Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
Our girls just lost to Coastal in the first round, 3 games to 1. We never looked in sync, except the third game. I watched a little of it on the 'net while doing some homework.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
we never had any intensity on the floor to start out the game. I am very disappointed in our team's lack of intensity and their overall play. :evil: :evil:
Last edited by thesportscritic on November 14th, 2006, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Heartbreaking...thats all it is...just heartbreaking...
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Sixth-Seeded Chanticleers Upend Third-Seeded Lady Flames In First Round of Big South Volleyball Championship
November 14, 2006
Lynchburg, Va.
» Box Score

Sixth-seeded Coastal Carolina took the first two games and withstood a late effort from third-seeded Liberty, but it wasn’t enough as the Chanticleers picked up a 3-1 upset victory over Liberty (30-21, 30-25, 24-30 and 30-25), Tuesday evening, at the Vines Center in the first round of the Big South Volleyball Championship.
With the victory, Coastal Carolina improves to 10-22 on the season and advances to a semifinal match-up with second-seeded UNC Asheville who downed seventh-seeded Radford, 3-0, earlier in the evening.

The semifinal and championship rounds will be played at High Point on Friday and Saturday with the Chanticleers squaring off against the Bulldogs at 7:30 p.m. on Friday. The loss ends Liberty’s season as the Lady Flames finish the year with an 11-18 mark.

In the opening game, neither team gained much of an advantage as the match was tied 6-6 early on, but Coastal Carolina took advantage of three-straight Liberty hitting errors to open up a slight margin.

Block assists by Ashley Scheible and Nakia Thompson on an Alysson Sanders attack, followed by a Thompson kill gave the Chanticleers an eight-point lead, 20-12, which they never relinquish as they hit .378 as a squad to claim the 30-21 opening game win.

Coastal Carolina continued to carry the momentum into the second game as the Chanticleers scored six of the game’s first seven points, opening up a 6-1 lead on a kill by Kristin Rinne. Liberty slowly closed the gap over the next several plays and tied the game at 19-19 on a hitting error by Meagan Tracey.

The game remained close until Coastal Carolina closed by claiming six of the final eight points to take a two-game lead into the intermission after the 30-25 game win.
However, the break seemed to benefit the homestanding Lady Flames as Liberty came out strong in the third as a kill by Kendall Nichols gave the squad a 7-4 lead.

Coastal Carolina shortly thereafter tied the game on a service ace by Rinne, but Liberty scored seven of the next nine points, capped by an Ashley Webber kill to take a lead and ride it to a 30-24 third-game victory. Liberty finished the game hitting .304 as a team, its best game of the evening.

The fourth and final game was as close as it could be as neither team held more than a two-point edge until Coastal Carolina reeled off five-straight points to open up a 25-19 lead. Liberty got within three, 26-23, after block assists by first-team all-conference honoree Autum Black and Nichols, but a pair of kills by Thompson aided in the Chanticleers closing out the upset with the 30-25 win.

Thompson led the Chanticleers on the night as she recorded 18 kills and 15 digs along with a .428 attack percentage. Big South All-Freshman selection Jill Nyhof led the squad with 21 kills and added 10 digs and Laura Obert chipped in with 10 kills. Brett Starbuck tied Thompson for the team lead with 15 digs and Tracey led the team with 49 assists.

Liberty was led by Black as the senior closed out her playing days at Liberty with 18 kills, five block assists and a .484 hitting percentage. Nichols finished the year with a double-double as she had 10 kills and 10 digs and Big South Freshman of the Year Kallie Corbin finished with a match-high 51 assists, eight digs and four block assists.

Coach’s Postgame Quotes
Kristen Bauer, Coastal Carolina head volleyball coach
We knew we would have to climb a ladder tonight as you normally do against a host team. They beat us twice this year and even when we we were up two, we knew we didn't have it won as they had just come from two down against Radford over the weekend. Our seniors played great tonight as Nakia Thompson played well offensively and Brett Starbuck did a great job defensively. We won some key points at the net and our block effort was especially sharp tonight.

Shane Pinder, Liberty head volleyball coach
All the credit has to go to Kristen [Bauer] and what she has done with the Coastal Carolina volleyball program. They did a great job and we wish them the best of the luck as they move on in this year's tournament.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
well......what do the pinder lovers say now??? no excuse for a loss like this.
By nickrichard
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:well......what do the pinder lovers say now??? no excuse for a loss like this.
I guess it is the same excuse RD used when twice we were the #2 seed and lost AT HOME to #6 Radford (03) and #7 CSU (05). See - RD does find a way into every thread somehow :lol:
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:well......what do the pinder lovers say now??? no excuse for a loss like this.
definitely. this is unacceptable!!!!!!!! :evil: :x
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
You guys are ridiculous. Next thing you know it will be this:

By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
NR you brought RD into this....lets keep it to volleyball.
By nickrichard
Registration Days Posts
Sorry smoothie - feels like a fairly good comparison. Twice as the #2 seed losing to much lower ranked teams at home. Little closer than the Haterade/Terrorist comparisons on other threads?
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
no need to apologize, in fact i agree with the comparison, but let's keep volleyball here and hoops in that forum.
By hurricane fan
Registration Days Posts
I say they over-achieved all year long. Let me guess, the Pinder "Haters" will want CP back. Many of you show your sports IQ (or lack there of) with some of your comments.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I said this in the other forum but I'll just restate a few key facts...count up the games where a setter out hit our attackers, theres no excuse for that...that setter that I'm talking about is in that first recruiting class...what they did this year really is crazy when you look at who they lost due to injury...\wait until Ken & Jess come back next year full strength not to mention nik

name the last LU player other then nik to be on the top 200 list...

