Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

alabama24 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don't know that it's possible to have great FBS success in football while still maintaining who we are as a school.
From the few glimpses I get of BYU, I would not call their football team a "success" on the field, but they certainly provide great visibility to the school. In all honesty, none of us would know anything about BYU except for their football team. In that respect, the program is a great success. To me, we need our football program to become that... (And we can't be that at the FCS level).
BYU is known as one of the dirtiest football teams in football. That may be only amongst sports fans but I wouldn't want that reputation.

If you go outside the Liberty bubble and see what people think of us right now, they think we've sold our soul for success. I don't know if that's a reputation I want.

One of the main issues is our administration doesn't care what people think of us or how they view us. In my view, our mission and our reputation are tied together at the hip. We can't complete our mission when people view us as something contrary to that mission.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don't know that it's possible to have great FBS success in football while still maintaining who we are as a school.
From the few glimpses I get of BYU, I would not call their football team a "success" on the field, but they certainly provide great visibility to the school. In all honesty, none of us would know anything about BYU except for their football team. In that respect, the program is a great success. To me, we need our football program to become that... (And we can't be that at the FCS level).
BYU is known as one of the dirtiest football teams in football. That may be only amongst sports fans but I wouldn't want that reputation.

If you go outside the Liberty bubble and see what people think of us right now, they think we've sold our soul for success. I don't know if that's a reputation I want.

One of the main issues is our administration doesn't care what people think of us or how they view us. In my view, our mission and our reputation are tied together at the hip. We can't complete our mission when people view us as something contrary to that mission.
BYU has a checkered past as well. Depending on whom you believe they only started admitting black students so they could compete in athletics. Their 2 most famous Alum in athletics are Jim McMahon and Danny Ainge. You also have that Mormon Mission clause. Which helps and hurts. And they absolutely have a reputation as dirty on the field.
On a side bar, I think it's financially foolish the PAC Whatever or Big 12 haven't added them
Jonathan Carone wrote:
alabama24 wrote:
If you go outside the bubble .... our administration doesn't care what people think of us or how they view us. In my view, our mission and our reputation are tied together at the hip. We can't complete our mission when people view us as something contrary to that mission.
In football I think JFJR, Turner Gill and Ron Brown are doing a great job on both. I believe it was the AD from Arkansas State, Mohajir that said you can't recruit an FBS winner with the Liberty Way in place. Admittedly difficult. I'm warming up to our new AD. He's seen the dangers and probably understands the task better than anyone else at this point.
Last edited by TH Spangler on December 16th, 2016, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's one of the benefits of McCaw. He's seen a school sell out for success. My hope is he was brought in to have that success without selling out. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see that type of result over the next five years.
You just voiced the quandary of the hire. He apparently didn't do things 'The Liberty Way' at Baylor.
But this goes beyond FB to the school and athletics in particular. To a person, the perception is LU has sold out to get money wins and to the FBS. And that's fine. If you can't see how people can come to that conclusion than you need to really take some self inventory.
Jonathan Carone wrote:That's one of the benefits of McCaw. He's seen a school sell out for success. My hope is he was brought in to have that success without selling out. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see that type of result over the next five years.
I think that where most people are. Despite the fact JR and his minions label all people who disagree with his decision as basically 'deplorables'. LU has much better mechanisms in place to handle similar situations that occurred under his watch at Baylor. But success for both parties will be if he can get LU into an FBS conference. Then a few years here to rehab his image and he's off. I'm not even convinced that if these investigations in Texas turn up something it will have any repercussions here in Lynchburg.
thepostman wrote:Dude's been around less than a week and he is already tapping out on his first debate?

That's weak.
Tapping out? Wow you guys are really something else. I said I'll be around asking questions about athletes and other discussions. I just wanted to let the conclude my perspective on the earlier topic. Like the idiom states, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
thepostman wrote:Dude's been around less than a week and he is already tapping out on his first debate?

That's weak.
Tapping out? Wow you guys are really something else. I said I'll be around asking questions about athletes and other discussions. I just wanted to let the conclude my perspective on the earlier topic. Like the idiom states, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
You must be dam near dehydrated :rofl
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

That's weak.
Cool story, bro.

