If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlameFanInCarolina wrote:Nice call from the Dark Side on being FCS ready.
Thank you! I deserve all ridicule and scorn for the error. :D

But the :flamingdevil is still strong
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:By Jerry saying that, it means one of three things:

1) There's a Conference USA shake up we don't know about
2) We're suing our way to Independent
3) He spoke when he shouldn't have

If he was actually confident that we were receiving an invite, he wouldn't have made that statement.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:By Jerry saying that, it means one of three things:

1) There's a Conference USA shake up we don't know about
2) We're suing our way to Independent
3) He spoke when he shouldn't have

If he was actually confident that we were receiving an invite, he wouldn't have made that statement.
Ding ding ding.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I think Jerry had been hanging around the Donald a bit too much...
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Definitely not a conference invite, they got rejected twice by the sunbelt. maybe they filed an appeal to the NCAA to move up as a Indy. Maybe they're going to hear something back that's favorable. With liberty's history of suing/appeals I don't think it's that far off.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If JFLJR's actual words were that we "hope" to be playing in FBS in a few months, I don't have a problem with it It would seem to indicate that some potential paths have opened up that weren't there before If that is the case, I see nothing wrong with being "hopeful"
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:If JFLJR's actual words were that we "hope" to be playing in FBS in a few months, I don't have a problem with it It would seem to indicate that some potential paths have opened up that weren't there before If that is the case, I see nothing wrong with being "hopeful"
If he said "a few months" then he is blowing smoke. Even if we accepted an invite today then we wouldn't be playing FBS football for 2 years maybe 3. Technicality, I get it, but it's important when it's coming from your school's president. It would prove we are not where we would hope to be in the realignment world.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Damien Sordelett with the News and Advance has a great response in his Flames Mailbag to a question about President Falwell's statement:

Q. Liberty president Jerry Falwell Jr. told reporters Wednesday that hopefully the Flames will be in an FBS conference in a matter of months. Is that even possible and will a conference take Liberty?

A. For those who have been following Liberty or are diehard alums, that statement isn’t news. Falwell announced at the 2012 graduation that Liberty was FBS ready and ever since then, the chance to jump up has been the goal. First, there was the flirtation with the Sun Belt Conference that wasn’t reciprocated, and now there is the possibility of another wave of conference realignment once the Big 12 figures out what it wants to do.

That is why Falwell told reporters he hopes it is a matter of months. Reports have indicated that a decision will be made in the winter if the Big 12 will expand to at least 12 teams, which will have a trickle-down effect. The conference will likely take two teams from the American Athletic Conference, which will then force the AAC to raid Conference USA for members. Plus, there’s also the possibility the Mountain West Conference expands into Texas and poaches those teams from either the AAC or C-USA or both.

Liberty will be an option for both the AAC and C-USA, with the latter being the more attractive option for the Flames. Why is that? Here’s why: the Flames would have three travel partners (Old Dominion, Marshall and Charlotte) upon entering the conference and the C-USA is a better geographical fit for Liberty, especially if the Texas schools are heading to other conferences.

Think of it this way: the C-USA would have a similar footprint to the Big South-Atlantic Sun football conference merger if North Texas, Rice, UTEP and UTSA move, and the C-USA fills those voids with teams along the East Coast.

Now, will those four Texas schools all change conference affiliation at once? Highly unlikely, but not far-fetched considering there have been more drastic moves during realignment.

That brings up the second part of the question: will a conference take Liberty? I believe so. There are ADs in C-USA that would like to see Liberty join (namely the three travel partners) and it would make too much sense for that conference to add the Roanoke-Lynchburg television market.

If a conference doesn’t take Liberty in this next potential realignment movement, does Liberty move up as an independent? Say that happens. Where would the other sports play? The Big South would likely not allow Liberty to play its other sports in the conference since football would be losing its FCS automatic bid (unless more members are added before then), and the only two sports that would have affiliations are field hockey in the Big East and swimming & diving in the CCSA (Coastal Collegiate Sports Association).

The ramifications would be greater than just football, which is why a move to become FBS independent is not feasible.

Here's the link to the full article:

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/damie ... b6788.html
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned ... &f=5649893

9/20/2016 cast, 48:00 min mark. ODU's Selig very high on Liberty. Talking about a complete shake up for G5. Putting teams like ODU, JMU. UNCC, APP State, GA Southern in the same conference.
He was effusive in his comments about Liberty. That's good to hear, especially if a C-USA opening arises.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
It kinda reminds me when I was a student and they would get up on stage on convocation and say "hey we're gonna be on ESPN"!!!!!

Yeah, ESPN... 3
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Saying that things that technically might be true, but really aren't.
By LUDad
Supposing a Trump victory...could a call or two from the Oval Office be a game changer in Liberty's bid to join a BCS conference?
By Old Red
If a conference doesn't already want us, I don't think a call from the President, especially a controversial one, is going to help us one bit.
By Jonathan Carone
LUDad wrote:Supposing a Trump victory...could a call or two from the Oval Office be a game changer in Liberty's bid to join a BCS conference?
If the president is involved in NCAA athletics then we have bigger problems.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
On the other hand, the Big 12 changes its mind from one moment to the next, so...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... expansion/

And Oklahoma State's benefactor, T. Boone Pickens, seems to take a dim view of anything OU President David Boren says:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... ith-gundy/

I think it's safe to say they are the NCAA's most dysfunctional "Power 5" conference. ;)
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Wild speculation.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to find the WAC eastern division.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:Wild speculation.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to find the WAC eastern division.
This writer agrees with you:

"But there is absolutely no debate whether the the Big 12 is better for the University of Nebraska.

"It’s not even close. And not just because the Big Ten is more prestigious academically. Not just because the Big Ten is far more lucrative financially — NU will soon be receiving more than $50 million in media rights. No, the biggest reason — just like six years ago — is the stability of the Big Ten.

"The Big Ten is a brick house. The Big 12 is a childhood fort constructed with pillows, blankets and masking tape."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/bigr ... 71f6f.html
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Barry Switzer makes the extremely blunt case against letting Houston into the Big 12

9:50 mark

"Only 85 players, and you’ve got 340 million people in the United States and the talent that’s coming out of high schools now," Switzer said. "Everybody gets good. Don’t give them credibility. I’ve always said if I could get the top 30 players that came out of Houston every year, I’d play for the national championship every year."
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Given what has transpired over the past few days - the exchange between President Falwell and the LU student group opposing Donald Trump, his appearances in major newspapers and on cable news networks, doggedly defending the GOP nominee and, regardless of the nuance of a personal vice an institutional endorsement, associating Trump with Liberty University - I think we can forget about an FBS invitation. The acrimony generated by this election isn't going away after November 8th, and school presidents have long memories.

Am I being pessimistic in my prognosis?
By Jonathan Carone
rmiller1959 wrote:Given what has transpired over the past few days - the exchange between President Falwell and the LU student group opposing Donald Trump, his appearances in major newspapers and on cable news networks, doggedly defending the GOP nominee and, regardless of the nuance of a personal vice an institutional endorsement, associating Trump with Liberty University - I think we can forget about an FBS invitation. The acrimony generated by this election isn't going away after November 8th, and school presidents have long memories.

Am I being pessimistic in my prognosis?
It's been one of the major factors all along.
Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]