Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By willflop
Purple Haize wrote: Well if you think Baylor was up to snuff on their Title IX office, I don't know what to tell you.
That response is befuddling and equivocal.
By willflop
rmiller1959 wrote:An interesting article in the Washington Post on the McCaw hire:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... 5156c79c94

If you interpret the sequence of events as I did, they've been eyeing this man since the Baylor situation broke and began their due diligence at that time, to include hiring an outside law firm in much the same manner as Baylor hired Pepper Hamilton for their investigation. The length of time they've been working on this, and the fact it wasn't just the university's internal leadership or staff doing the vetting, eases my mind a bit.

The article is actually a good insight into the mind of the front office. It's almost as if they were waiting for a valued stock to drop in price before buying it, anticipating that it would eventually deliver a significant return on their investment.

I'd love to hear what others think after reading the article. It's quite captivating and well written.
Thanks for posting, that was interesting. Definitely blew the lid on the idea that the vetting took place over Thanksgiving. I found this part intriguing as well, as it's how im naturally starting to respond after having read about the issue...be specific
“I would say to anybody who’s charging him,” Smith said, “who’s accusing him of being anything other than an honorable man . . .”

Falwell chimed in, speaking between breaks in Smith’s words.

“Nothing,” he said. “Show us.”

“Tell me one sanction,” Smith continued, “tell me one charge. . .”

“Show us what he did,” Falwell said.

“One anything.”

“And they can’t,” Falwell said.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote:An interesting article in the Washington Post on the McCaw hire:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... 5156c79c94

If you interpret the sequence of events as I did, they've been eyeing this man since the Baylor situation broke and began their due diligence at that time, to include hiring an outside law firm in much the same manner as Baylor hired Pepper Hamilton for their investigation. The length of time they've been working on this, and the fact it wasn't just the university's internal leadership or staff doing the vetting, eases my mind a bit.

The article is actually a good insight into the mind of the front office. It's almost as if they were waiting for a valued stock to drop in price before buying it, anticipating that it would eventually deliver a significant return on their investment.

I'd love to hear what others think after reading the article. It's quite captivating and well written.
Pretty balanced article which is surprising coming from WaPo!
A couple of things did stick out. On the AD hire Junior said they didn't even consider anyone until Barber resigned/retired and said he was made aware of McCaw after they brought in the guy (whose name escapes me) who used to coach at Baylor to help search. Those are 2 very different stories.
The article is spot on, this is Junior's University now. He can do as he pleases. His dad could get away with a lot of stuff because he had outstanding people skills. I think McCaw does as well. You don't raise that much money with out them. McCaw will be here long enough to rehab his image and then bolt. That's a win win for what he wants and what Junior's vision is for the school
He also seemed to fall into the same trap he urged others NOT to fall into. What does his PERSONAL endorsement of Trump have to do with the UNIVERSITY hiring McCaw? He reminded everyone again and again that LU was not endorsing a Candidate. He was just expressing his opinion as a private citizen who happens to be in charge of Liberty University. I have no problem with that, and was in the minority here. The decision to hire a leader at Liberty is a bit different. Not sure why he is confusing the two...
Junior is in good Defense Attorney mode He knows that no one can say anything because of the Federal investigation. He's doing a great job of running interference for .McCaw, which is exactly what I'd do in his spot too.
Finally, if he did nothing wrong, why all this talk of forgiveness? And if he is in need of forgiveness what exactly is he hoping to be forgiven of?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:This article reinforced every good and bad perception anyone could have of Jr and Randy Smith.
I had a Dr Evil and #2 thing in my head reading their back and forth. Ha
By willflop
Now that Briles is sueing 3 specific regeants, and Ramsover, things keep getting more interesting. On first glance, this is another point for the BOR conspiracy theory. Why sue if you think you'll lose?
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: Pretty balanced article which is surprising coming from WaPo!
Say what you want to say about their political writing, but their sports staff is the best in the country and it's not even close. Kent Babb is a serious pro. I felt like I was in the room with Jr and Smith when I read that piece. It was that well written.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:
Purple Haize wrote: Pretty balanced article which is surprising coming from WaPo!
Say what you want to say about their political writing, but their sports staff is the best in the country and it's not even close. Kent Babb is a serious pro. I felt like I was in the room with Jr and Smith when I read that piece. It was that well written.
Funny you say that. I felt the same way about being in the room. Same with being in the Vines . Much better than the earlier posted piece from another paper that couldn't resist throwing barb after barb at LU's Worldview. I also liked that it left it open ended. As they said on In Living Color 'I give it 2 snaps with a twist!'
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
This is the same paper that gave us Tony Kornheiser I think...if that's the case then of course its going to be the best. (even if not I would certainly agree with your assessments)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:This is the same paper that gave us Tony Kornheiser I think...if that's the case then of course its going to be the best. (even if not I would certainly agree with your assessments)
#mancrush
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Kornheiser annoys the crap out of me.
He is my 2nd favorite regular host on PTI
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:Very few remember Kornheiser the writer. He's turned into such a radio/TV personality. When he had his fastball in the 80s/early 90s, he was excellent.
Now he's worse than Eddie Harris!
By Jonathan Carone
These two pieces stood out to me:
"Many student-athletes disagree with Jerry's decision to force [former athletic director] Jeff Barber to resign and hire Ian McCaw, but we are afraid to speak up because we fear we will lose our athletic scholarship and no longer be allowed to play our sport here," said another current Liberty athlete, who also asked to remain anonymous.
McCaw isn't the only ex-Baylor official at Liberty. Former Baylor Title IX investigator Ian McRary, who left that post in January, was named associate general counsel for Liberty in February.
By WinterIsComing
Registration Days Posts
There was also this winner:
One Liberty student said the administration uses the following rationale to sell McCaw: Good Christians believe in repentance, and McCaw deserves a second chance. That stance is then twisted to frame any stand against McCaw and Falwell as an immoral act, the student said.