i feel like stat boy on PTI....Please step away from the volleyball websites HMO
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
As a reporter who has been following this team for the past two years, I say Pinder does deserve one more year...he plans on moving this program forward, and next year if we don't get above .500 then fire him...and I can understand being shut-out by programs such as Washington, Ohio, and the like...but there is no excuse being shut-out by Davidson and especially CSU.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:As a reporter who has been following this team for the past two years, I say Pinder does deserve one more year...he plans on moving this program forward, and next year if we don't get above .500 then fire him...and I can understand being shut-out by programs such as Washington, Ohio, and the like...but there is no excuse being shut-out by Davidson and especially CSU.
What he said!!!
Last edited by thesportscritic on November 16th, 2006, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By hurricane fan
Registration Days Posts
maybe next year he will use his 'SPECIAL POWERS" and make sure none of his players get hurt. some things you just can't control people. by the way, he never makes up any excuses for losing. he also doesn't go around patting himself on the back.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
As a reporter!!!! OMG you better be careful...I had no idea...try saying something bad about the Yanks on the YES Network and see how far that'll get you...boy thats risky

But I'm glad your willing to give him one more year...I mean I think every coach should be allowed to see his first recruiting class become at least Sophomores but not any older than that...I mean if they finish 3rd there's no excuse next year by that time he'll be responsible for the Freshman and Sophomores and if he cant win with them then he'll never win :roll:

I wont even touch on what HF said simply b/c if you can find something in there to argue with then I'm just simply waste'n my breath

It scares me you work for the SCHOOL NEWSPAPER....this is why I encourage EVERYONE to not just watch CNN or Fox News but do you own research...it's amazing what you'll find out when you're not listening to people with their own agenda

EDIT: I didnt even see the part where you said he makes excuses or pat's himself on the back...now i know you didnt follow the them to closely b/c you've never talked to him then....it is the school newspaper not some neutral media, right?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yeah by all means don't say anything NEGATIVE if you work for the school newspaper. I mean every other school newspaper is ALWAYS 100% supportive of their athletic teams.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:As a reporter!!!! OMG you better be careful...I had no idea...try saying something bad about the Yanks on the YES Network and see how far that'll get you...boy thats risky

But I'm glad your willing to give him one more year...I mean I think every coach should be allowed to see his first recruiting class become at least Sophomores but not any older than that...I mean if they finish 3rd there's no excuse next year by that time he'll be responsible for the Freshman and Sophomores and if he cant win with them then he'll never win :roll:

I wont even touch on what HF said simply b/c if you can find something in there to argue with then I'm just simply waste'n my breath

It scares me you work for the SCHOOL NEWSPAPER....this is why I encourage EVERYONE to not just watch CNN or Fox News but do you own research...it's amazing what you'll find out when you're not listening to people with their own agenda

EDIT: I didnt even see the part where you said he makes excuses or pat's himself on the back...now i know you didnt follow the them to closely b/c you've never talked to him then....it is the school newspaper not some neutral media, right?
I'm a little lost... who said that he makes up excuses and pats himself on the back? I can't find it... did someone edit it out?

I didn't read the Champion this week... was there something questionable in there?
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Yeah by all means don't say anything NEGATIVE if you work for the school newspaper. I mean every other school newspaper is ALWAYS 100% supportive of their athletic teams.
You say enough for everyone
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
first of all im not a pinder hater, but the record really speaks for itself. im certainly not calling of rhis head, but hurricane fan you are obviously a pinder supporter and you have that right, as do the people who do not like him, but to question their sports IQ is ridiculous. in fairness to coach pinder this is only his third season and is 32-59 overall and 21-21 in the big south. in CP's 1st tenure after three seasons she was 41-66 overall and 12-18 in the big south, and her 2nd tenure she was 56-41 overall, 31-11 in the big south with two big south championships. i think you have to compare pinder's three seasons to CP's first three. he should have the oppty to coach next year at the least. the overall records are misleading as both coaches start the season with tough west coast opponents, so the big south record i feel is what we need to be looking at. you also have to look at funding for volleyball, which i believe when CP was here was less funded as well as the other big south schools. i still feel like despite thee injuries we should have beaten coastal tuesday night, but it is what it is, and we must move on and build for next year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Yeah by all means don't say anything NEGATIVE if you work for the school newspaper. I mean every other school newspaper is ALWAYS 100% supportive of their athletic teams.
You say enough for everyone
PAMedic: Posts: 4250
HAIZE: Posts 391

Looks like I have a ways to go for that title! :D
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
don't drag me under the wheels of that bus with you :D
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Yes, but I'm also a senior reporter...meaning it'll be someone else doing VBall coverage next year.
Secondly...the school censors our stories (none of mine have had anything thats had to be cut out for "being an embarassment to the institution"-i.e. a parking story that we ran last yaer), but we still have our opinions and we do air them out freely, I'm just the only one who is on FlameFans right now.

Finally, I still say give Pinder one more year...the program did improve from last year and did move forward in the conference when we were young with injuries and other teams had down years, which is saying the very least of what he's done, there were other positive notes to the year as well.
By hurricane fan
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Yes, but I'm also a senior reporter...meaning it'll be someone else doing VBall coverage next year.
Secondly...the school censors our stories (none of mine have had anything thats had to be cut out for "being an embarassment to the institution"-i.e. a parking story that we ran last yaer), but we still have our opinions and we do air them out freely, I'm just the only one who is on FlameFans right now.

Finally, I still say give Pinder one more year...the program did improve from last year and did move forward in the conference when we were young with injuries and other teams had down years, which is saying the very least of what he's done, there were other positive notes to the year as well.
That's the only point I am trying to make
Election 2022 and 2024

https://x.com/thevivafrei/status/18013478469746[…]

2025 Recruiting Discussion

It's good to see us bringing in some quality recru[…]

2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]