Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I see your point but I don't know what they offer teams. A lot different in the FCS compared to FBS. I know previously, Liberty had the ego of thinking they were a top 10 team and everyone would lay down to schedule them. For the FCS powers at least. Maybe that played in the incentives of what to offer teams but again I don't know what their philosophy on scheduling now.

other things as well like competing with recruits (JMU) or other schools that are having trouble scheduling teams. (Home for Home deals). I know deals fell through because of this.

either way Liberty wants to get any press and recognition they can get even if its a bad idea.
ballah09 wrote:I see your point but I don't know what they offer teams. A lot different in the FCS compared to FBS. I know previously, Liberty had the ego of thinking they were a top 10 team and everyone would lay down to schedule them. For the FCS powers at least. Maybe that played in the incentives of what to offer teams but again I don't know what their philosophy on scheduling now.

other things as well like competing with recruits (JMU) or other schools that are having trouble scheduling teams. (Home for Home deals). I know deals fell through because of this.

either way Liberty wants to get any press and recognition they can get even if its a bad idea.

That seems to be their 'go to' type of publicity
BuryYourDuke wrote:It is highly unlikely that we would be without a conference home for our other sports. I don't believe we will get the boot from the Big South to begin with, but like Ballah mentioned, there are other options.

We won't go independent unless we've secured the ability to produce an FBS schedule. While we aren't the best PR school, we aren't THAT short sighted.
Ya wanna put money on that?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
FCS school, NMSU, Army, UMASS. Couple of money games and contracts with a couple of G5 schools and maybe continue the rivalry with coastal. ODU ad and president is looking for rival and was quoted that they would like Liberty if they moved up. I know it's not simple as that but it's not out the realm to schedule a few teams
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Olldflame - You threw out something that I had never seen anywhere else. Why would we need an exception to be allowed ot play in bowls? I recognize that without a conference that bowl tie-ins are eaten up. But every year there bottom feeder bowls desperately looking to fill their lineup. BYU & Idaho play Wednesday & Thursday evening. What am I missing?

While FBS Independent status is not anyone's preferred route to FBS-land, I don't see it as ridiculous as some of you. Having Big South or other league for the remainder of our sports is a prerequisite. There are plenty of precedents for that being viable in short term.
olldflame wrote:SOR tweeted this quote from McCaw, which seemingly indicates going FBS Indy is a possibility

The online version of this interview with Damian does not include this quote I guess it could have only appeared in the print version, which sometimes happens

Scheduling 11 or 12 football games as an FBS Independant would be tough, but doable Filling full schedules for all sports is another matter entirely I really don't think it is feasable to make this move unless the BSC (or some other conference) would keep\take us for other sports

Keep in mind that unless the NCAA made an exception we could not be considered for a bowl, and if we exceeded the FCS scholarship limit of 63 we could not be in the FCS playoffs
The quote about FBS independent comes from the Q&A that appeared online only. It is a three-part series with the final part focusing solely on football. Here is the link to the above mention quote from McCaw:
http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/damie ... e7401.html
9/2 FCS home game
9/9 @SEC school
9/16 New Mexico St Home
9/23 @ODU
9/30 @ Army
10/6 BYE
10/13 UMASS Home
10/20 @ MAC school
10/27 Eastern Michigan
11/2 @ Arkansas St
11/9@ SEC
11/16 Coastal
11/23 @IDK

5 home games
Sly Fox wrote:Olldflame - You threw out something that I had never seen anywhere else. Why would we need an exception to be allowed ot play in bowls? I recognize that without a conference that bowl tie-ins are eaten up. But every year there bottom feeder bowls desperately looking to fill their lineup. BYU & Idaho play Wednesday & Thursday evening. What am I missing?

While FBS Independent status is not anyone's preferred route to FBS-land, I don't see it as ridiculous as some of you. Having Big South or other league for the remainder of our sports is a prerequisite. There are plenty of precedents for that being viable in short term.
That's a huge assumption. If BYU is having difficulty getting a Conference invite with far more history and less baggage I'm not sure how 'short' short term for LU would be.
BuryYourDuke wrote:For the umpteenth time, BYU could be in a conference whenever they wanted. They left s conference to go Indy.

They can't get into the PAC 12 or Big 12 at the moment, where they would like to be.
And that further makes my point. LUncant even get in another FCS Conference even without the #FBSReady stuff. How exactly will that improve as an FBS Independent?

On a side note the aquatic center is :shock:
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
On a side note the aquatic center is :shock:
Did you go see it?
Maybe. That whole facility is pretty impressive.
flamehunter wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:PH, your BJ skills impress me.
I'll let PH respond to this in a way he sees appropriate, but phrasing is oh so important.
Yeah. I got nothing. :shock:
Purple Haize wrote:
flamehunter wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:PH, your BJ skills impress me.
I'll let PH respond to this in a way he sees appropriate, but phrasing is oh so important.
Yeah. I got nothing. :shock:
I, uh... uh... aherm. I cannot undo what has been done.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]