Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:My only concern with the new AD is can he perform a miracle and improve attendance for most every sport.
I do have other concerns though -
1) How long will it take him to gain the trust and confidence of the student body?
2) How can make sure that he has everything in place to make sure all programs are monitored for Title IX compliancy. He should be over-active here. I think that will help with above.
3) Getting Attendance - but I think this gets fixed by more quality opponents and better quality product on field/court.
4) Coaching - Who will stay, who will be let go. Liberty wants to move up and that won't happen until we are dominant at this level.
5) Fundraising. He has to show that we can bring money in to support upgrades - Online income won't last for ever.
6) FBS Plan. I really would love to see a plan of what we are doing. Is it trying to win first and grab attention that way, or is it truly to keep begging our way in. I would love to spend a decent amount of money on expanding our TV network and putting together a marketing plan that truly shows why we will become the next Notre Dame/BYU/Baylor (Number of Alumni getting added every year, spending, facilities, national TV network, etc...)
7) Will Mickie be given a raise and an even higher position. I hope so;)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think all those you listed "comes with the territory", i.e. job description.

My most immediate concern is getting the 2017 Softball Schedule released, so that I can plan my February trips to Florida.
By Jonathan Carone
Now you're talking the stuff I want to get into. Let's pick it apart question by question:
prototype wrote: 1) How long will it take him to gain the trust and confidence of the student body?
This is going to go a couple different ways. The first is that most in the student body don't give two craps who the AD is. So there's that going for him. The downside is since they don't care, he'll just be known as the guy who covered up the rapes at Baylor. True or not, that's his reputation to the uninformed. If he's in the public eye and can get in front of the students, I think they'll come around. I think it's much more important for the students to have confidence in and support our coaches than the AD though.
prototype wrote:2) How can make sure that he has everything in place to make sure all programs are monitored for Title IX compliancy. He should be over-active here. I think that will help with above.
We've started this already so thankfully it won't be just McCaw doing this. We've seen a crackdown on this type of thing already this fall. The hardest thing he'll have to navigate is the inevitability of more athletes being kicked out of school for Title IX sexual assault charges. Liberty is a school where there's tons of pressure to stay sexually inactive. We've seen it happen too many times where a girl has consensual sex and then feels guilty about it spiritually so she claims it wasn't consensual. In a court of law, that won't hold up. Under Title IX standards, that's sexual assault. Because we have to be overly cautious both because of the current climate and our new AD, we're going to lose athletes regularly.
prototype wrote:3) Getting Attendance - but I think this gets fixed by more quality opponents and better quality product on field/court.
I agree completely here. Our fans are tired of beating up on no-name Big South schools in football. We have to get quality home games there to increase attendance. In men's basketball, as long as we win, the crowd will show up. I think baseball is the same way. Unfortunately women's sports are less attended across the board so I don't know what helps with that.
prototype wrote:4) Coaching - Who will stay, who will be let go. Liberty wants to move up and that won't happen until we are dominant at this level.
This one will definitely be interesting. Jeff had a philosophy that some sports weren't as important as long as they represented us well as a school. Will McCaw accept lesser results in some of those sports like Jeff did or will it be excellence across the board?
prototype wrote:5) Fundraising. He has to show that we can bring money in to support upgrades - Online income won't last for ever.
This one is tough. Jerry has an open disdain for fundraising and donors. He doesn't like the idea of big time donors because donors think their money should give them influence on what we do and he doesn't want to give that influence away. He also wants it known that he's responsible for the support upgrades, not the athletic department. It's why announcements on facility upgrades come from the University, not the athletic department. It's an interesting paradox to watch.
prototype wrote:6) FBS Plan. I really would love to see a plan of what we are doing. Is it trying to win first and grab attention that way, or is it truly to keep begging our way in. I would love to spend a decent amount of money on expanding our TV network and putting together a marketing plan that truly shows why we will become the next Notre Dame/BYU/Baylor (Number of Alumni getting added every year, spending, facilities, national TV network, etc...)
This one is fascinating as well. Our original plan was to go to conferences, show them how much money we had, and try to buy our way in. That method failed. Since then we've cut the LFSN budget drastically and scaled that down quite a bit. What, if anything, can McCaw do that hasn't already been done?
prototype wrote:7) Will Mickie be given a raise and an even higher position. I hope so;)
I hope he wants to and is allowed to stay. He's one of the best we have.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Now you're talking the stuff I want to get into. Let's pick it apart question by question:
prototype wrote: 1) How long will it take him to gain the trust and confidence of the student body?
This is going to go a couple different ways. The first is that most in the student body don't give two craps who the AD is. So there's that going for him. The downside is since they don't care, he'll just be known as the guy who covered up the rapes at Baylor. True or not, that's his reputation to the uninformed. If he's in the public eye and can get in front of the students, I think they'll come around. I think it's much more important for the students to have confidence in and support our coaches than the AD though.
prototype wrote:2) How can make sure that he has everything in place to make sure all programs are monitored for Title IX compliancy. He should be over-active here. I think that will help with above.
