Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
What is the story with the Alder resignation? Was it forced? Or is this a legit, "I need to step away"? Any word on replacement? Or if Jose or AJ will stay on (or in the running)?
By Jonathan Carone
I have no inside knowledge on anything but I think it's a great move all around. Alder is a guy who loves our school and represents us so well but unfortunately hasn't had the results he would've liked to have had. Being able to keep him around while breathing new life into soccer is an amazing result of a hard situation.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. Moves like this makes me believe we might see this happen to Green (Moving him into another role in the athletics department) next year and Gill the following year. Ian wants to bring in his guys that can produce results.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I can see Green making a move like that at some point but I highly doubt Gill will agree to a move like that.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Oh thanks for that insight @thesportscritic...
By Jonathan Carone
I don’t know what role Gill or Carey could actually fill.

Jeff is known by multiple generations of Liberty fans and no one had a single bad thing to say about him. He’s been active in Lynchburg while being a coach so he has credibility outside the bubble too. Being in a Flames Club role is perfect for him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Love me some Alderrama
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
I agree that the roll should fit Jeff... but if it is a roll that is in essence forced, not chosen, then that could certainly impact his effectiveness. I also agree that you would be hard pressed to find anyone with a bad thing to say about him. With that said, I am not surprised to see him still let go. Soccer is a very unique sport when it comes to recruiting. You can go on cruise control, and be average for a very long period of time in terms of results. But if you want to be elite, you really have to have the structure, support staff, and willingness to make it happen. There are so many more rocks to turnover and then the financial limitations on the boys side create more viable competition from lower division schools that offer more academically and often just make more sense geographically for a kid.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I told my wife he’d make me want to join Flames Club
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
One of the first names on the outside list should be Brad McCarty. I doubt he would ever make a move... as I am sure he has had multiple chances to move "up" the ladder. He has had unbelievable success working in the same circles.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kelly Findley
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Makes some sense Purple... I will ask around my ACC contacts and see what their impressions were. On paper he stands out. Pwrhaps you were quick with that name for good reason already.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
47/5-2 wrote:Makes some sense Purple... I will ask around my ACC contacts and see what their impressions were. On paper he stands out. Pwrhaps you were quick with that name for good reason already.
There are few people I have greater respect for
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Kelly Findley
Do you know the reason why he’s been inactive as a coach since 2016?
He hasn’t
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
My early returns on Findley are not glowing (nothing character wise... i take your word on that Purple). A name that has been suggested is UNC Asst Grant Porter. Very highly thought of in ACC circles.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
An interesting possibility brought up in another thread is recently retired legendary Brazilian midfielder Kaka. Devout and outspoken man of faith with a stellar reputation. Whether he has any interest in coaching, I have no idea.
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote:An interesting possibility brought up in another thread is recently retired legendary Brazilian midfielder Kaka. Devout and outspoken man of faith with a stellar reputation. Whether he has any interest in coaching, I have no idea.
+1
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Kaka is an interesting name. But it would most likely be much easier for him to transition into an academy or professional setting then a college one. Remember, these guys have zero experience in the recruiting process. The college game is completely foreign to someone like Kaka. My youngest has played for a couple of guys that are close to Kaka. I'll ask him to get their take... or even have them ask him directly what his post playing career plans are. He would certainly be a name. It would definitely create a buzz.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He would certainly be a killer recruiter and has been exposed to some of the best coaching into the world. Bring on the ginga!
By cruzan_flame13
47/5-2 wrote:Kaka is an interesting name. But it would most likely be much easier for him to transition into an academy or professional setting then a college one. Remember, these guys have zero experience in the recruiting process. The college game is completely foreign to someone like Kaka. My youngest has played for a couple of guys that are close to Kaka. I'll ask him to get their take... or even have them ask him directly what his post playing career plans are. He would certainly be a name. It would definitely create a buzz.
Please let us know what they , or even Kaka himself, think about the position.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
I've been pleasantly surprised at how many coaches (quality coaches outside who would be solid gets for Liberty) are rooting for Jose to get the job. My gut says Ian goes outside the current staff... but perhaps the best fit is already waiting in the wings.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Should have a hire by the weekend.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]