I actually am still not sure what you were even trying to say.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
alabama24 wrote:

They'll always be people who will bash/criticize Liberty very chance they get. So it doesn't matter what Liberty does when it comes to making decision for the school's future. We should always know that. The fact that we are Christians and that we are not very open like other schools, folks will have grudges and even folks who were involve in the school. This shouldn't be a shocker at all.
Jonathan Carone wrote:That's one of the benefits of McCaw. He's seen a school sell out for success. My hope is he was brought in to have that success without selling out. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see that type of result over the next five years.
I agree as well. Although I don't see Jerry selling out (not saying that you think he will).
Purple Haize wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

That's weak.
You must be dam near dehydrated :rofl
Seem like folks have been drinking water with salt mixed in while relaxing in a pot of water as it get hotter.
thepostman wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

That's weak.
Cool story, bro.

I actually am still not sure what you were even trying to say.[/q

That I am sure of.
If you are cool with talking and circles and not being able to actually articulate your point in a way people understand what you are saying, that is on you. Just don't expect people to jump right in and agree with you.

I actually think I agree with you for the most part but your posts weren't really clear so who knows.
thepostman wrote:If you are cool with talking and circles and not being able to actually articulate your point in a way people understand what you are saying, that is on you. Just don't expect people to jump right in and agree with you.

I actually think I agree with you for the most part but your posts weren't really clear so who knows.
Well sir, it seem that others comprehended by replying to me on the discussion. If you and others don't understand what is being said, maybe you just don't understand completely in general. I wasn't going around in circles, just was stating that there's nothing wrong in wanting a better athletic program and that people will always criticize and try to use God just because they don't like the action taken(McCaws hiring). I also added the fact that we shouldn't look at media and believe the bias statements since McCaw was not fired or convicted of anything. Of course there were some questions in my statements. It's not talking in circles if I'm replying to several people; possibly you're confused by all the responses and who they were directed towards.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
thepostman wrote:If you are cool with talking and circles and not being able to actually articulate your point in a way people understand what you are saying, that is on you. Just don't expect people to jump right in and agree with you.

Well sir, it seem that others comprehended by replying to me on the discussion. If you and others don't understand what is being said, maybe you just don't understand completely in general. I wasn't going around in circles, just was stating that there's nothing wrong in wanting a better athletic program and that people will always criticize and try to use God just because they don't like the action taken(McCaws hiring). I also added the fact that we shouldn't look at media and believe the bias statements since McCaw was not fired or convicted of anything. Of course there were some questions in my statements. It's not talking in circles if I'm replying to several people; possibly you're confused by all the responses and who they were directed towards.
I think your brother hung out with us a couple a years ago. :lol:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

It is more like talking in ovals
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote: You must be dam near dehydrated :rofl
Seem like folks have been drinking water with salt mixed in while relaxing in a pot of water as it get hotter.
I hate to out people on a message board but......

[youtube]XOGWbzUM-y8[/youtube]
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Are you sure I'm alone?
adam42381 wrote:I feel dumber after reading this thread.
Purple Haize wrote:I am far from a Grammar Nazi but I can't follow 1/2 of what you are saying I'll make my fair share of grammatical mistakes but I'm struggling trying to follow your thought process. Which is saying something
SumItUp wrote:
Roccgroh?
Purple Haize wrote: Before that maybe they need a remedial English course? Perhaps Cider can help?
TH Spangler wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

I think your brother hung out with us a couple a years ago. :lol:
I wouldn't know :lol:
Purple Haize wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote: You must be dam near dehydrated :rofl
I hate to out people on a message board but......

[youtube]XOGWbzUM-y8[/youtube]
Do what you want. I'm not here to be in cliques.
thepostman wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Are you sure I'm alone?
adam42381 wrote:I feel dumber after reading this thread.
Purple Haize wrote:I am far from a Grammar Nazi but I can't follow 1/2 of what you are saying I'll make my fair share of grammatical mistakes but I'm struggling trying to follow your thought process. Which is saying something
SumItUp wrote:
Roccgroh?
Purple Haize wrote: Before that maybe they need a remedial English course? Perhaps Cider can help?
Never said that you were alone. Since that you brought in some other quotes, these are the same people on here who belittles people that doesn't agree with them. Like I said before, I'm not here to be in a clique or act like little children. You can say what you want to say but there are others who responded to my messages without any confusion. I suppose if I'm messaging you or the others who don't "get it," I'll have to downplay my responses.
For the record I don't belittle anyone. But I do fire barbs at anyone. And everyone. I also get hit with them.
No one agrees 100% with everyone on this board. If they did it would be awful boring
Purple Haize wrote:For the record I don't belittle anyone. But I do fire barbs at anyone. And everyone. I also get hit with them.
No one agrees 100% with everyone on this board. If they did it would be awful boring
Yeah I see that, which I'm glad we all don't. This is totally different from the other forums. They were very boring.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]