Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
I like the idea and premise here. How do we standardize expectations across our sports though? I think most of us expect to be BSC Champs in just about every sport. Is that really a C? It may be, I'm just asking.
I don't think you can standardize them. I think you have to judge a team against where its at. Softball's got a higher set of expectations this year than baseball does and should be judged accordingly.

Also - I'm of the mindset that you can't expect the conference championship every single year. There are too many other good teams out there, even in bad leagues. You can, however, expect to compete for the championship.

For example, let's use softball.

Expectation: Compete for the title, finish in the top two in the league. Their grades would shake out:

A - Be in a regional final or better
B - Win the league and/or win the Big South tournament
C - Finish 2-3 in the league, don't win Big South tournament
D - Finish 4-6 in the league
F - Finish below 6 in the league
I guess we will throw them at C+ until we know more. This seems like a bell curve of expectations. I can dig it. Whats our C expectation on Baseball?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Oooooo ... a top 10 all-time LU WBB players. We've been working toward it for some time. It will be tough to measure players from different eras but is worth discussion. For the record, I'm not sure I'd have Daina, or Crystal for that matter, in my Top 10. I'll give it some thought but you can't leave out the 2nd-leading scorer in school history, Devon Brown.

It is interesting to note that some of the players like Avery really were hitting their stride in their final season and proved even stronger after moving to the pro ranks.
I’d take Daina over Devon all day every day and twice on The Lords Day
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
As soon as he said it, I just KNEW Purple wouldn’t let it go!

I liked Devon Brown. She’s be in my top 5. Daina would be in my Top 10. But Tharp wouldn’t make my list.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:As soon as he said it, I just KNEW Purple wouldn’t let it go!

I liked Devon Brown. She’s be in my top 5. Daina would be in my Top 10. But Tharp wouldn’t make my list.
Nothing to let go. Devon was a stat sheet stuffer. She wasn’t bad and is an all time leading scorer. But I’m not sure I’d put her Top 10
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Devon Brown...is an all time leading scorer. But I’m not sure I’d put her Top 10
:dontgetit
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Devon Brown...is an all time leading scorer. But I’m not sure I’d put her Top 10
:dontgetit
Yes? You have a question?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Not a fan of evaluating a program based on expectations. They are too often unrealistic or misguided. Where we are now IMHO, in almost every case a conference championship and a tournament bid should be an A, whether it was expected/predicted or not.
Last edited by olldflame on April 23rd, 2018, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple, is Devon LU's all time leading scorer or not? Using "an' instead of "the" doesn't make it clear. If she is not, where does she rank among our all time leading scorers?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Purple, is Devon LU's all time leading scorer or not? Using "an' instead of "the" doesn't make it clear. If she is not, where does she rank among our all time leading scorers?
She is 2 in total points 5 in PPG
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Purple, is Devon LU's all time leading scorer or not? Using "an' instead of "the" doesn't make it clear. If she is not, where does she rank among our all time leading scorers?
Devon is second on the all time scoring list with 2001. Elena Kisseleva scored 2154.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I agree with ollsflame 1000%, said it better than I ever could have. Expectations (especially by ignorant fans like all of us) are too often misguided. Judging a program on that is just asinine.

Winning a championship when it was predicted to be done, probably even harder than winning one by surprise. Just ask Carey.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
How about a WBB all-time starting lineup?

PG - Allyson
SG - Daina
SF - Devon
PF - Megan
C - Katie

Now THAT lineup would do some damage!
By Jonathan Carone
When I say expectations, I’m not talking about fan expectations. While the media and SIDs aren’t perfect, they set the standard for where a program is expected to finish with preseason rankings. I base expectations on those rankings.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:How about a WBB all-time starting lineup?

PG - Allyson
SG - Daina
SF - Devon
PF - Megan
C - Katie

I’d put Wooldridge at SF but few here saw her play. Play Basketball :lol:

But you can’t keep Elena off that squad so I’d slot her at the SF position
PG is a jumble. Sarah was a good PG but Sharon was more versatile. No one really stands out over anyone else IMO at that position
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I think the best PG we have ever had is probably playing for us right now, but time will tell. Another one who probably would have been in the mix, but got homesick after her SO year (for Macedonia, of all places) was Jelena Antic. A serious talent at 6'2".
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I agree completely on both accounts, Olldflame. Jelly has enjoyed a strong pro career in Europe since she has left campus. And for the record, Macedonia is a gorgeous Mediterranean country.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I think the best PG we have ever had is probably playing for us right now.
YES!!! :clapping :nod
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I considered Elena at the 2. I remember watching those teams play.

We wouldn’t even be talking about Sarah or Sharon had Elena not played with them. And maybe we wouldn’t be talking about Allyson if she hadn’t played with her group as a FRESHMAN.

So because we’ve never really had a star PG, LU’s current one probably will end up being best ever. She’s on that track.

But I think Devon was better than Elena. So on that I know we disagree.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote:How about a WBB all-time starting lineup?

PG - Allyson
SG - Daina
SF - Devon
PF - Megan
C - Katie

I’d put Wooldridge at SF but few here saw her play. Play Basketball :lol:

But you can’t keep Elena off that squad so I’d slot her at the SF position
PG is a jumble. Sarah was a good PG but Sharon was more versatile. No one really stands out over anyone else IMO at that position
I did see Mrs. Purple play (basketball) a little and I would not argue with you.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I think the best PG we have ever had is probably playing for us right now, but time will tell. Another one who probably would have been in the mix, but got homesick after her SO year (for Macedonia, of all places) was Jelena Antic. A serious talent at 6'2".
Can’t argue with either ‘point’
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure what year it was but the year we had Devon Brown, Jelena Antic, Amber Mays and Avery Warley we lost to Kentucky, a top 10 team in NCAAs by 6 points on their home court. The problem was after those 4 we had no depth or talent to speak of yet we finished 27-6. If we had a 5th contributor and a bench . . who knows! Our current team lacks that kind of talent but we do have lots of depth.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jelena could have been special and Avery is one of my all time favorites LU hasn’t had that type of athleticism is the post before or since. Adding brown into that mix made it potent.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]