Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
How does women's basketball get "more love" in April than baseball & softball.

I rather watch one inning of softball than an entire basketball game.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:How does women's basketball get "more love" in April than baseball & softball.

Baseball isn’t very good this year and nobody cares about softball. Once again, it’s not all about you and your myopic worldview.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
This thread got off track, from state of athletics, to best point guard or something pertaining to WBB.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:How does women's basketball get "more love" in April than baseball & softball.

Baseball isn’t very good this year and nobody cares about softball. Once again, it’s not all about you and your myopic worldview.
Don't expect ballcoach to understand why some of us like to discuss stuff like this.

Baseball not very good? You're a tough room. Our baseball team is 24-14 overall and 12-6 in conference in spite of multiple injuries to pitchers. We have a better than even shot at the 2 seed for the tourney IMHO, and took 2 of 3 from Campbell, who will likely get the top seed.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 1&teamID=1

I might add that if they voted now, Todd would probably be Player of the Year and Price Pitcher of the Year.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
adam42381 wrote:

Don't expect ballcoach to understand why some of us like to discuss stuff like this.

Baseball not very good? You're a tough room. Our baseball team is 24-14 overall and 12-6 in conference in spite of multiple injuries to pitchers. We have a better than even shot at the 2 seed for the tourney IMHO, and took 2 of 3 from Campbell, who will likely get the top seed.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 1&teamID=1

I might add that if they voted now, Todd would probably be Player of the Year and Price Pitcher of the Year.
You're right. I haven't followed baseball very closely this year. I thought I'd read some complaining early in the season, but it seems they've turned things around despite the injuries. I will amend my original statement to read "Nobody cares about softball."
By Jonathan Carone
Class of 20Something wrote:I just want to add how much better LU athletics website is since the redesign. The information is presented so much better than before.
It's so much better. They did a great job.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Softball is LU's best sport , but they haven't won enough to bring out the "Fair-Weather and Band Wagon" fans.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Softball is LU's best sport , but they haven't won enough to bring out the "Fair-Weather and Band Wagon" fans.
Our softball team is good, but they have yet to win a conference championship under Richardson.

Golf Just won their 5th in 8 years.
WBB has won something like 16 of the last 20.
Track and Field and Cross Country........ too many to count from the teams, to say nothing of the individuals who have won NATIONAL championships.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Softball is LU's best sport , but they haven't won enough to bring out the "Fair-Weather and Band Wagon" fans.
Coach Tolsma is on line 1 for you
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Field Hockey and Golf are nationally ranked programs. Track and field...the results just speaks for themselves.

3 best sports at Liberty as of now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Ha, take THAT Ballcoach!
He’s never one to let facts get in the way of his opinions
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote::checkeredflag :pbjtime "SOFTBALL IS LIBERTY'S BEST SPORT AS OF MAY 3, 2018"
They currently have the best RPI of any Spring sport. Taking that one fact and making the assumption it is our best sport overall is something I would expect from you, but that certainly does not make it a fact. Golf, for example, is only a few spots lower in the RPI, won the conference tourney in dominant fashion, is already in the NCAA tournament, and has a past history of success there, having finished as high as 10th one year.

I am ecstatic about the success of our softball program, and I do believe Dot has things in place to build on what we have achieved so far and be dominant in the future. We will know in the next few weeks just how soon the future begins.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote::checkeredflag :pbjtime "SOFTBALL IS LIBERTY'S BEST SPORT AS OF MAY 3, 2018"
I am sure you are dancing to the walk up music, right Coach? :D
By cruzan_flame13
In women soccer, their non-conference games are against LSU,UVA,JMU,GWU, etc. They are stepping up, but I'm not sure about the men team.

