Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
SUMITUP. You mentioned that you would likely go to the tournament if LU made it through the regionals. If you go, you need to stream the action via FB Live for us...at least until you get thrown out.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
The gap between top 10 teams and top 25 teams is enormous. The Flames need to bring it to have a strong finish. Regardless of the results, this program is going places and is probably the best team on the mountain at this point.
By LUDad
adam42381 wrote:The gap between top 10 teams and top 25 teams is enormous. The Flames need to bring it to have a strong finish. Regardless of the results, this program is going places and is probably the best team on the mountain at this point.
Very true. But a team can get hot. For instance, last Spring LU finished #3 in the Sea Best tournment at -1. Duke on the other hand finished #10 at +40, LU beat Duke by 41 strokes. However, Duke got hot and went to the National Championship a few months later and finished stroke play in 2nd place, and entered the 8 team field as the #2 seed in match play.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:SUMITUP. You mentioned that you would likely go to the tournament if LU made it through the regionals. If you go, you need to stream the action via FB Live for us...at least until you get thrown out.
I'll be there. I have family and friends that live in the Blessings golf course neighborhood. LU visited this course a few years ago for a regional, so coach Thomas has familiarity. It's an extremely difficult course and ranks among the most challenging in the US.

I generally have an aversion to getting thrown out of anything and I spend very little time on any social media platforms. FB live is unlikely, but I'll see if I can't figure something out.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:The gap between top 10 teams and top 25 teams is enormous. The Flames need to bring it to have a strong finish. Regardless of the results, this program is going places and is probably the best team on the mountain at this point.
This seems to be the case in most sports not men's basketball/football. You have your strong programs, normally about 10-15 programs deep, and then a large gap followed by some decent programs. Our golf program certainly seems to be heading in the right direction and it'll be interesting to see if they can find a way to get hot and hang around a bit. Regardless, making it to nationals is a tremendous accomplishment.
By LUDad
SumItUp wrote:
LUDad wrote:SUMITUP. You mentioned that you would likely go to the tournament if LU made it through the regionals. If you go, you need to stream the action via FB Live for us...at least until you get thrown out.
I'll be there. I have family and friends that live in the Blessings golf course neighborhood. LU visited this course a few years ago for a regional, so coach Thomas has familiarity. It's an extremely difficult course and ranks among the most challenging in the US.

I generally have an aversion to getting thrown out of anything and I spend very little time on any social media platforms. FB live is unlikely, but I'll see if I can't figure something out.
Good for you! I'm green with envy. Good to hear that the course is tough. I believe this team will fair better on a track where par king. Don't know that they would be able to compete as well against such a strong field where a lot of them are built to go really low. Naturally, I was kidding about the FB thing. As long as LU plays a competitive first round, their 2nd & 3rd rounds have the potential to place them in the top 15 so as to avoid the cut after the 3rd day.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
How many teams?

(I'm asking for a friend that we call Ballcoach). :oldhag
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
30 teams

After 3 days (Friday - Sunday) of stroke play, it will be cut to the top 15 teams. Stroke play continues on Monday and the top 8 teams will advance to match play. Team quarterfinals and semifinals are on Tuesday. Championship match is on Wednesday. There is also an individual tournament for the top 9 players that do not make the cut on Sunday.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
The golf team is in Northwest Arkansas. I had an opportunity to see Coach Jeff Thomas and the team yesterday. It's great to see a Liberty team competing in an NCAA national championship. Yesterday, they had an opportunity to practice at a local course. This morning they have a practice round at The Blessings, which is the championship course. Stroke play begins tomorrow. They will tee off in the morning on Friday (starting at 7:40CST) and the afternoon on Saturday. Sunday's tee times will be based on scores and the team with the best score will have the last tee time.

The Womens championship finished last night and Duke beat Wake Forest to win it all.
By LUDad
SumItUp wrote:The golf team is in Northwest Arkansas. I had an opportunity to see Coach Jeff Thomas and the team yesterday. It's great to see a Liberty team competing in an NCAA national championship. Yesterday, they had an opportunity to practice at a local course. This morning they have a practice round at The Blessings, which is the championship course. Stroke play begins tomorrow. They will tee off in the morning on Friday (starting at 7:40CST) and the afternoon on Saturday. Sunday's tee times will be based on scores and the team with the best score will have the last tee time.

The Womens championship finished last night and Duke beat Wake Forest to win it all.
Thanks for the update! Look forward to hearing a lot from you over the duration of the tournament. I walked the course on the last day of the regionals last year. A great group of guys, including coaches & administrators.
By LUDad
LU is having an excellent 1st day. No one that started at the same time or earlier is ahead of LU. Course is the only winner at this time. The more you play the higher the score.

Edit: LU is in 3rd place this far out of the 15 teams who started this morning.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
That course wore me out today (not enough sleep after watching the baseball game) and I was just watching them play. Our guys finished T-4th with South Carolina out of the 15 teams from the morning group. I'm not sure the exact time, but it was about a 6-hour round. We definitely left some shots out there today, which is promising. The team played loose and composed. The afternoon groups are strong, but we are positioned well.
By LUDad
SumItUp wrote:That course wore me out today (not enough sleep after watching the baseball game) and I was just watching them play. Our guys finished T-4th with South Carolina out of the 15 teams from the morning group. I'm not sure the exact time, but it was about a 6-hour round. We definitely left some shots out there today, which is promising. The team played loose and composed. The afternoon groups are strong, but we are positioned well.
LU's first round is typically their worst round. I was not expecting this showing today.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
BYU played their 3rd round of stroke play yesterday instead of playing on Sunday. They were +15 after 12 and I heard they were +22, but it’s not posted publicly.
By LUDad
After first day Liberty is leading or is tied with the following nationally ranked teams (LU ranked #22). Not to shabby for a historically slow starting team.

