Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rocco
Registration Days
i've recently gotten interested in liberty university and, since i'm a volleyball fan, Liberty volleyball. I have a few questions that I would really appreciate the answers too. What is the coaching staff like? I saw that they are all relatively new and I've heard from others that they are pretty good coaches. Any opinions?
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
coaching staff is young. but Atrain can expand on this subject
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
First off, welcome to the board. Its good to hear anytime we have somebody else joining our ranks with an interest in LU athletics.

The volleyball team is battling through a rough season by our standards. There are plenty of folks with opinions of the staff here on the board. I'll let them address Coach Pinder.

As for the school, I think you'll find LU is a unique place that inspires strong feelings on every front. Obviously we are passionate about Liberty sports here on this board.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Coach Pinder is in his third year as head coach and previously served as an assistant under Chris Phillips (now Gardner-Webb's coach), including in 99 and 01 when we won the Big South tournament. Phillips was let go for reasons that I am not going to bring up b/c what I have is mostly info I cannot verify at this time.

Basically, since Pinder came in, a lot of Phillips recruits either left the program, or do not like the way Pinder does things. Some do love the way he runs things. But since he took over, the program has gone 13-19, 9-22 and this year are 9-15 so far. The assistants on the team are all brand new to coaching but not LU volleyball...both Becky Rudnick and Jennifer Vaden (formerly Belk) were freshmen when the team won its last Big South championship before Winthrop's dynasty began. Jonathan is a volunteer assistant who was on the men's club team, and several former members of the men's club team do help out from time to time, which I think if our men's club team practiced with them more then they would be exponentially better b/c they'd be dealing with people who hit harder and have more physical athletic ability, but thats just me.

Personally, I'm honestly not sure what I think of the coaching staff, especially in regards to Pinder...the records speak volumes, but according to some on this board he inherited a mess and deserves another year...right now, I just don't know. He has brought in some good talent, like sophomore Kendall Nichols and freshman Kallie Corbin, and this season one of the big key players (Jessica Nelson) is having to redshirt due breaking her leg last spring. Also redshirting are Kirsten Sanders and Carmen Streeper. Plus you look at the roster this year and last year, we are still a young team. At the same time though, being shutout by Davidson...errrr, uhhh, ummm...yeeah. Especially when we beat them 3-2 last year.

But yeah, thats a glimpse of the coaching staff for you...hope it helps.
By rocco
Registration Days
yeah, that definitely helps out a lot. thanks for your opinions. i hope the team will be able to finish the season strong!
do you have any idea how the next couple of seasons are going to be? I mean, does he have any more great recruits like Kallie Corbin or Kendall Nichols in the ranks?
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
they have a girl who was recruited by UNC as an outside hitter coming next season.
By LU Facility Crew
Registration Days Posts
Without intending to be on the negative side, there was an article written for Sports Litigation Alert/Legal Issues in College Sports (Hackney Publications) about the termination of Coach Chris Phillips. While the author does not give all of the seedy details, it does make for interesting LUAD insight and did provide for a lot of conversation during the Big South meetings that year.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
LU Facility Crew wrote:Without intending to be on the negative side, there was an article written for Sports Litigation Alert/Legal Issues in College Sports (Hackney Publications) about the termination of Coach Chris Phillips. While the author does not give all of the seedy details, it does make for interesting LUAD insight and did provide for a lot of conversation during the Big South meetings that year.
Wait til they get a load of a year ago!!!
By chopertony
Registration Days Posts
I have been around Coach Pinder for two seasons now and have found his vision for this team to be top notch. The team is battling numerous injuries but have fought their way into third place in the Big South and one game out of second place. Next season we will have Nelson back on the court and a new quality outside hitter coming in. They are on a roll right now and look to finish this season strong. Just my opinion but the outlook for next season looks even better!
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
chopertony wrote:I have been around Coach Pinder for two seasons now and have found his vision for this team to be top notch. The team is battling numerous injuries but have fought their way into third place in the Big South and one game out of second place. Next season we will have Nelson back on the court and a new quality outside hitter coming in. They are on a roll right now and look to finish this season strong. Just my opinion but the outlook for next season looks even better!
we will see
By hurricane fan
Registration Days Posts
I think it is funny how certain coaching staffs are ALWAYS given the beneift of the doubt and others continue to be questioned. This is definately not a FAIR AND BALANCED FORUM.
By nickrichard
Registration Days Posts
I think Chopper Tony is right on. I feel injuries hinder VB more than other sports. With only 6 playing at a time, any losses to any of these starters is potentially disasterous. I feel your bigger schools are able to overcome this a little better, because they have the resources to field a deeper team. Teams at our level have to rely on 6-8 players, and if you lose any of them (especially a player of Jessica's ability) you are set up for a long year.
Cane fan is also on to something. I feel some coaches can do no wrong while some coaches can do no right. I feel Pinder is in the can do no right catagory. He is in third place, battling for 2nd with and injured team, and everybody is calling for his head. Lets cut him a little slack. I have heard nothing but good things about Pinder as a person, and some certainly speak to his vision and the future of the program. Go LUVB!
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
did we ban intramural sports yet??? :lol:

That was a great post AG...those are the things i truly missed :lol:
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]