Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
They only took ONE team from our region 5, UNC, and LU beat them!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
At least I found out that they weren't picking names out of a hat or looking into a crystal ball.

http://www.naqt.com/stats/rating-values ... up_id=1026

Accomplishments for the 2011-2012 LU Quiz Bowl team:
1. beat Duke twice and Virginia Tech twice
2. beat the #1 team in our region, UNC
3. won our 6th Big South Conference championship in 7 years
4. finished 3rd in the NAQT regionals (out of 12 teams from VA, NC, and TN)
5, finished 37th in the nation (out of 107 teams)
Last edited by Cider Jim on November 4th, 2012, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I mean seriously, are we willing to accept this kind of middle of the road team.

37th in the country, WITH OUR BUDGET? ! I am tired of putting lipstick on a pig around here.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:I mean seriously, are we willing to accept this kind of middle of the road team.

37th in the country, WITH OUR BUDGET? ! I am tired of putting lipstick on a pig around here.
Quiz Bowl has a budget? lol
Faculty Quiz Bowl Scrimmage
DeMoss 4027
TONIGHT--Tuesday, March 6 @ 5:00

Come see our Big South Champion Quiz Bowl team playing against the English Dept. Chair, the Director of the English MA Program, a General Education professor, and a Philosophy professor.

Afterwards, Dr. Godwin is treating LU's Quiz Bowl team to dinner at Crown Sterling.
LU beat the faculty team 2 out of 3. Our only loss was when I put the JV team in for the second game.

Game 1: LU varsity A over the faculty team, 185-140
Game 2: LU faculty over LU junior varsity, 345-120
Game 3: LU varsity A over faculty teaam, 315-150

My favorite part was when a true freshman on the JV team beat 3 English Ph.Ds. to a Hemingway question.
We have confirmed 5 new Quiz Bowl recruits for the fall semester, all of whom are National Merit Finalists who boast an average SAT of 1400. This promises to be our best recruiting year yet.

Freshmen Team
1. Abigail Brubaker--NMF English major from Leola, PA (literature, drama, pop culture, music)
2. Aaron Hultstrand--NMF Math major for Bismark, ND (math, history, science, literature, sports)
3. Greta Hanks--NMF music/Spanish major from Garner, NC (music, history, geography, literature)
4. Doug Stevens--NMF undecided major from Wade, NC (literature, history, & religion)
5. Gabrielle Killough--NMF English major from Montgomery, AL (literature, philosophy, pop culture)

Historically, our weakest areas have been music, drama, geography, and pop culture, so this freshman class should immediately be challenging our two varsity teams for playing time.
Last edited by Cider Jim on November 4th, 2012, 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sly, we had a former captain from Texas, and he feels your pain, as well. However, we do have a rising senior on the team, Sabrina Hardy, who is an English major (and former debater) from San Antonio, so rest assured that the Lone Star State is definitely represented on the varsity squad.
JK, we had a West Virginian from Beckley on the freshman team last year that BEAT Duke. How is that for "defy[ing] redneck stereotypes"? :wink:
Sly, the bigger question is, do people in Beckley consider Morgantown part of WV? :wink:
JK37 wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Do folks from Morgantown even consider Beckley part of West Virginia?
I think so, lol. I do. Tamarack & Woodrow Wilson boys bball.
Stopped at the Tamarack West Virginia Welcome center for dinner. (see Facebook) They have Greenbriar chefs there in the cafeteria. MMM. Oh, it's part of West Virginia
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Our Novice tournament is Saturday at Virginia Tech, and here's the field:

Virginia Tech (2 teams)
UVa (3 teams)
Washington and Lee (one team)
Liberty (2 teams)

I may be wrong, but I think Liberty's A-team has a good chance of beating UVa's B or C teams. Liberty has NEVER beaten UVa in Quiz Bowl, but this may be the year. Our two teams are starting 7 National Merit Finalists and a national debate champion.

FYI--we're playing in Pamplin Hall, where the Virginia Tech shooting took place.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=13506
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Here are the latest scores from CJ over in Blacksburg ...
  • 4 Quiz Bowl WINS at the Virginia Tech Novice Tournment:
    Liberty 335, Liberty-B 85
    Liberty 365, UVA 205
    Liberty 320, VA Tech 145
    Liberty 285, VA Tech 145
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
5 WINS at the University of Maryland tournament (October 14):
Liberty novice 350, Maryland 25
Liberty novice 190, George Washington 75
Liberty varsity 185, Delaware 95
Liberty varsity 290, Virginia Commonwealth 90
Liberty varsity 195, Maryland 175
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:5 WINS at the University of Maryland tournament (October 14):
Liberty novice 350, Maryland 25
Liberty novice 190, George Washington 75
Liberty varsity 185, Delaware 95
Liberty varsity 290, Virginia Commonwealth 90
Liberty varsity 195, Maryland 175
That's great but how were the crabcakes?
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]