Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
So I saw this comment on the Hockey thread on Liberty's CSNBBS Forum and thought it would be interesting to bring it here to ASOR. We haven't talked about hockey in some time so why not have a little chat. The comment is from the username NoDak, a user who chats on the boards from time to time(some of you guys may know the person). Well here is some of his thoughts:
Another town in Tennessee is building a hockey arena and it just so happens to be Clarksville, where Austin Peay is located northwest of Nashville. The Nashville Predators will operate the rink.

https://arenadigest.com/2019/11/13/clark...-approved/

So a new private rink in High Point, a new Blues practice rink with sufficient seating capacity in St Louis for Lindenwood, the FGCU admin would like a team and it has a minor league rink nearby that it plays basketball in, Huntsville is building a new on campus arena although they resigned after next year from the WCHA.

All signs pointing to a Southern hockey league of:

Liberty,
High Point,
Austin Peay,
Lindenwood,
Huntsville
FGCU

Will start in two or three years, but Liberty fans remain ignorant that anything is happening. High Point isn’t building a DI rink to be independent.

What do you guys think? I can see why Liberty wouldn't do this, but then there could be some opportunities as well. Play Hockey
D1 aspirations have long been a pipe dream that those close to the program say isn't likely to happen. Things do change but I don't see this as something that would happen anytime soon. This is just my opinion and not based on any recent discussions.
Is it possible for supporters and alumni to establish a fund that will support the hockey teams (and other club teams that can go the NCAA route) that would not cause any violations to NCAA rules if that makes sense?
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 11:58 am Is it possible for supporters and alumni to establish a fund that will support the hockey teams (and other club teams that can go the NCAA route) that would not cause any violations to NCAA rules if that makes sense?
That didn’t really work out too well for wrestling
PAmedic liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 15th, 2020, 2:04 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 11:58 am Is it possible for supporters and alumni to establish a fund that will support the hockey teams (and other club teams that can go the NCAA route) that would not cause any violations to NCAA rules if that makes sense?
beat me to it... it all set to be funded willingly by supporters and alum- but still got axed

lots of butts hurt over that one.
Not saying your're wrong, but the support/fan base is a bit different especially nowadays though(don't you think so?). Nonetheless, this was just a thought and y'all perspective is appreciated.
PAmedic wrote: January 15th, 2020, 6:11 pm
beat me to it... it all set to be funded willingly by supporters and alum- but still got axed

lots of butts hurt over that one.
Another Title IX issue.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 10:28 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 15th, 2020, 10:22 am My understanding has always been it’s a Title IX nightmare.
That's what I heard as well. Maybe this conference can form with men and women teams?
I think it's possible, but in order to form a new women's program and remain compliant with Title IX, if I remember right, there must be some type of survey demonstrating interest. If I remember right, when wrestling was brought back, we had to justify why we weren't adding equestrian which was one of the popular responses to a survey (and probably why we still don't have a women's golf team).
ATrain wrote: January 15th, 2020, 7:39 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 15th, 2020, 10:22 am My understanding has always been it’s a Title IX nightmare.
That's what I heard as well. Maybe this conference can form with men and women teams?
I think it's possible, but in order to form a new women's program and remain compliant with Title IX, if I remember right, there must be some type of survey demonstrating interest. If I remember right, when wrestling was brought back, we had to justify why we weren't adding equestrian which was one of the popular responses to a survey (and probably why we still don't have a women's golf team).
we have several women hockey teams already (D1, D2 and I think D3)
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Not saying your're wrong, but the support/fan base is a bit different especially nowadays though(don't you think so?). Nonetheless, this was just a thought and y'all perspective is appreciated.
Pockets are much deeper for wrestling than hockey. Trust me when I tell you, that’s a tar baby you don’t wanna punch
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 8:00 pm
ATrain wrote: January 15th, 2020, 7:39 pm

we have several women hockey teams already (D1, D2 and I think D3)
Yes but none of them are NCAA, which is what we are discussing. If we want an NCAA D-I men's team, we'll need an NCAA D-I women's team for Title IX scholarship purposes, and there are very specific requirements for starting up a new women's sport and maintaining Title IX compliance (again, if my memory serve me right).
While it would be awesome to have NCAA hockey, for now the club level is fine. We play a ton of really good club teams and moving to the NCAA would put us at the bottom of the totem poll. I think finding a conference would prove difficult and the money from investors would have to be there. Most of these schools will most likely support their teams at the club level. NCAA D1 travel is tough and I don't see it making much sense for Liberty who is dominating at the ACHA level.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 15th, 2020, 8:08 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Pockets are much deeper for wrestling than hockey. Trust me when I tell you, that’s a tar baby you don’t wanna punch
With wrestling we did not have the option of starting a women's team to balance the Title IX numbers.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]