Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I think I said at one point that Green and Tolsma are in a small group (even smaller with Coach Wetmore being gone) of coaches who can just about name their own end date because of their track record. Tolsma has coached us to 90 Big South team championships Championships, Three IC4A titles, and in 31 years has coached 3 NCAA national champions, been named Big South Coach of the Year an astounding 63 times and even had 11 Academic All-Americans. Coach Green's timeline and results are well documented.

As you your point on Gill...what would be considered "showing something"...7 wins? 8? 9? 10? What would constitute a "more exciting product" in your view?
BJWilliams wrote:I think I said at one point that Green and Tolsma are in a small group (even smaller with Coach Wetmore being gone) of coaches who can just about name their own end date because of their track record. Tolsma has coached us to 90 Big South team championships Championships, Three IC4A titles, and in 31 years has coached 3 NCAA national champions, been named Big South Coach of the Year an astounding 63 times and even had 11 Academic All-Americans. Coach Green's timeline and results are well documented.

As you your point on Gill...what would be considered "showing something"...7 wins? 8? 9? 10? What would constitute a "more exciting product" in your view?
Wetmore didn't get to name his own End Date. But you are correct about Tolsma.
BJWilliams wrote:I think I said at one point that Green and Tolsma are in a small group (even smaller with Coach Wetmore being gone) of coaches who can just about name their own end date because of their track record. Tolsma has coached us to 90 Big South team championships Championships, Three IC4A titles, and in 31 years has coached 3 NCAA national champions, been named Big South Coach of the Year an astounding 63 times and even had 11 Academic All-Americans. Coach Green's timeline and results are well documented.

It would help to actually READ the post you are responding to BJ I stated "I DON"T KNOW what that will translate to in wins and losses" I WOULD go so far as to say another 6-5 season will surely not cut it, but the win\loss record will depend at least to some degree on the schedule

I agree the part about a more exciting product is not specific, because there are a lot of different things that could lead to that We play boring, unimaginative football, and IMHO that needs to change More of the same won't cut it There is certainly a lot of evidence that being creative and unpredictable is not only more entertaining, but can also lead to more success as long as it is not at the expense of fundamentals and execution
OK here is something specific BJ

Frank Stamn was, for the most part, a very conservative play caller, but in 2015 we occasionally fooled somebody, most notably Damian King's 2 passes for 2 touchdowns from the slotback position We didn't get a sniff of anything like that in Daley's offense Yes, King was either injured or in the dog house much of the year, but there were certainly opportunities to do something We never tried

Not saying we should go hog wild with trickeration, but we were WAY too predictable

LOL at Wetmore. Only coach that is nearly untouchable under the new athletic regime is Tolsma. Everyone else is vulnerable.
ballah09 wrote:

LOL at Wetmore. Only coach that is nearly untouchable under the new athletic regime is Tolsma. Everyone else is vulnerable.
Not sure what you mean by "vulnerable", but there are several more coaches who IMHO would need to have more than one really bad year before being at risk

Carey Green WBB
Ritchie McKay MBB
Scott Jackson Baseball
Jodi Murphy Field Hockey
Nate Norman Women's Soccer
Jake Schellenberger Swimming
Jeff Thomas Golf