"It's manipulative -- it's abusive, honestly -- and I'm surprised by the number of students that have fallen into that mindset here as well," the student said.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
WinterIsComing wrote:There was also this winner:
One Liberty student said the administration uses the following rationale to sell McCaw: Good Christians believe in repentance, and McCaw deserves a second chance. That stance is then twisted to frame any stand against McCaw and Falwell as an immoral act, the student said.

"It's manipulative -- it's abusive, honestly -- and I'm surprised by the number of students that have fallen into that mindset here as well," the student said.
It goes back to what I said earlier. If he did nothing wrong, why does he need repentance? And if he needs repentance, what did he do that would need repentance?
(I don't like that word here but I'm using it. Ha)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:I don't see the administration pushing repentence/forgiveness in this case, not sure where the student is getting that.
Agreed Read Babb's WaPo article and you have Jerry and Randy Smith stepping on each other to say there is nothing there as far as wrongdoing on McCaw's part The stuff about forgiveness is all coming from random students and fans

I believe Ian used the term a time or 2 but it is a very long stretch to look at that as any kind of admission of guilt It was more a feeling he had about the general nature of the people at Liberty
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
willflop wrote:I don't see the administration pushing repentence/forgiveness in this case, not sure where the student is getting that.
Agreed Read Babb's WaPo article and you have Jerry and Randy Smith stepping on each other to say there is nothing there as far as wrongdoing on McCaw's part The stuff about forgiveness is all coming from random students and fans

I believe Ian used the term a time or 2 but it is a very long stretch to look at that as any kind of admission of guilt It was more a feeling he had about the general nature of the people at Liberty
Both LU and Baylor have a stake in 'putting this behind them and/or move forward. After Christmas no one will be talking about this until the Federal Investigation is completed
By cruzan_flame13
Hello Everyone! I'm new here in the forum but I really caught up to speed with every response. This is a pure example of when people put emotions in front of critical thinking. Whenever this involves rape of a woman or children, most people just jump to conclusions. They don't care about due process or anything. I've seen this during my time at liberty ('09-'13) and it seem to have gotten worse. Just like some one stated before of how people intermingled this situation of Baylor/McCaw and JFJR's personal vow to President elect Trump. Why are people making this a political issue? To be honest, the student body at Liberty seem a bit soft and the school spirit is quite mediocre. I'm not going to pretend that I was hardcore, however looking back I wish I was a bit more engaged. I do hope that the Lord can use McCaw just as he was sufficient at Baylor. The reason so is because sports is a great way to reach people to Christ. If people can see powerful elite type teams plus good sportsmanship and prayer before games then after prayer with both teams; it will start getting peoples attention. That can lead students, city/regional residence and opponent players, etc. why do Liberty do what they do. That's when the Good News can be shared. Any who, I just wanted to drop in to say hello but also to expose myself to other alumni's and/or LU supporters. I've been praying about this for awhile and I believe that this can be a big impact on the school, city, region, country and the world. Even those who criticize the huge impact of the school, department and programs will have to give credit since it can't be hidden!

P.S. Purplehaze is a character! :lol:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Hello Everyone! I'm new here in the forum
:welcome
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Hello Everyone! I'm new here in the forum but I really caught up to speed with every response. This is a pure example of when people put emotions in front of critical thinking. Whenever this involves rape of a woman or children, most people just jump to conclusions. They don't care about due process or anything. I've seen this during my time at liberty ('09-'13) and it seem to have gotten worse. Just like some one stated before of how people intermingled this situation of Baylor/McCaw and JFJR's personal vow to President elect Trump. Why are people making this a political issue? To be honest, the student body at Liberty seem a bit soft and the school spirit is quite mediocre. I'm not going to pretend that I was hardcore, however looking back I wish I was a bit more engaged. I do hope that the Lord can use McCaw just as he was sufficient at Baylor. The reason so is because sports is a great way to reach people to Christ. If people can see powerful elite type teams plus good sportsmanship and prayer before games then after prayer with both teams; it will start getting peoples attention. That can lead students, city/regional residence and opponent players, etc. why do Liberty do what they do. That's when the Good News can be shared. Any who, I just wanted to drop in to say hello but also to expose myself to other alumni's and/or LU supporters. I've been praying about this for awhile and I believe that this can be a big impact on the school, city, region, country and the world. Even those who criticize the huge impact of the school, department and programs will have to give credit since it can't be hidden!

P.S. Purplehaze is a character! :lol:
You might want to be careful who you expose yourself to. There are some real shady characters here :welcome
FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. That's[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

If Cleveland isn't in gym everyday working on addi[…]

This right here. You think most of the out[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]