We've started this already so thankfully it won't be just McCaw doing this. We've seen a crackdown on this type of thing already this fall. The hardest thing he'll have to navigate is the inevitability of more athletes being kicked out of school for Title IX sexual assault charges. Liberty is a school where there's tons of pressure to stay sexually inactive. We've seen it happen too many times where a girl has consensual sex and then feels guilty about it spiritually so she claims it wasn't consensual. In a court of law, that won't hold up. Under Title IX standards, that's sexual assault. Because we have to be overly cautious both because of the current climate and our new AD, we're going to lose athletes regularly.
prototype wrote:3) Getting Attendance - but I think this gets fixed by more quality opponents and better quality product on field/court.
I agree completely here. Our fans are tired of beating up on no-name Big South schools in football. We have to get quality home games there to increase attendance. In men's basketball, as long as we win, the crowd will show up. I think baseball is the same way. Unfortunately women's sports are less attended across the board so I don't know what helps with that.
prototype wrote:4) Coaching - Who will stay, who will be let go. Liberty wants to move up and that won't happen until we are dominant at this level.
This one will definitely be interesting. Jeff had a philosophy that some sports weren't as important as long as they represented us well as a school. Will McCaw accept lesser results in some of those sports like Jeff did or will it be excellence across the board?
prototype wrote:5) Fundraising. He has to show that we can bring money in to support upgrades - Online income won't last for ever.
This one is tough. Jerry has an open disdain for fundraising and donors. He doesn't like the idea of big time donors because donors think their money should give them influence on what we do and he doesn't want to give that influence away. He also wants it known that he's responsible for the support upgrades, not the athletic department. It's why announcements on facility upgrades come from the University, not the athletic department. It's an interesting paradox to watch.
prototype wrote:6) FBS Plan. I really would love to see a plan of what we are doing. Is it trying to win first and grab attention that way, or is it truly to keep begging our way in. I would love to spend a decent amount of money on expanding our TV network and putting together a marketing plan that truly shows why we will become the next Notre Dame/BYU/Baylor (Number of Alumni getting added every year, spending, facilities, national TV network, etc...)
This one is fascinating as well. Our original plan was to go to conferences, show them how much money we had, and try to buy our way in. That method failed. Since then we've cut the LFSN budget drastically and scaled that down quite a bit. What, if anything, can McCaw do that hasn't already been done?
prototype wrote:7) Will Mickie be given a raise and an even higher position. I hope so;)
I hope he wants to and is allowed to stay. He's one of the best we have.
agree Jon - would be nice to move this conversation to things like this -
#1 - Agree with your remarks
#2 - what a time we live in. This has to start with Education. You engage in activities, you are taking a huge risk to lose your chance at the next level and your chance to get a free education. Maybe even some real life training about how to avoid the bad situations or perception of wrong doing.
#3 - Agree 100%. What you didn't like going to watch Penn Correctional the other night;)
#4 - I hope he see the importance of excellence in all sports. If we move to a FBS conference - they will not want any sports pulling down their RPI.
#5 - I can see what your saying, but I have also seen where money was raised in the past and the University was happy. Hopefully Jerry, Jr. will see it now as - "Hey, I brought the guy in and his wins are our wins..." I have to believe Jerry, jr. would be happy to get some of the Williams types back on board with continued growth. If fundraising is not in McCaw's job description - I would think he would grow board or feel lost, that's been a big part of his success at Baylor.
#6 - I would love for them to start building up LSFN again. I think our pitch now to athletes, as the FCS, level should be - yes, you are playing at a lower level, but our whole concentration will be on getting you great coaching and national exposure. Being on TV in every major market - all the time - plays a big role in that.
#7 - I can't see Mickie leaving. He loves it here and as made a smooth transition with new AD twice already. Guys a star and a very hard worker, who has tons of experience at this level.
Thank You!!

Wonder what the next Building project should be? If any. Will McCaw want to make his mark on the program with a new facility, once Swimming Center is complete? Man, I'm not even sure what would be left, outside a new convention center (smaller) for basketball.
It has to be a new Indoor Athletic and Events Arena. Partly because that's all that's left to build!!
I think it gets done quickly and I hope LU avoids trying to partner with the City to make it a Civic Center. I'm thinking Jerry and Ian are going to want to put something out there that they can point to saying 'See, this is why we got him'. The 2 best options are FBS (bad idea) and a new Indoor Athletic and Events Arena. Ian SHOULD have the connections to come up with the cash for both
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
In his interview Tolsma mentioned that they were building a new outdoor track and field complex next to the indoor complex. Is this the plan? I have not heard that part. That would leave the new the all purpose facility on the Master Plan and a state of the art Soccer Complex.
One of the first decisions McCaw will have to make is on the football schedule next year. If he lightens the load significantly, I would take it as him supporting Gill and giving him extra opportunities to stay. Teaff is a big Gill fan and we know the McCaw/Teaff relationship is there. The flip side is we know Jerry isn't the biggest fan of where the football program is and only kept the current staff in place because of the size of the buyout. A tough year scheduling will make it harder to rack up the wins needed to stay and help justify a coaching change even more.
I wouldn't be surprised either Jon...about the only way he gets fired is if we end up with single digit wins and have one of the worst seasons in program history. Green has coached through what...4 or 5 different ADs at least?
I agree with regarding Green. He'll probably be pushed into retirement.

