Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cello18
Registration Days
Cider Jim wrote:If you want to view the "varsity sport of the mind," the Big South Conference is streaming their Quiz Bowl tournament on Saturday, Feb. 11, beginning at 9:00 a.m. and ending around 4:00 and LU's team is the defending conference champions. Watch them defend their title live at this link:

http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm? ... 05&TeamID=
Will the games this weekend be available for watching on the internet?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Welcome to the board, Cello18. You ask a good question.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The Big South Quiz Bowl tournament was available online, but to the best of my knowledge the regional tournament in Knoxville is not.

Tonight, we played 3 games, and are record thus far is 1-2:
Lost to Washington & Lee, 155 to 315
WON against UNCA, 180 to 140 (that win was dedicated to you, Fumble!)
Lost to Davidson, 115 to 265

Tomorrow we have around 8 games scheduled.
By cello18
Registration Days
Cider Jim wrote:
The Big South Quiz Bowl tournament was available online, but to the best of my knowledge the regional tournament in Knoxville is not.
Alrighty... Thanks for the update. Hope tomorrow goes well 8)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
We finished 5th out of 14 teams, winning 8 games and losing 5.

Our best victory was beating William & Mary 270-150, who finished 8th in the tournament. Fumble, UNCA finished tied for last with Wofford with a record of 1-12. Southern Virginia University won the tournament and went undefeated, but their average age on their team was 38, and we were only trailing them by 5 points at halftime (and beat them at their place last semester). Here are the final standings at the end of the tournament:

(1) SVU, 15-0 (LU lost 170 to 300)
(2) VA Tech, 12-3 (LU lost 140 to 380)
(3) Washington & Lee, 11-2 (LU lost 155 to 315)
(4) Georgetown, 9-4 (LU won 250-210)
(5) Liberty, 8-5
(6) Davidson, 8-5 (LU lost 115 to 265)
(7) Radford,7-6 (LU lost 135 to 190)
(8 William & Mary, 7-6 (LU won 270 to 150)
(9) Roanoke, 5-8 (LU won 270 to 135)
(10) VMI, 4-9 (LU won 240 to 105)
(11) Citadel, 3-10 (LU won 350 to 120)
(12) UNCC, 2-11 (LU won 220 to 155)
(13) UNCA, 1-12 (LU won 180 to 140)
(14) Wofford, 1-12 (LU won 425 to 115)

For this being our first regional tournament, I'm pleased that we finished close to the upper 3rd, esp. beating W&M.
Last edited by Cider Jim on February 25th, 2007, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
I hope those 38 year olds have a great time...
...wondering if they will be allowed to take their multiple wives on the trip to nationals.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I'm guessing their victory celebration looked like Gasoline Alley with all of the milk guzzling.

Congrats on the 5th place finish, Cider Man.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
nice writeup in the newspaper thing I get at home (National Liberty Journal ?)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Thanks, Medic, Sly, and Fumble. We had a good run in the tournament this weekend and gained some respect for our university and its academics.

Fumble, in all seriousness, if you are working on an Ed.D., you would be eligible to play for our team next year: we are allowed to carry one graduate student, and all you need is to take at least 3 hours per semester--so think about it. We only practice one hour a week, beginning next August.
Study
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Wow, fumblerooskies must've really impressed in that faculty victory. :mrgreen:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
CIDER, that was you in the pic right? (NLJ)
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Fumble, in all seriousness, if you are working on an Ed.D., you would be eligible to play for our team next year: we are allowed to carry one graduate student, and all you need is to take at least 3 hours per semester--so think about it. We only practice one hour a week, beginning next August.
Study
3 would be a break. I'm taking NINE this semester. I will think about it...
...but my gut reaction is that this "should" be for the college-aged guys.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
my gut reaction is that this "should" be for the college-aged guys.
Tell that to SVU--who is going to Los Angeles for the Nationals. Seriously, we have no one on our team with your knowledge of sports information, which was a huge gap in our play last weekend (for example, there was one question that was simple addition of players' numbers and another one about Robin Yount that we missed). We could have really used you in Knoxville, Fumble.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
hmmmmm....
...thinking here. That could certainly be something I could add to my faculty portfolio as part of "service to the university." :lol:

Seriously. I will think about it. Are there some "Quiz Bowl Boosters" with whom you can get me in touch with? :wink:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
What do you do at halftime of a Quiz Bowl "game?" Does a deisgnated Quiz Bowl Mom bring oranges and other types of fruit and juice boxes? Do they stretch and catch their breath? What goes on?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
no to all of the above, but the band takes the 3rd quarter off anyway :twisted:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Are there some "Quiz Bowl Boosters" with whom you can get me in touch with?
The university does cover our meals and puts us up in some nice hotels: $25 for dinner, $14 for lunch, and $10 for breakfast; we stayed at the downtown Knoxville Hilton, a block away from the World's Fair Park from 1982. And we have our own uniforms--red Polos with the LU athletic label and "Quiz Bowl" stitched on the sleeve.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:no to all of the above, but the band takes the 3rd quarter off anyway :twisted:
Post of the day nominee!
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:The university does cover our meals and puts us up in some nice hotels: $25 for dinner, $14 for lunch, and $10 for breakfast; we stayed at the downtown Knoxville Hilton, a block away from the World's Fair Park from 1982. And we have our own uniforms--red Polos with the LU athletic label and "Quiz Bowl" stitched on the sleeve.
I was thinking more in terms of, at the bare minimum...
...my own oversized leather La-Z-Boy (if I am to be the old man on the team);
...60" plasma HD-TV (must be able to watch Jeopardy in life-like color);
...Double-wide locker (obviously needed to hang the polos and khakis);
...Full field, locker room, weight room, buffet privileges for my entourage, personal trainer, athletic trainer, and for my body guard, Gerard. (never can be too careful, you know);
...My lovely wife be designated Team Mom (someone must bring the bananas and juice boxes between games);
...Full use of both "The Cream" and "The Clear." (It might not make me smarter, but with a head the size of Barry Bonds', the opposition would certainly be intimidated by a cranium that large).

Certainly, in the name of winning and helping place LU further in the limelight, the good Rev. Dr. Falwell should be financially able to meet this contract language.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'm your body guard?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Fumble, most of your requests are negotiable, with one exception--we can't afford to feed Gerard as your body guard. :jawdropper
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:I'm your body guard?
I figured you would be available...
...I don't think Manny Rojas, Dorm Linebacker, is available, so...
...consider that your SMGT internship ;)
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
More importantly, how the crap did you remember my first name?
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:More importantly, how the crap did you remember my first name?
I pay attention to what is posted on here...
...YOU actually brought it to my attention, in your rant about your roomie getting busted.

I don't know if it's changed since I went but the […]

Some statistics

Our team ERA currently sits at #78 nationally. Our[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’[…]

G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]