Edit: Will add that lacrosse and field hockey is stepping up as well and there are plans to renovate their fields and probably add some bleachers for the growth of supporters.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
We have regressed for the last few years in baseball. Toman's last year wasn't that good. Our current team was not as good as the year before.
I like our new coach. But I am somewhat disappointed with his limited success in his first two years. Yes we have had some injuries, but that happens with all teams, it is not unique to us. When our pitchers were having arm problems under Toman, some here were suggesting that it was Toman's fault. That of course was total :BS . It is the nature of today's game. There are a whole lot more arm problems than years past, at all levels of competition, including MLB. They have the best doctors, trainers in the world. I know that the current staff was working with one pitcher this year, trying to tweak his delivery. Some professional scouts and others, did not agree with the approach at all.
Regardless of the above, I believe that Coach Jackson is a great person and a great fit for the university. I will be majorly disappointed if we are at the same level, two years from now. Until then, he clearly deserves the opportunity to have a couple more recruiting classes under his belt.
I agree with IM, the way to judge coaches is continuous improvement. Which begs the question about the future of our football staff. But that is another question. I suspect by November, if not by the end of September, the last of the Gill defenders will finally see the light, or at least know what a football looks like. 8)
Last edited by flameshaw on June 25th, 2018, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Excellent post flameshaw. I agree with you, in that after 2 more years, if baseball is at same level as now_____________.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:We have regressed for the last few years in baseball. Toman's last year wasn't that good. Our current team was not as good as the year before.
I like our new coach. But I am somewhat disappointed with his limited success in his first two years. Yes we have had some injuries, but that happens with all teams, it is not unique to us. When our pitchers were having arm problems under Toman, some here were suggesting that it was Toman's fault. That of course was total :BS . It is the nature of today's game. There are a whole lot more arm problems than years past, at all levels of competition, including MLB. They have the best doctors, trainers in the world. I know that the current staff was working with one pitcher this year, trying to tweak his delivery. Some professional scouts and others, did not agree with the approach at all.
Regardless of the above, I believe that Coach Jackson is a great person and a great fit for the university. I will be majorly disappointed if we are at the same level, two years from now. Until then, he clearly deserves the opportunity to have a couple more recruiting classes under his belt.
I agree with IM, the way to judge coaches is continuous improvement. Which begs the question about the future of our football staff. But that is another question. I suspect by November, if not by the end of September, the last of the Gill defenders will finally see the light, or at least know what a football looks like. 8)
Given McDyre hit 100 points less than last year Artis hit 50 points below his career average, DeGroat out all year along with the rest of the injuries I'd say having a winning record was an accomplishment.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
flameshaw wrote:We have regressed for the last few years in baseball. Toman's last year wasn't that good. Our current team was not as good as the year before.
Given McDyre hit 100 points less than last year Artis hit 50 points below his career average, DeGroat out all year along with the rest of the injuries I'd say having a winning record was an accomplishment.
Not every player has the same or better stats every year. Some players have off years on every team, this is nothing new, even MLB. IF the standard is continuous improvement, we have not met that standard the last few years. If the standard is a winning season, none of them notable as I recall (we split with VT and WF), and excuses for not improving, then we met that standard. I guess it is just how one defines an accomplishment. Most places, merely having a winning record doesn't cut it for long. I wish Coach Jackson nothing but success and many, many years as head of the program. Hopefully, he can take us on a trip to Omaha in the next 5 years. If he does, I will be there. 8)
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agree with flameshaw 100 percent on both points. Also he is exactly right about the arm injuries. There were several current posters blaming all that on quinn/toman. Interesting that it was crickets this year and we had the most arm injuries since ive followed. Again. I dont think it was either staffs fault but it is hypocritical to blame JT and not SJ staff if that was truly believed.

The overally talent of the program has declined for 4 straight years. Todd and skirrow were the only studs i saw in last years class. Stamper and rohrer showed moderate success. More could come along but im simply talking what we know.

This year it could flip flop. Clinton got another year of eligibility and price and skirrow showed to be key pieces. Stamper mcinvale and erickson could form a solid nucleus. Problem is the offense is going to have to find a LOT of production. The lineup was only about 5 men deep last year and the top 2 studs are in the minors.

We bring back locklear matthieu galazin and embry as the only consistent contributors. Rohrer could be a 280 hitter with moderate pop. Allen had a hot start but skidded for the last 2 months and he was finally healthy. Gotta have more production at 1b. Thats 4 to 5 bats that we have to find plus some left handed pitching since there is a total of zero lhp innings returning.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]