Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Here are some early results today passed along from Cider Jim:
  • Liberty - 275
    UNCA - 35

Liberty - 310
    Winthrop - 70
Those are lousy golf scores!
What is up with our D? We seem to be getting progressively worse. Plus our offense seems to be getting stagnant.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:What is up with our D? We seem to be getting progressively worse. Plus our offense seems to be getting stagnant.
It's Barber's fault! :D
With the resources we put in them we need to be competing at the BBCS level. I don't see how you kool aid drinkers are happy with this type of mediocrity then you have lost sight of the Chancellor's vision of Quiz Bowling Notre Dame on New Years Day for the Kellogs Cereal Bowl Quiz Championship!
You may be happy giving up 100 pts but I'm not :nono
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:With the resources we put in them we need to be competing at the BBCS level. I don't see how you kool aid drinkers are happy with this type of mediocrity then you have lost sight of the Chancellor's vision of Quiz Bowling Notre Dame on New Years Day for the Kellogs Cereal Bowl Quiz Championship!
You may be happy giving up 100 pts but I'm not :nono
Fire the coach! :flamingdevil
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The LU Quiz Bowl team is heading to Virginia Tech next weekend to compete in the Regional tournament. Expect LU to knock off some major IA schools on next Saturday.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Well with th resources we put in to the new Quiz Bowl Complex with Indoor/Oudoor practice facility we would expect nothing less.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Having trouble rationalizing these 2 quotes... maybe someone from WU could explain it to me since I'm clearly to dumb to figure it out.
  • Liberty - 310
    Winthrop - 70
realist wrote:Liberty has a pretty terrible reputation, as in, no one takes them seriously as a school. Just saying that it will alleviate the conversation when someone asks what conference you are in, and asks about schools----usually the one people kind of look at you funny is when you mention Liberty. To me, it adds credibility to the conference to get rid of them if possible.
PAmedic wrote:Having trouble rationalizing these 2 quotes... maybe someone from WU could explain it to me since I'm clearly to dumb to figure it out.
  • Liberty - 310
    Winthrop - 70
realist wrote:Liberty has a pretty terrible reputation, as in, no one takes them seriously as a school. Just saying that it will alleviate the conversation when someone asks what conference you are in, and asks about schools----usually the one people kind of look at you funny is when you mention Liberty. To me, it adds credibility to the conference to get rid of them if possible.
I blame JB
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Terrible reputation? Do you mean in academics? The other Big South Quiz Bowl teams wouldn't agree. They were even asking how soon LU will move up to IA so that we can't compete--and WIN--the Big South Quiz Bowl competition every year; well, 6 out of the past 7 years, with the last two years going undefeated in conference.

And the Winthrop coaches, players, staff, and students couldn't have been nicer to us at the tournament this weekend: we supplied them with their lead statistician, the best moderator, and brought the best team to the tournament.

BIG SOUTH CHAMPIONS!
we supplied them with their lead statistician

I think this explains a lot of the success. Maybe you should change your name to CIDER BILLICHECK!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Interesting story about the tournament...

On Wednesday, I drove to the Army-Navy surplus store in Madison Heights and bought my varsity captain some captain's bars to wear on his red LU polo. Well, at lunch Saturday, one of the VMI Keydets pulled my captain aside and warned him that "impersonating an officer is a federal offense" and that he better take off those captain's bar right now, since he was a civilian. :shock:

A little help from my military Flame Fans, was the VMI guy legit or was he fooling with us?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
In letter yes. In spirit, no. Think of it like jay walking.

Of course glad to see our Quiz Bowl team is keeping felons on the team. Next they will all be on 'weight loss' programs.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Cider, he's wrong. the applicable federal statute, which incidently may still be overturned as unconstitutional, was intended to apply to medals/decoration.

your guy was wearing an insignia supplied by and endorsed by the organization he was representing. nothing illegal about it. it's like boy scout leaders or other paramilitary organizations who deliniate rank this way.

a doosh manuever by the vmi dude. This coming from someone who supports them and their mission.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Cider, what time and place will you be at Tech on Saturday. And are spectators welcome? Is chest painting allowed?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ri, the regional Quiz Bowl competition begins at 8:30 Saturday morning at Squires Student Center, 290 College Avenue, on the Tech campus and should continue into the late afternoon, with a break for lunch. Visitors are cetainly welcome!

LU be playing against the big boys:
Vanderbilt
UNC
Virginia Tech
College of Chareston
Davidson
Radford
High Point (which skipped the Big South tournament)

And some little boys:
Roanoke
North Greenville

Flame Convert and Figure have threatened to tailgate at one of our tournaments. :wink:
Cider Jim wrote:Flame Convert and Figure have threatened to tailgate at one of our tournaments. :wink:
This would've been the perfect one to tailgate for, but . . . then again . . . who would substitute for the Grillmeister!?!?!?

Was seriously thinking about trecking over to VT, but I think Convert's moving that day.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The Quiz Bowl team is getting some love from Kyle Kallander, the LU spash page, and The Champion student newspaper (print edition):

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/ViewArtic ... =205371147

http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=46946

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]