#4 Vanderbilt
#6 Oklahoma
#7 Georgia Tech
#8 Duke
#15 South Carolina
#16 LSU
#18 North Flordia
#20 Pepperdine
#21 Louisville
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Still 3 hours away from taking the course today and we have already moved up from T14 to T13. The way the course is playing, we very well may be top 10 before we get started. Staying there will be easier said than done. If I recall correctly, 20 teams advance to day 3. Our chances are looking pretty good right now if we play to form and improve day 2 over day 1.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
All 30 teams advance to day 3 (Sunday)

15 teams advance to day 4 (Monday) stroke play

8 teams advance to day 5 (Tuesday) Bracket Match Play
By LUDad
Just looking at scores this far today it looks like the course is playing easier today. Don't know if its pin placement, lack of wind or what.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Yesterday's rounds were very long. Most of the afternoon groups were over 6 hours. There were some issues affecting the pace of play on the course. With a full course of players competing for a championship on a new course, it's normal to spend a little more time grinding over a shot or getting an extra read before putting, but there are also 2 places where the course criss-crosses. With the setup of the course and the players length off the tee, it created a few backup situations. To my knowledge, there were not any penalties assessed for taking too long yesterday, but was most definitely a discussion last night about how to increase pace of play. One way to do that is tee box/pin placement.

Oklahoma State has been the best team all year. Today, they are showing why. They are -9 under for the day as they make the turn. It would have been nice to keep Zach Bauchou at home. The LCA grad is one of the regular four contributors on the OSU Cowboys team.
By LUDad
SumItUp wrote:Yesterday's rounds were very long. Most of the afternoon groups were over 6 hours. There were some issues affecting the pace of play on the course. With a full course of players competing for a championship on a new course, it's normal to spend a little more time grinding over a shot or getting an extra read before putting, but there are also 2 places where the course criss-crosses. With the setup of the course and the players length off the tee, it created a few backup situations. To my knowledge, there were not any penalties assessed for taking too long yesterday, but was most definitely a discussion last night about how to increase pace of play. One way to do that is tee box/pin placement.

Oklahoma State has been the best team all year. Today, they are showing why. They are -9 under for the day as they make the turn. It would have been nice to keep Zach Bauchou at home. The LCA grad is one of the regular four contributors on the OSU Cowboys team.
I image that McCaw is in Flordia if he's traveling but I sure he wouldn't mind following LU around, especially since they have Baylor in their grouping.⛳
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
#1 Oklahoma State shot -12 today for an overall score of -10 through 2 rounds. To put that in perspective, they are dominating the top 10 ranked teams in the country. After two rounds, they lead #2 ranked Arizona State by 32 strokes, #3 ranked Wake Forest by 19 strokes, #4 ranked Vanderbilt by 29 strokes and #5 Texas by 22 strokes, #6 ranked Oklahoma by 26 strokes, #7 ranked Georgia Tech by 34 strokes, #8 Duke (2 holes to play) by 51 strokes, #9 ranked Southern California by 39 strokes and #10 ranked Stanford by 11 strokes.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:#1 Oklahoma State shot -12 today for an overall score of -10 through 2 rounds. To put that in perspective, they are dominating the top 10 ranked teams in the country. After two rounds, they lead #2 ranked Arizona State by 32 strokes, #3 ranked Wake Forest by 19 strokes, #4 ranked Vanderbilt by 29 strokes and #5 Texas by 22 strokes, #6 ranked Oklahoma by 26 strokes, #7 ranked Georgia Tech by 34 strokes, #8 Duke (2 holes to play) by 51 strokes, #9 ranked Southern California by 39 strokes and #10 ranked Stanford by 11 strokes.

EDIT - Duke has finished their round and is 52 strokes behind OSU.
By LUDad
SumItUp wrote:
SumItUp wrote:#1 Oklahoma State shot -12 today for an overall score of -10 through 2 rounds. To put that in perspective, they are dominating the top 10 ranked teams in the country. After two rounds, they lead #2 ranked Arizona State by 32 strokes, #3 ranked Wake Forest by 19 strokes, #4 ranked Vanderbilt by 29 strokes and #5 Texas by 22 strokes, #6 ranked Oklahoma by 26 strokes, #7 ranked Georgia Tech by 34 strokes, #8 Duke (2 holes to play) by 51 strokes, #9 ranked Southern California by 39 strokes and #10 ranked Stanford by 11 strokes.

EDIT - Duke has finished their round and is 52 strokes behind OSU.
That's where the match play at the end that makes this tournament so magical.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
SumItUp wrote:Yesterday's rounds were very long. Most of the afternoon groups were over 6 hours. There were some issues affecting the pace of play on the course. With a full course of players competing for a championship on a new course, it's normal to spend a little more time grinding over a shot or getting an extra read before putting, but there are also 2 places where the course criss-crosses. With the setup of the course and the players length off the tee, it created a few backup situations. To my knowledge, there were not any penalties assessed for taking too long yesterday, but was most definitely a discussion last night about how to increase pace of play. One way to do that is tee box/pin placement.

I image that McCaw is in Flordia if he's traveling but I sure he wouldn't mind following LU around, especially since they have Baylor in their grouping.⛳
Ian is at the baseball tournament with Mickey Guridy.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]