but two soccer threads may be more than this board can handle...

I thought you were going to bring up this http://islfutbol.com/fcb/. Just opened a new one in Charlotte
Surprisingly they don't want to pair with an existing MLS franchise like Manchester City does but they are exploring something on the Women's side

This makes sense since Charlotte's a hotbed for development, but Barca also just opened up an office in NYC to expand their presence in the US.
By Sly Fox
#516205 The NFL, NBA & MLB should have been in Mexico City years ago. I would argue that Mexico could support franchises in three cities (Ciudad de Mexico, Monterrey & Guadalajara). The narco violence has been the only thing holding back movement south of the border, The money and massive fanbases are ready & waiting.

But when LigaMX teams have used franshises in MLS for playr development it gives you an idea of how unlikely it is for the MLS to move south.

I thought the franchise in Vancouver was drawing well. Is that no longer the case? Once oil jumps back up then Calgary becomes another possibility north of the border.
By Sly Fox
#516213 Since when has soccer ever minded corruption? The sport practically revels in it. Narco violence is the only issue and that is getting under control in the three major cities. Hopefully it is gone completely soon.
By Purple Haize
Sly Fox wrote:Since when has soccer ever minded corruption? The sport practically revels in it. Narco violence is the only issue and that is getting under control in the three major cities. Hopefully it is gone completely soon.

Yes But FIFA corruption doesn't usually end up with someone dead. Columbia sure. MLS?
By jack_sparrow81
#516225 There has been a lot talk that MLS may give Tampa another shot and move up the Rowdies. The owner has made improvements to Al Lang Stadium and is willing to put the money in to finish it if they move up. I don't understand the reasoning of putting another team in LA. Didn't Chivas USA play in LA before they folded?
By ATrain
Sly Fox wrote:Since when has soccer ever minded corruption? The sport practically revels in it. Narco violence is the only issue and that is getting under control in the three major cities. Hopefully it is gone completely soon.

What sport doesn't revel in corruption???
By BuryYourDuke
#516234 St Louis would almost definitely get one of those 4 spots.

Richmond had some of the very highest soccer television ratings in the country, week in and week out. It's been that way for several years. However, being so close to DC makes any shot of an MLS club an impossibility. Never going to happen. Plus, you know, the whole stadium situation. If you live here, you know what I'm talking about.

I thought Atlanta was a lock. Minnesota should be a good market. Plus the stadium will be a solid target for the Somali Isis members that have settled in.
By jack_sparrow81
#516269 Lol, I'm suprised they haven't laid RFK to rest yet. I remember going to a nationals game at the beginning of their first season and the crowd was jumping during a late rally and you could feel the upper deck move significantly. Can't United play at Nationals Park like NYC does at Yankee stadium or even Fedex field?
By ALUmnus
#521256 BIG game tonight. 7pm on FS1. Let's see how the youngsters do against Mehico.
The US's depth is much-improved, but I'm not so sure about their quality. It hasn't really mattered in this match-up, but we'll see.

And stop with the 'dos a cero', you're in America, dangit, speak English!
By BJWilliams
#522799 We don't have another qualifying match until March according to ESPN so while I do think that to get the Yanks even close to the upper tier of international soccer would take a lengthy rebuilding process down to the deepest roots of the foundation of US Soccer, I do understand to a small degree making a move with an eye toward making it out of WC 2018 Qualifying and getting into the 2020 Olympics
By adam42381
#522807 I'm not sure either. He had a lot of success with the National Team, but I think they should have gone elsewhere.
By Purple Haize
adam42381 wrote:I'm not sure either. He had a lot of success with the National Team, but I think they should have gone elsewhere.

I am hoping he is just a place holder. I like Klinsman. But I don't think everyone in USA Soccer bought in from Day 1 and he was still riding high from his Germany run
Oh well
By ALUmnus
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don't hate the move to Arena, but I'm not quite sure I understand it. Is he the long term plan or just a stop gap to stop the bleeding?

I think he's under contract through this coming World Cup. So this is basically his tryout for a longer deal.
By ALUmnus
#524225 A couple more cities are getting into the soccer expansion game: Tampa and Raleigh.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/m ... ina-120716
The day started with the Carolina Railhawks rebranding as North Carolina FC and announcing that they intend to get an MLS expansion team in the next 12-18 months. The club, currently in the NASL, but potentially moving to the USL, will continue playing and is looking at stadium sites in the Raleigh area.

Later in the day, the Tampa Bay Rowdies said they were launching a similar plan. The club, which is moving from the NASL to the USL this year, wants to expand Al Lang Stadium, a 7,500-seat baseball stadium that the soccer team now uses.

By LUnpretty11
#525787 Charlotte is making a play to have an MLS team. I am sure it would be either Raleigh or Charlotte. Can't imagine NC having two teams, but soccer is big enough in this state to justify it.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/ne ... -from.html

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinio ... 33369.html

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/p ... 68244.html
By BJWilliams
#538270 The USMNT lost to Trinidad and Tobago last night and failed to qualify for the World Cup. This will be the first time since 1986 that the Yanks will not be competing.

I was reading some of the comments on Twitter and SuperJon raised the point about the competing goals of growing MLS and the national team...and also the points about how our best athletes are growing up in other sports. I think I mentioned this before, but I really think we may need to blow up our soccer system, all the way to the youth level.
By Purple Haize
#538271 I guess Jurgen really wasn't the problem. He never got the buy in and when he tried to root out the apathy he got the boot. Arena fared no better.
By thepostman
#538274 This is a blow to a sport that had seen growth in this country. Every 4 years the world cup increases exposure to soccer in the US. Without that growth will slow down.
By BuryYourDuke
#538281 Definitely rooting for Iceland.

Sunil, you've had a job for far too long. Don't let the door hit ya...
By RubberMallet
BJWilliams wrote:The USMNT lost to Trinidad and Tobago last night and failed to qualify for the World Cup. This will be the first time since 1986 that the Yanks will not be competing.

I was reading some of the comments on Twitter and SuperJon raised the point about the competing goals of growing MLS and the national team...and also the points about how our best athletes are growing up in other sports. I think I mentioned this before, but I really think we may need to blow up our soccer system, all the way to the youth level.

we are a country of 330 million people losing to much smaller talent pools. the athletes are here, we just don't train them as well.