Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Talent
Time
Buy in
We had this discussion before. The program is taking a change of direction in philosophy from coaches. That’s going to take time to get the right players with the right talent into the program. And it’s going to take the players currently in the program to buy in to that philosophy. You pointed it out yourself with women’s soccer and the turn around they’ve had in just a season. It might take more than a year with Men’s Soccer but it’s a process that can’t be judged after one season
By PING
Posts Posts
Agreed, every team needs, time, talent, buy in.
I was thinking more along the lines of specific player needs. Who is graduating? What holes are to be filled? Or is it so bad they need replacements at every position?

Ex. Women's side, Farrell leading goal scorer (10 of 25 goals) graduating. Must recruit a stud goal scorer to fill the gap quickly or team will suffer. Freshman has to make an impact right away.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Finally starting your best goalkeeper paid immediate dividends the other night...
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Liberty Men's Soccer posted their schedule the other day. Three very nice out of conference home games on the schedule. I know our house is buzzing for one of those matches.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
That is signing top talent. Welcome Mr. Munoz! It's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jonys and the Joes.

I'm not sure why it is on the baseball page of the athletic site and not the soccer page.
By Jonathan Carone
I don't want to be the cynical one here, but we're sure he's enrolling, right?

Summer bridge has already started and he's not on campus. Plus the write up said he'd signed his NLI but that's it.

Could this be a baseball-like situation where a kid signs to come but ends up playing professionally? Or am I just gun shy about top recruits?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 19th, 2020, 3:07 pm I don't want to be the cynical one here, but we're sure he's enrolling, right?

Summer bridge has already started and he's not on campus. Plus the write up said he'd signed his NLI but that's it.

Could this be a baseball-like situation where a kid signs to come but ends up playing professionally? Or am I just gun shy about top recruits?
I don't think any of the soccer players are in town yet.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: June 19th, 2020, 4:01 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 19th, 2020, 3:07 pm I don't want to be the cynical one here, but we're sure he's enrolling, right?

I don't think any of the soccer players are in town yet.
Only women's and men's basketball and football are on campus - basketball came in this week. Each week the other sports will filter in.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
I'm sure he is a fine player who will make an impact at Liberty. But I would temper your expectations a bit. High School player of the year in soccer is not quite the same as high school player of the year in baseball/football/basketball etc. Remember, the top high school players are often not playing high school soccer. It's still a great achievement.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure where you detect "bitterness" anywhere in my post. I said it was a, "great achievement", and he is "sure to be a fine player who will make an impact at Liberty". I also tried to temper expectations with facts. The facts are that winning this award is not the same stamp of "sure success" as it is in say... basketball. Below is a list of who has won it over the last several years in basketball. It is a legit list of the top player that year in high school. Soccer has not been under the same structure for the past several years and that is why the player who is rated #135 (or right around there) in his class was able to win the award. There are for sure some very good players on the list the last several years (Jack Harrison being at the top) but most either fizzled out like Lucas Mendes or became serviceable MLS league types like Danladi and Boateng. Not quite the same impact as the players on the basketball list below. No bitterness here at all Purple... just facts.

R.J. BARRETT
2017 - 2018
MICHAEL PORTER JR.
2016 - 2017
JAYSON TATUM
2015 - 2016
BEN SIMMONS
2014 - 2015
KARL-ANTHONY TOWNS
2013 - 2014
ANDREW WIGGINS
2012 - 2013
JABARI PARKER
2011 - 2012
BRADLEY BEAL
2010 - 2011
BRANDON KNIGHT
2009 - 2010
BRANDON KNIGHT
2008 - 2009
JRUE HOLIDAY
2007 - 2008
KEVIN LOVE
2006 - 2007
GREG ODEN
2005 - 2006
GREG ODEN
2004 - 2005
DWIGHT HOWARD II
2003 - 2004
LEBRON JAMES
2002 - 2003
LEBRON JAMES
2001 - 2002
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I guess some people just can’t be happy
Purple - I don't know where you are trying to go with this. But I am confident I have my finger on the pulse of soccer in this country better than most. If there is something within my post(s) on the subject that is non-factual by all means point that out and present your case. If your sole purpose is to make snide comments and continue to make judgements based on someone you do not know... well then I'm out.
flameshaw liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m just saying this is a big deal. Something to be extremely happy and grateful for. No one is expecting this kid to be Messi but you immediately pivot to throwing a wet blanket on the situation. You can have your finger anywhere you want to put it but it doesn’t change the fact that A- this is a great signing by every objective measure and B- your first response was to downplay it
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
"Sure to make an impact"... "great achievement" ... "calm the horses on comparing him to Ben Simmons, Jayson Tatum, and LeBron James" is what I said. Because, yes... most average folks will assume you got the equivalent to a superstar when they put "Gatorade high school players of the year" next to his name. Because in other sports, you may very well be getting the next Messi (or Messi like). Again, is there something unfactual about what I said? Is this a good get for Findley??? Absolutely. Will he be a big plus for the program? All signs point to yes. Not sure if Liberty has had a player commit close to the Top 100 in his class in recent years (I honestly don't know that answer).
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]