Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Point well taken.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
As bad as CP left the program in shambles and did not cooperate in the change-over, it is a phenomenal job.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Golly gee, I wonder why?
By LU Facility Crew
Registration Days Posts
CP leaving the program in shambles? Let us not forget that LUVB posted a record of 23-11 (13-1, BSC) in 2003 (Phillips' last year as coach). The team lost 2-3 to UNCA in the Big South Championship match. And that same coach was also recognized as the Big South Conference 'Coach of the Year' for the 2003 season. Let us also not forget her previous successes with the program since her arrival in 1992. This is not to say that there was some turmoil on the team that should have been dealt with; however, as long as I have been involved in athletics I have never seen a coach given "One Strike" like Coach Phillips was given - especially given the substantive content of the divisive issues. It is also important to remember that the 2004 team that followed had the core of the 2003 team back for their senior years. So I think that to imbue Coach Phillips as having left the program in "shambles" is wholly inappropriate.

As for her lack of cooperation in the transition, I think that if one truly knows the story behind the story then there would be forgiveness. The fact that Coach Phillips was "given" the next year as a full-time SWA has been characterized as LU's attempt at litigation mitigation (i.e., trying to avoid a Title VII cause of action). Sure, CP was not under contract and was considered an at-will employee thus could be terminated without reason. However, just because you have the right to do something does not mean you are right in doing it. This is especially so at a university where Christian principles and respect for personal rights and liberties are so publically espoused and - dare I say - "Championed".
By Baldspot
Registration Days Posts
If the "story behind the story" is so important then why not share the "story" so the rest of us can be enlightened and agree with you. If the "story" is not worth repeating then why jump into the innuendo about the people that let the coach go.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Please please please do not compare several years ago..there were only 2-3 fully funded Volleyball teams in the BS and LU happened to be one of them...thats a key fact that people either choose to over look or choose to forget but thats HUGE...people with the money win..bottom line...now everyone is on the same playing field except our team is one of the youngest
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Baldspot wrote:If the "story behind the story" is so important then why not share the "story" so the rest of us can be enlightened and agree with you. If the "story" is not worth repeating then why jump into the innuendo about the people that let the coach go.

theres no story this person still has some left over beverages from when that circle was at LU and then disbanded...let em be
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:Please please please do not compare several years ago..there were only 2-3 fully funded Volleyball teams in the BS and LU happened to be one of them...thats a key fact that people either choose to over look or choose to forget but thats HUGE...people with the money win..bottom line...now everyone is on the same playing field except our team is one of the youngest
Tell that to the Yankees and Red Sox (and Braves) They did pretty good this season.
As for the story There was a lot of "drama" that could/should have been dealt with. CP was a bear to work with at times but was successful and did her best with what she had. Getting rid of her WAS/IS a mistake, but that is the past
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Hold My Own wrote:Please please please do not compare several years ago..there were only 2-3 fully funded Volleyball teams in the BS and LU happened to be one of them...thats a key fact that people either choose to over look or choose to forget but thats HUGE...people with the money win..bottom line...now everyone is on the same playing field except our team is one of the youngest
Tell that to the Yankees and Red Sox (and Braves) They did pretty good this season.
As for the story There was a lot of "drama" that could/should have been dealt with. CP was a bear to work with at times but was successful and did her best with what she had. Getting rid of her WAS/IS a mistake, but that is the past

Well when all of your SR's get together and are willing to do anything it took to have changes made I'm not quite sure where the "mistake" was...not to mention all the underclassman that wanted to say something but feared what would happen if no changes were made
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I'm not so sure all the underclassmen wanted change
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
i do not know the situation, and agreed that it is in the past, but CP was a successful coach and we have not been that successful since she left.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:I'm not so sure all the underclassmen wanted change
of course not...please notice the way I said all...if ALL of them wanted change we'd prob have WWIII taking place...as a student athlete why would I want a new coach to come in and have me losing sleep wondering if I'll fit in their system...well that's a BIG concern for a lot of underclassman and says a lot for the amount that were willing to take that chance and still have their voices heard (and they were)
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
i do not know the situation, and agreed that it is in the past, but CP was a successful coach and we have not been that successful since she left.

That is what I have been saying all year. I am not sure of the situation either but you can't argue with the results or the lack thereof.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Right...they did very well considering they were picked to finish 4th with Jess and ended up finishing 3rd without and would have been 2 if BS would have taken care of business...not to mention the best player on the court hands down was the part of their first true recruiting class...good things are to come and that team deserves a ton of credit for pulling together throught the injuries and while being young
By hurricane fan
Registration Days Posts
Not to mention the last Big South Player of The Year (Jen Belk) was recruited by Pinder when he was just a Graduate Assistant.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I get the impression that Winthrop is the only good volleyball team in the Big South. If that is a fact then finishing 3rd or 4th in that conference is no big deal. It looks like it could be decision time for admin as to what to do with the future of LU volleyball.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
If "if s and can's were pots and pans the world would be a big kitchen" They way CP was "ushered out" was/is an embarrasement and would be to ANY athletic department. A person of lesser character would have been a lot more vigorous in legal satisfaction, and would have won.
But the bed was made and it it time to lie in it. (Could I throw in any more cliche's?) With CP we could be counted on winneing the BS about every other year. As I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't really care what happens. It WOULD be nice to regain our CONSISTENT winning that we had before the change.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote:I get the impression that Winthrop is the only good volleyball team in the Big South. If that is a fact then finishing 3rd or 4th in that conference is no big deal. It looks like it could be decision time for admin as to what to do with the future of LU volleyball.
This is true...Winthrop is the only team that has done well in the Big South this year...all the other programs had embarassing non-conference seasons. And Falwell did give Pinder the public vote of confidence earlier this year. However, I am of the opinion lets give him one more year...we did live above our expectations this season after all and finished 3rd when we were picked 4th despite some key injuries. Though I think that was more of Coastal having a down year than anything else.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
somethings you cant put nicely...yall are idiots...lol
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:somethings you cant put nicely...yall are idiots...lol
Eloquent as always.
By tshirtman
Registration Days Posts
I believe all of the sports have the best coach for the job at the moment. If you have never been with LU sports as a coach, player, or support staff it is not the same as being on staff at a state funded school. The only help you get is from the school itself . I am not saying that is bad but when your budget is limited you can only compete at a certain level. So I believe Pinder has done a excelent job with what he has been given. If you don't like the way the program is going the only thing I can say is help by not only supporting with your thoughts but give some financal support .
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Brokeback...where ya been man?
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Brokeback...where ya been man?
Watching Doogie Howser reruns... sorry couldn't resist... back to Volleyball.
By Brokeback Flamer
Registration Days Posts
Not to mention re runs of Hollywood Squares with James J Bullock
Election 2022 and 2024

https://x.com/thevivafrei/status/18013478469746[…]

2025 Recruiting Discussion

It's good to see us bringing in some quality recru[…]

2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]