Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

LUnpretty11 wrote:
adam42381 wrote:There are tons of things on Amazin that are NSFW.
Trust Adam... he would know!
You ordered it didn't you?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Athletic Department Concerns Moving Forward-

Men's basketball attendance. The vines being a hard place to fill up and make intimidating or fun place to watch a game.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Athletic Department Concerns Moving Forward-

Men's basketball attendance. The vines being a hard place to fill up and make intimidating or fun place to watch a game.
So, a new arena?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That's part of the plan. Academic infrastructure is the primary focus right now and I have zero problem with that mindset. But the new arena is the obvious next major athletci project unless we somehow find a way into FBS.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:

So, a new arena?
I believe Ian is on record as saying he wants to give it a little time to see if we can start drawing more fans to the Vines with a winning team before making any decision whether or not to downsize
ballcoach15 wrote:Lack of attendance is puzzling, despite the W-L record. When I first started attending LU games, the Vines Center had lots of fans.
The dark years caused what little support we see now. The lack of success across LU sports also plays a factor, IMO. Fans want to get excited about seeing exciting play on the field/court. They haven't gotten that for several years. It will come back, slowly, but it will be exciting again soon.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:

So, a new arena?

How about a really nice 2000 seat arena. Just the recruiting tool that we need to draw players. CSU has such a great team because of how small their place is, you know.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Listen - this is one of the most frustrating things that Liberty has to figure out. Not to toot my own horn (because it was a team effort), but when Prototype was in-charge of getting the Vines filled up - we did it. We averaged over 5,000 fans a game and had the students back engaged.

It's NOT about winning!! It's about pride, providing a fun/entertaining atmosphere for free, and creating a connection between players and fans. We worked to make sure students knew that it was game day. We put up posters every home game, we setup in Cafeteria and promoted the game on game days. We gave a lot of stuff away!! We bought a bulk shipment of Game Cubes (which were very popular at the time, and really not expensive) and gave away a few at each game. We tried to make it a more appealing option than Movies 10...

We educated students about who the players are and made opportunities for student s to connect with them. We made sure that we push Jerry and other leaders at convo to push game attendance and what it means to the school.

We concentrated solely on getting students back and guess what - the paying fans started coming, because they liked the atmosphere and watching the crazy students. We educated students the first week of the season on chants and things we could do as fans to get on other team and make it more unison.

I worked for 5 years with the Bullets/Wizards/Caps and Susan O'Malley, who was President while I was there and was amazing, used to always say - we have to create success that transcends wins and loses, because we cannot control that. And while I was there, both teams were always in top 5 in attendance and both teams where under 500, all but one year.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He was speaking of Prototype the company and not the poster. But they are obviously connected.

Marketing college basketball is proving more difficult today than ever before. The more options that students have to indulge themselves, the smaller the size of your core fans who show up every home game.
Yeah, the tooting of the horn threw me off. It's easy to get butts in the seats when Seth Curry is on the floor, which is why I asked about the year(s).

The Charlotte Bobcats were top 10 in the NBA in new season ticket sales (not attendance - don't get it twisted) before going back to the Hornets. You sell hopes and dreams, not wins and losses. However, the NBA is very different from college. NBA/NHL sells entertainment, college sells pride - like Proto pointed out. The tough part is getting students to have pride in a stagnant or losing program. The great thing is McKay has us going in the right direction for basketball, so the basketball environment should get much better over the next year or two.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:What years were you in charge of increasing student attendance?
Wasn't the Curry Era... It was the Dunton Era. 2005-2007.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:He was speaking of Prototype the company and not the poster. But they are obviously connected.

Marketing college basketball is proving more difficult today than ever before. The more options that students have to indulge themselves, the smaller the size of your core fans who show up every home game.
And Liberty has been at the cutting edge of providing a wide range of those options to their students
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:Listen - this is one of the most frustrating things that Liberty has to figure out. Not to toot my own horn (because it was a team effort), but when Prototype was in-charge of getting the Vines filled up - we did it. We averaged over 5,000 fans a game and had the students back engaged.

It's NOT about winning!! It's about pride, providing a fun/entertaining atmosphere for free, and creating a connection between players and fans. We worked to make sure students knew that it was game day. We put up posters every home game, we setup in Cafeteria and promoted the game on game days. We gave a lot of stuff away!! We bought a bulk shipment of Game Cubes (which were very popular at the time, and really not expensive) and gave away a few at each game. We tried to make it a more appealing option than Movies 10...

We educated students about who the players are and made opportunities for student s to connect with them. We made sure that we push Jerry and other leaders at convo to push game attendance and what it means to the school.

We concentrated solely on getting students back and guess what - the paying fans started coming, because they liked the atmosphere and watching the crazy students. We educated students the first week of the season on chants and things we could do as fans to get on other team and make it more unison.

I worked for 5 years with the Bullets/Wizards/Caps and Susan O'Malley, who was President while I was there and was amazing, used to always say - we have to create success that transcends wins and loses, because we cannot control that. And while I was there, both teams were always in top 5 in attendance and both teams where under 500, all but one year.
What years were you working in Washington?
olldflame wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:He was speaking of Prototype the company and not the poster. But they are obviously connected.

And Liberty has been at the cutting edge of providing a wide range of those options to their students
Which is a double edged sword.
The concessions have improved this year:
1. buy one get one free hot dog special
2. hot chocolate for a dollar special
3. honey mustard and bbq sauce to go with the chicken tenders

Now if they could just heat up the cheese on their nachos!
Cider Jim wrote:The concessions have improved this year:
1. buy one get one free hot dog special
2. hot chocolate for a dollar special
3. honey mustard and bbq sauce to go with the chicken tenders

Now if they could just heat up the cheese on their nachos!
How can they still be screwing up the nachos this many years later?!
adam42381 wrote:
prototype wrote:Listen - this is one of the most frustrating things that Liberty has to figure out. Not to toot my own horn (because it was a team effort), but when Prototype was in-charge of getting the Vines filled up - we did it. We averaged over 5,000 fans a game and had the students back engaged.

What years were you working in Washington?
'96 - '01
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]