Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cello18
Registration Days
Fumblerooskies wrote:AGAINST THEM...of course.
I wish I could be a fly on the wall for that... :-P.
By pbow
Registration Days Posts
is clay still on the team????
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Yes he is. He is very good at it, too.
By pbow
Registration Days Posts
Fumblerooskies wrote:Yes he is. He is very good at it, too.
yea clay's the man...he's pretty gangster :D
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The 2009 Big South Conference Quiz Bowl tournament is finally leaving the Commonwealth of Virginia as Gardner-Webb University has agreed to host the tournament on Saturday, February 7th. In the previous 3 years, the tournament was hosted by VMI, Radford, and most recently at Liberty last year. Liberty is the 3-time conference champion and will be defending its title this year.

Liberty is returning only two starters from last year's team (Zach Curtis & Nick Orta), as we had 2 students graduate and one starter chose not to return. However, we have our own "Magnificent Seven" who will be suiting up for the first time this year in their red polos.
We're bringing back many of our Quiz Bowl alumni to scrimmage against our current varsity Quiz Bowl team. I floated the idea by some of our alumni this week, and got an overwhelming response. They can't wait to suit up again with a buzzer in their hand. Confirmed alumni returning for the event include:

Dallas Shipp
Jeff Taylor
Kelly Hamren
Richard North

And we are hoping to get Brad Salois back, who was our first-year team captain and currently works at VMI in their sports information department. Also, Dr. Heady is returning to serve as the honorary coach of the alumni team. The scrimmage will be at 6:00, and we are still trying to confirm a classroom location in DeMoss for the event.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BUMP

The LU Quiz Bowl team has 2 big tournaments coming up this week:

1. We're scrimmaging the English Dept. faculty team tonight (Tuesday, Feb. 3) at 6:45 p.m. in DeMoss 1090; the faculty team consists of Dr. Prior, Dr. Harris, Dr. Hamilton, Dr. Alban, & Prof. Schimmels. (last year our Quiz Bowl team beat the general faculty team 400-5).

2. We travel to Gardner-Webb this weekend for the Big South Conference tournament on Feb. 7th. We are the 3-time defending Big South Champions, but are only returning one player from last year's team; plus, Presby is playing this year.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:BUMP

The LU Quiz Bowl team has 2 big tournaments coming up this week:

1. We're scrimmaging the English Dept. faculty team tonight (Tuesday, Feb. 3) at 6:45 p.m. in DeMoss 1090; the faculty team consists of Dr. Prior, Dr. Harris, Dr. Hamilton, Dr. Alban, & Prof. Schimmels. (last year our Quiz Bowl team beat the general faculty team 400-5).

2. We travel to Gardner-Webb this weekend for the Big South Conference tournament on Feb. 7th. We are the 3-time defending Big South Champions, but are only returning one player from last year's team; plus, Presby is playing this year.
I guess you decided to go with the Syracuse non-conference scheduling and hand-picked some patsies and avoided a REAL faculty team that would give you a run for your money.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Didn't the "REAL faculty team" lose 400-5 last year?

Fumble, if you can round up 5 players from your department/school for next year, we'll put you on the schedule for 2010--as long as you only COACH the faculty team.

But you have to admit, it will be fun watching the English faculty trying to solve the math questions tonight.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Even without Fumble, the LU Quiz Bowl team won 2 close games against the English Dept. faculty team:

Game 1: 240-230 (our only lead came in getting the correct answer to the last question)
Game 2: 265-225

Friday we are leaving to defend our 3-time Big South Conference championship at Gardner-Webb University.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Congrats on the wins for the team.

Best of luck this weekend on the 4-peat!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
English dept. gave y'all trouble? In that case, you wouldn't stand a chance against the athletic department team :P
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ATrain, I'll already looking for a faculty or staff team to play in 2010. Maybe coaches? Or LU Admins? :)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I was looking at the stat sheet from Game 1 against the faculty. After 14 questions, the faculty team was leading us 230-120, but then our student team went on a 120 point run over the last 4 questions and won on the last question 240-230, with our only lead coming after getting the last answer right!
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I was looking at the stat sheet from Game 1 against the faculty
Can I get the link where I can get the Live Stats? Also if I get the Edge can I tune in?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
In all seriousness, KK has streamed the BSC Quiz Bowl tournament before.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:In all seriousness, KK has streamed the BSC Quiz Bowl tournament before.
Yes...I do believe he did that last year when LU hosted. However, there is NOTHING announcing the tournament or anything on the Big South web site.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I know; I checked. Kyle, if you are reading this, the tourney is only 3 days away!
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I know; I checked. Kyle, if you are reading this, the tourney is only 3 days away!
More blatant Anti-Liberty bias...for they know going in who will win...again!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The standings at the lunch break:

UNCA 4-0
VMI 4-0
G-W 3-2
LU 2-2 (wins over G-W 105-45 & Presby 210-50; losses to VMI 100-140 & UNCA 55-115)
PC 1-3
Radford 1-3
Winthrop 0-5

It looks like LU's reign as Big South Champs is over, but we're pulling for in-state VMI. Two games remain--LU vs. Winthrop @ 1:30 & LU vs. Radford @ 2:15. The Big South Edge is streaming the tourney for only $3.95, and our 1:30 will be broadcast.
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
YEA! BEAT PRESBY!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Final Standings:

1. UNCA (6-0)
2. VMI (5-1)
3. Liberty (4-2)
4. G-W (3-3)
5. Presby (1-5)
6. Winthrop (0-6)