Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I read that we will try to play a lot of "regional" schools for non conference, to cut down on travel, since we will travel a lot for ASUN games.

As for BSC teams, I hope we will be "VERY SELECTIVE", if we play any of them. Don't play any cupcakes that would hurt our RPI.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A no-brainer IMHO. BSC teams would provide competitive but winnable D1 games within reasonable traveling distance, and in some cases would draw better than other opponents of the same calibre due to past rivalry and/or fan familiarity. I disagree that only the top tier teams are appropriate to schedule. For example, we have a history with Longwood going back to our D2 days, and I see no reason not to put them on the schedule every few years to keep that going. Some people have this unrealistic idea that there should never be a cupcake on the schedule. Probably over 90% of coaches don´t agree, and with good reason. Pre-conference play works best when you have a combination of challenges and ¨confidence-builders¨.
Last edited by olldflame on July 3rd, 2018, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When Coastal Carolina left BSC, I thought we would play them for some non conference games, but we haven't. I don't know if it was our choice or theirs not to play.

I would have liked for us have still played them in football, baseball and softball
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Yes, but only the Virginia (LONGWOOD, RADFORD, & Hampton)) and NC schools. And VMI, which also left the BSC.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:When Coastal Carolina left BSC, I thought we would play them for some non conference games, but we haven't. I don't know if it was our choice or theirs not to play.

I would have liked for us have still played them in football, baseball and softball
We have already scheduled at least 2 football games with Coastal. I´m sure it will happen in other sports as well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Yes, but only the Virginia (LONGWOOD, RADFORD, & Hampton)) and NC schools. And VMI, which also left the BSC.
So you are saying we should not play Coastal?
Never mind, Since we have left the BSC, I have mentally grouped CCU with our other former conference ¨mates¨, when as a member of the SBC, they obviously are in a different category.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am surprised we haven't played VMI after they left BSC. I have a feeling they refuse to play LU
I believe VMI is running the triple option again. Not something you want to schedule for a non conference game if you don´t need to. Too much extra work to prepare for one meaningless game.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:When Coastal Carolina left BSC, I thought we would play them for some non conference games, but we haven't. I don't know if it was our choice or theirs not to play.

Once Coastal went into their transition to FBS and could only schedule 1 or 2 FCS games, they wanted to be sure those games would be wins.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I get the impression that there might have been some feeling hurt during the VMI-Big South breakup. But count me among those who love seeing us playing them in as many sports as possible now that bones of contention are no longer in place.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I agree Sly, but I not know who got their feelings hurt. I could see us not playing VMI in football, but we should have continued to play them in baseball and basketball.
By Ewglenn
Redford and Longwood are obviously the first choices. I personally wouldn’t mind High Point, UNCA, CSU and Winthrop. Throw in PC or USC Upsate as winnable short trips and I’m pretty much okay with all BSC teams.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:CSU, UNCA, PC and Upstate are longer trips for low quality. I’m “eh” on them.
Plus, Ballcoach says Asheville is out in the middle of nowhere.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Since we just left BSC, we should not overload schedule with BSC teams. Playing LU will be "game of year" for most BSC teams.

In my opinion, we should not play any BSC school in softball or baseball. Play a heavy dose of ACC schools in SB and BB.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m with you partly, Ballcoach. I think it’s a little too far to say to play none at all. VMI, Longwood, High Point - these trips are too easy not to take if the opportunity presents itself.

I get the VMI thing in football. That’s just good strategy.

Should definitely keep playing Longwood in softball. Good RPI game just down the road?! No-brainer.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Radford, Longwood, Hampton, Gardner Webb, Highpoint. We should try and schedule them in the sports that it makes sense as much as possible. Close road games. The next couple of years, it will be a great litmus test to see how our programs are doing in the ASUN. If Radford wins the big south in basketball and we beat them by 30, it would be nice as a fan to keep up with that kind of thing.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Winthrop released its men's soccer schedule yesterday, and Liberty will be travelling to Rock Hill at the end of October:

http://www.winthropeagles.com/schedule. ... hedule=882

WU and LU aren't playing each other in Women's Soccer or Volleyball. And I'm not surprised to see that LU Cross Country is coming down to Rock Hill to compete in Winthrop's Invitational Meet since WU is hosting the NCAA Southeast Regionals this year, so I'm sure Liberty wants to have everyone run the course there before heading back down for the NCAAs.

I'll be curious if WU/LU will face each other in basketball or baseball...
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Does Gonzaga and St Mary have D1 football ? When[…]

LaTech

We are halfway through the season, yet we are stil[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]