If we go by McCaw's track record then programs that have been stagnant or heading down hill will be watched(Football, Msoccer, Volleyball, and Womens Basketball) . Wouldn't be shocked to see if one of the following coaches to be let go after a year on his watch. Alder, Pinder, Gill, and Green. Green pushed to retirement.
Track complex being built. I'm torn on this one. I like having the track where it is and with the new academic building - I'm looking how that will look. But it would make sense...
ballah09 wrote:I agree with regarding Green. He'll probably be pushed into retirement.

If we go by McCaw's track record then programs that have been stagnant or heading down hill will be watched(Football, Msoccer, Volleyball, and Womens Basketball) . Wouldn't be shocked to see if one of the following coaches to be let go after a year on his watch. Alder, Pinder, Gill, and Green. Green pushed to retirement.
Our perrenial champion WBB team tied for first place, lost in OT in the tourney final and went to the WNIT last year Considering the size and experience they had you can argue that was a disappointment, but it's certainly not something to get a man "pushed to retirement" any time soon Speaking of that, Green is only 60

I pretty much agree in the other 3 if those programs do not show solid progress this year
The number 1 thing right now that needs fixing is the football team's offense. I am not sure what the problem is:

O line ?
Play calling ?
Scheme used ?

The 4 sports we need to be great in are football, basketball, baseball, softball. We must dominate BSC in these sports.
ballah09 wrote:I agree with regarding Green. He'll probably be pushed into retirement.

IMO, the bell weather will be Men's Soccer. You will not find someone who embodies what LU Athletic coaches should be more than Alder. The guy bleeds LU. I think he arguably has the best program when it comes to Community involvement and outreach. Certainly better than FB, M/W Hoops and baseball. He is liked and respected within the University and coaching circles. His players graduate and while they are in school are model students from what I hear. Attendance is pretty good. Yet, while his teams are competitive, he doesn't have a lot of BSC Championships or other hardware.
WBB is an enigma. Coach Green has more BSC rings than fingers. Probably the most successful coach on the Mountain after Tolsma. He graduates his players, sometimes with multiple degrees. Yet there is little Community involvement, attendance is spotty and only has 2 NCAA Tournament wins, both in the same year, to go along with all those BSC rings

So what will the Standard be? You can make a solid case for firing or retaining either. It will be interesting to see what direction Jerry wants Ian to move the Athletic Department coaching staff
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
completely agree, it will be interesting to see where he wants the athletic dept at. Just listening to Jr in the press conference and interviews, it sounds like he has higher expectations and vision on the sports than some on here so. It would suck letting a guy like Alder go with all you mention but its part of the business which sucks. It will be interesting to see about the WBB program, other Big South schools have caught up to Liberty so I think well see less and less domination like they have done before And Oldflame he hasn't won an WNIT game either, If JR and McCaw have a high vision on athletics like we all expect then getting constantly bounced in the first round won't be acceptable. Then again it might not matter to them
With as much success the women's bball team has had in conference I have always wanted us to take that next step and have some consistent success nationally and it just never happened other then the one sweet 16 run.

For a long time the administration has been happy with big South titles. I will be curious to see if that continues.
Jonathan Carone wrote:Alder is the one that scares me for all the reasons you said. I want that dude a part of our school, but his on field results haven't been great.
You know I always lean towards keeping Coaches but to me Alder stays as long as he wants. If his teams were an embarrassment on the field, then it would have to be a difficult conversation. But a competitive team can always get on a run. The other stuff he does are intangibles that are really difficult to find.
But if they get rid of him, that's a sign the Athletic Department is changing
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I wouldn't be surprised either Jon...about the only way he gets fired is if we end up with single digit wins and have one of the worst seasons in program history. Green has coached through what...4 or 5 different ADs at least?
Green gets a pass even with single digit wins this year They are so young and had such a huge turnover, it would be unrealistic to ask a lot of them this season It's actually pretty remarkable that this is really the first time he has had to "rebuild" in all those years

I think Gill really needs to "show something" to McCaw this season to stay around I'm not sure what that translates to in wins and losses I really think it may have more to do with putting a more exciting product on the field and re-energizing the fan base
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]