Gill, Pinder, Albers and Dot Richardson need to step it up a notch ASAP
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I disagree when McCaw evaluates the current teams at Liberty and their recent performances he's probably going to fix the teams that have been trending backwards or constantly been mediocre. Gill, Green, Alder, Pinder and Nagle. and yes I firmly believe Green is going to have a short lease under the new AD. Being bounced regularly in the NCAA and WNIT and a lack of p5 wins recently it wont cut it for him.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:I disagree when McCaw evaluates the current teams at Liberty and their recent performances he's probably going to fix the teams that have been trending backwards or constantly been mediocre. Gill, Green, Alder, Pinder and Nagle. and yes I firmly believe Green is going to have a short lease under the new AD. Being bounced regularly in the NCAA and WNIT and a lack of p5 wins recently it wont cut it for him.
He's not ignorant to the fact that we play in the Big South, not the Big 12 A GREAT year in WBB means a 13 or 14 seed and facing a 3 or 4 As top heavy as D1 WBB is those are long odds We caught lightning in a bottle with Katie coming here, and I suppose it could happen again, but I don't believe a reasonable AD will expect to see sweet 16 runs on a regular basis with our current conference affiliation
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ballah09 wrote:I disagree when McCaw evaluates the current teams at Liberty and their recent performances he's probably going to fix the teams that have been trending backwards or constantly been mediocre. Gill, Green, Alder, Pinder and Nagle. and yes I firmly believe Green is going to have a short lease under the new AD. Being bounced regularly in the NCAA and WNIT and a lack of p5 wins recently it wont cut it for him.
He's not ignorant to the fact that we play in the Big South, not the Big 12 A GREAT year in WBB means a 13 or 14 seed and facing a 3 or 4 As top heavy as D1 WBB is those are long odds We caught lightning in a bottle with Katie coming here, and I suppose it could happen again, but I don't believe a reasonable AD will expect to see sweet 16 runs on a regular basis with our current conference affiliation
13 seeds can beat 4 seeds The ACC and Big 10 are great Women's BB conferences. There are plenty of teams in bad Conferences who do well
you're right about that there isn't parity in WBB and with the conference like the Big south it will never be seeded high but look at programs like James Madison and UWGB its not out of reach of expecting more from Green. Constantly challenging p5 schools and getting higher seeds that can position your self with a run
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:
13 seeds can beat 4 seeds The ACC and Big 10 are great Women's BB conferences. There are plenty of teams in bad Conferences who do well
You are spot on that 13 is the absolute lowest seed that has a legit shot 14-16 seeds winning are almost unheard of We were a 13 seed in 2005 We had a 12 seed another year, but got jobbed in having to play an ODU team that should have been higher than a 5 Otherwise we have always been 14, 15 or 16
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:And why is LU always ranked a 14-16 seed?
The same reason virtually every team from conferences the level of the BSC is You can obviously help yourself by winning some out of conference games against good opponents, which is what we did the year we got a 12 seed Green does a pretty good job with scheduling OOC and we have played some of those good teams tough over the years, but that really doesn't help We haven't won enough of them
olldflame wrote:
The same reason virtually every team from conferences the level of the BSC is You can obviously help yourself by winning some out of conference games against good opponents, which is what we did the year we got a 12 seed Green does a pretty good job with scheduling OOC and we have played some of those good teams tough over the years, but that really doesn't help We haven't won ANY of them
FIFY
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:
The same reason virtually every team from conferences the level of the BSC is You can obviously help yourself by winning some out of conference games against good opponents, which is what we did the year we got a 12 seed Green does a pretty good job with scheduling OOC and we have played some of those good teams tough over the years, but that really doesn't help We haven't won ANY of them
FIFY
Not quite We beat Penn State in 2014 Almost beat NC State that year too
The wins that helped us get the 12 seed in 2008 came early against Xavier, Houston, UNLV and JMU Not powerhouses, but they had good teams that year Our only OOC losses that year were to VT and UNC

Carey definately schedules OOC teams with seeding in mind, but the Ws have been hard to come by
VERY disappointed that we chose to keep Gill for another year. He hasn't done anything to warrant another year. Great person but a mediocre coach at best. 100% for the change at AD, but should have made the football change at the same time. IMVVVHO. Don't see a glaring change needed anywhere else right now, however upgrades are always welcomed.
flameshaw wrote:VERY disappointed that we chose to keep Gill for another year. He hasn't done anything to warrant another year. Great person but a mediocre coach at best. 100% for the change at AD, but should have made the football change at the same time. IMVVVHO. Don't see a glaring change needed anywhere else right now, however upgrades are always welcomed.
I think it was totally financially motivated. Would've been like a $2 million per year buyout for that entire staff.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
flameshaw wrote:VERY disappointed that we chose to keep Gill for another year. He hasn't done anything to warrant another year. Great person but a mediocre coach at best. 100% for the change at AD, but should have made the football change at the same time. IMVVVHO. Don't see a glaring change needed anywhere else right now, however upgrades are always welcomed.
I think it was totally financially motivated. Would've been like a $2 million per year buyout for that entire staff.
And Art Briles will STILL be available next year
LUconn wrote:My biggest concern going forward: is Ian McCaw the man who can get us a military jet pregame flyover?
Well Jerry has the cell phone number to the new Commander in Chief!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
With all due respect, a BLIMP would be nice, too. :wink:
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]