Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Katie obviously made the biggest impact. I was making the argument on the basis of talent. I agree, the twins don’t even belong in the conversation. Nice players, there at the beginning of the dynasty, but neither even the best player on their own team.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
JK37 wrote:I know what PH is saying. But 3-4 better than Megan?! This I gotta hear...

Remember, Megan had an offer from Ohio State, and they were coming off a Final 4 run.
Katie, Kisseleva, and the twins that played guards back in the day, (can't remember their names). IMVVVVHO, Katie and Kisseleva are not even arguable. We can argue/disagree some about the twins who played for Reeves, but they were faster than Megan, better ball handlers, not as good at scoring. I would say they are close to even. Don't know who PH is talking about, but he is probably more knowledgeable about WBB than I am. (Very weak on football though). :)
PH is not objective in this evaluation. 8)

I personally would rate Katie Feenstra as the best to ever play WBB for Liberty. Not the most athletic or skilled, but none of the others could have accomplished what she did in the same situation. You can make an argument for Kisseleva as next best, but I would go with Megan. "The twins that played guard" are Sarah and Sharon Wilkerson. Nice little players who IMHO do not belong in this conversation.
I’m very objective in this evaluation! I object to anyone else as the best player :D
BUT if I had the Second pick it would be between Megan and Elena.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I understand she had her limitations, but does anyone honestly believe you could substitute any other player who has donned a Liberty uniform for Katie Feenstra on that 2005 team and still go to the Sweet 16? I certainly don't.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
As far as Purple's favorite player is concerned, we'll never know how good she might have been if she had been reasonably free of injuries.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:As far as Purple's favorite player is concerned, we'll never know how good she might have been if she had been reasonably free of injuries.
That is so true. Not too many HS All Americans come to LU. I do believe she score close to 1k at both schools. She was 1 assist shy of her first! :D Play Basketball
She still has that nasty mid range game and as mean as a hornet! Too bad she’s gotten lost in the shuffle.

:D
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Never saw her, PH. Got film?

I saw both Elena and Megan. To me, it’s Megan, and it’s not even very close.

You are right about Katie in ‘05. But I think the unsung hero in that group was/is Allyson. And the 5’10” Lithuanian guard whose name escapes me, she was SNEAKY GOOD.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Allyson has moved up the college coaching ranks very nicely since she graduated. All fo these former player sint he college ranks shows that we had smart & savvy players during the golden era run.

Who was the big Russian that played in Elena's era? Her name escapes me but I covered her for a time when she played in WNBA with the now defunct but then dominating Houston Comets.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Never saw her, PH. Got film?

I saw both Elena and Megan. To me, it’s Megan, and it’s not even very close.

You are right about Katie in ‘05. But I think the unsung hero in that group was/is Allyson. And the 5’10” Lithuanian guard whose name escapes me, she was SNEAKY GOOD.
‘Film’ I think would be operative word. I’m not sure the budget back then could afford those fancy video cameras!! :D That’s why she’s a legend. Ask anyone who saw her play they all have stories. She’s to humble to brag. (and remember this was all before Title IX kicked in which makes it more impressive )

I totally agree about that Lithuanian Guard. By far the most underrated player I e seen come through. She never got the accolades she deserved as evidenced by the fact no one can remember her name!
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:On April 19th, everyone should be "talking" softball and baseball, not women's basketball.
Well this thread is about the overall state of athletics. So...
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I can think of one player better than Megan Play Basketball :D
Is this the one you brag about sleeping with? :shock: AKA, Mrs. Purple.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I can think of one player better than Megan Play Basketball :D
He doesn't bother with euphemisms.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Getting back to the thread topic, Liberty was leading the overall BSC Sasser Cup standings following the Winter sports, and with Spring going well (and T&F championships pretty much a sure thing for M & W) it looks like we will win it again in our final year of eligibility. I still don't get why we will not qualify next year when Campbell did, even though they played football in the Pioneer league.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Amongst other things...... 8)
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Getting back to the thread topic, Liberty was leading the overall BSC Sasser Cup standings following the Winter sports, and with Spring going well (and T&F championships pretty much a sure thing for M & W) it looks like we will win it again in our final year of eligibility. I still don't get why we will not qualify next year when Campbell did, even though they played football in the Pioneer league.
The Sasser Cup really means nothing, except we are a big fish in a VERY, VERY small pond. With T&F, CC and WBB winning almost every year, the rest of the sports just have to be average to win it.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Our only competition for the cup over last 15 years was Coastal - their FB, MBB, T&F, Baseball, Soccer, Volleyball etc.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Yes, DAINA! She was legit good. Katie was the cog, Allyson smart beyond her years in ‘05. But DAINA was the kind of off-guard you have to have. So smart and deceptively athletic.

Let’s keep WBB going Just for Ballcoach!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Yes, DAINA! She was legit good. Katie was the cog, Allyson smart beyond her years in ‘05. But DAINA was the kind of off-guard you have to have. So smart and deceptively athletic.

Daina was a great player who never got her due. She could play 3 positions, was a steel assassin from outside and sneaky athletic. Katie was the deserved focus but she would have been easier to contain without Daina on the floor.
I’m settling on Elena as the 2nd best player ever but granted I spent more time around her than Megan so knew more of what she was capable of doing. Having her with Sharon and Sarah on the court was the beginning of what we have today. They were a tough match up. I always wondered why their siblings never came.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Why isn't Crystal Tharp getting any love? Didn't she hit the 3-ball that got us the OT win against UVa in the Vines Center years ago?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Nice shooter. Not much else.
Avery was another really solid player. Love post players like her.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Yes, DAINA! She was legit good. Katie was the cog, Allyson smart beyond her years in ‘05. But DAINA was the kind of off-guard you have to have. So smart and deceptively athletic.

I definitely believe Daina was a major lynchpin for those dominant teams, especially that 05 team. She was quick, could shoot the lights out and an excellent facilitator as well. Probably in the top 5 guards for sure at LU and certainly top 10 players all time despite not having really eye popping numbers
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Oooooo ... a top 10 all-time LU WBB players. We've been working toward it for some time. It will be tough to measure players from different eras but is worth discussion. For the record, I'm not sure I'd have Daina, or Crystal for that matter, in my Top 10. I'll give it some thought but you can't leave out the 2nd-leading scorer in school history, Devon Brown.

It is interesting to note that some of the players like Avery really were hitting their stride in their final season and proved even stronger after moving to the pro ranks.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]