Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If average person in state of North Carolina were asked to name ALL the D1 schools in state, half would probably not even name High Point.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If average person in state of North Carolina were asked to name ALL the D1 schools in state, half would probably not even name High Point.
I agree with everyone else. High Point is a pretty good school and yes people haven't heard of them, but they are doing a lot of things very good things right now and are headed in the right direction. I would love to see them join A-SUN with us.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If average person in state of North Carolina were asked to name ALL the D1 schools in state, half would probably not even name High Point.
And you could probably substitute Virginia and Liberty for N. Carolina and High Point in that sentence and it would be just as true. Even of those who know we exist, a lot don't realize we are D1.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Right, wrong or indifferent, a non football playing school doesn't bring much to the table. Now granted ASUN isn't a football conference...................but thought remains the same.

Now if one were to scrounge every D1 school in the nation, there might be 1 or 2 exceptions, but definitely few and far between.

When I think of High Point, I think of furniture markets.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
And of course what you think is what everyone else must think, too, right?

You’re incredibly far off on HPU. They’re planning a new b-ball facility. Great academics, huge facility enhancements all over campus, great donor base. Since new prez took over several years ago, they’ve been doing it right.

Football is NOT a necessity for a valuable collegiate package.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Liberty/JLFJR was a big broker in the Hampton-to-BSC deal. So it makes sense they would be in talk with ASun. But I thought Hampton was still in a legal battle with MEAC over departure fees.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Goodness this Commissioner likes to talk.
And he's very well spoken..
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I'm going to miss that little midget Kyle Kallander. He has hated us for a very long time. This is from the BS release.

“Liberty’s decision in 2017 to move its scholarship football program to the Football Bowl Subdivision placed it in violation of the Big South’s Sports Sponsorship Bylaws. While an accommodation for associate membership for the balance of Liberty’s Big South sports was agreed to at that time, Liberty recently requested that this status be reevaluated. After careful consideration, the Council of Chief Executive Officers determined that maintaining Liberty’s associate membership status remained in the best interest of the Conference.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote:I'm going to miss that little midget Kyle Kallander. He has hated us for a very long time. This is from the BS release.

“Liberty’s decision in 2017 to move its scholarship football program to the Football Bowl Subdivision placed it in violation of the Big South’s Sports Sponsorship Bylaws. While an accommodation for associate membership for the balance of Liberty’s Big South sports was agreed to at that time, Liberty recently requested that this status be reevaluated. After careful consideration, the Council of Chief Executive Officers determined that maintaining Liberty’s associate membership status remained in the best interest of the Conference.
In other words, we applied to be reinstated as a full member like the many schools who have individual teams playing in another conferences for one reason or another, and they turned it down.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
The A-Sun has always been a transitional league, we used them, Belmont did, etc. Makes sense for you guys to go if the goal is CAA, C-USA, Sun Belt, etc.

More proof Kallander is a colossal tool as well. I really wanted us to go SOCON when the chance presented itself awhile back, but Burch is a royal idiot too. Deadly combination.

Good luck to y'all. Maybe we will meet up in some out of conference games at some point.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Ian McCaw just said ASUN is 6th in softball RPI, and 7th in baseball RPI.
Not sure on the RPI, but they are good in golf as well. Placed 3 teams in the regionals. Being good in all those sports make sense based on geography.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The only negative (if there is one) is travel distance to some of the schools from Lynchburg. But on the bright side, most (if not all), ASUN schools are located in good geographical areas of the nation., which will make for some good road trips.
Liberty strengthens the ASUN in every sport immediately, I believe.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:The only negative (if there is one) is travel distance to some of the schools from Lynchburg. But on the bright side, most (if not all), ASUN schools are located in good geographical areas of the nation., which will make for some good road trips.
Mutually beneficial. We make them better and they give us better competition.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The only negative (if there is one) is travel distance to some of the schools from Lynchburg. But on the bright side, most (if not all), ASUN schools are located in good geographical areas of the nation., which will make for some good road trips.
It is a negative for a lot of people. Not everyone who would like to go to road games has the free time or financial resources to make multiple trips of this length. Most will need to go to a lot fewer away games. Some may not be able to go at all. There is no doubt that overall the A-Sun schools are located in more interesting places than the BSC.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:ASUN probably has more respect within NCAA than BSC across the board.
Not saying it is not true, but what do you base that on? (This should be good :wink: ).
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote:It is a negative for a lot of people. Not everyone who would like to go to road games has the free time or financial resources to make multiple trips of this length. Most will need to go to a lot fewer away games. Some may not be able to go at all. There is no doubt that overall the A-Sun schools are located in more interesting places than the BSC.
It's a negative for some, but I'd argue it's a net positive for most. The amount of alumni we have in Nashville, Atlanta, and Florida heavily outweighs the amount of fans who would travel to multiple Big South road games. So while some may be able to go to fewer away games, many will be able to go to more.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
olldflame wrote:It is a negative for a lot of people. Not everyone who would like to go to road games has the free time or financial resources to make multiple trips of this length. Most will need to go to a lot fewer away games. Some may not be able to go at all. There is no doubt that overall the A-Sun schools are located in more interesting places than the BSC.
It's a negative for some, but I'd argue it's a net positive for most. The amount of alumni we have in Nashville, Atlanta, and Florida heavily outweighs the amount of fans who would travel to multiple Big South road games. So while some may be able to go to fewer away games, many will be able to go to more.
To clarify, I was only referring to students and other fans from the Lynchburg area. I agree that with our alumni spread around the way they are it will provide opportunities for a lot of them to support the teams and we should be well represented at away games. I have a feeling you will be there when we play Lipscomb and their (per Purple) "historic" basketball program.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]