Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By R i
Registration Days Posts
I was really surprised to hear OTL interview , and to hear her say she thought that Ian was between a rock and hard place. Maybe the only thing he did wrong was not take a stand, and he possibly was not in a position to take a stand. This is the first time I have felt confident that IM is almost blameless for what happened in Waco.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:I was really surprised to hear OTL interview , and to hear her say she thought that Ian was between a rock and hard place. Maybe the only thing he did wrong was not take a stand, and he possibly was not in a position to take a stand. This is the first time I have felt confident that IM is almost blameless for what happened in Waco.
Not taking a stand is not the same as being blameless.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:Almost is such a damning word.

PH - Am I allowed to say that?
You're asking me? You can say whatever the #!@& you want! (Want to see what the censors say)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:I should have said incriminating. I didn't have a thesaurus to assist me in search of an alternative word.
Either way.
But in NONE of those scenarios outlined does it sound like a ringing endorsement
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts

And that's just the football team. Baylor's former Title IX coordinator Patty Crawford, who was in charge of investigating all reports of sexual violence at the university, cited 125 reports of sexual assault and harassment from 2011-2015. Crawford, who came from Indiana University and had no previous connection to Baylor, described a culture of indifference at the Waco, Texas, school when it came to reports of sexual violence by its coeds.

Crawford resigned last fall, accusing the university of interfering with her ability to do her job.
I wonder if McCaw directly interfered. Also, is the text about "keeping it quiet," a confirmed fact, as this article claims Baylor publicly released that text message from McCaw.
By gerb
Baylor's board of regents said Briles' program was "a black hole into which reports of misconduct such as drug use, physical assault, domestic violence, brandishing of guns, indecent exposure and academic fraud disappeared."

Briles broke down in tears when interviewed by the board, acknowledging he made mistakes. He, Starr and other officials were fired.

As athletic director, McCaw clearly bears some responsibility. It happened on his watch.

But it’s not clear, as some have charged, that he failed to report sexual assaults to proper authorities. Liberty officials investigated and said they determined that a 2012 rape McCaw was accused of not reporting was passed on to Baylor authorities, but at the request of the victim, not reported to the police.

It is significant that following an investigation by a law firm, the regents censured McCaw but did not fire him. He resigned in May, saying he left "to promote the unity, healing and restoration that must occur in order to move forward."
Since Liberty hired McCaw, I’ve spoken to half a dozen athletic officials at other schools who say they know him well. They say he’s a decent man with a powerful intellect and a good heart. They can't imagine him condoning or trying to cover up a sexual assault.

Thomas Brandt, his attorney, recently told the Waco Tribune-Herald that McCaw will be exonerated.

"When the full truth is revealed, it will show that Ian McCaw was not negligent," he said. "Many people will be surprised when they learn the full truth about the situation.”
http://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist ... 5038b.html
By R i
Registration Days Posts
New Title IX Lawsuit filed against Baylor yesterday, Volleyball player claims to have been gang raped by 8 football players. The Plaintiff states there is a 21 second video of two girls getting raped, and the lawsuit also claims that Art Briles and Ian Mccaw were made aware of the incidents.
R i wrote:New Title IX Lawsuit filed against Baylor yesterday, Volleyball player claims to have been gang raped by 8 football players. The Plaintiff states there is a 21 second video of two girls getting raped, and the lawsuit also claims that Art Briles and Ian Mccaw were made aware of the incidents.
Is this the same VB player that took it to their coach, then to IM, who told the coach to report it, then the coach did not?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is my understanding. It was an assistant football coach who is at the heart of the criminal and Title IX investigations. The aspect of the story that is most concerning is that the lawsuit indicates this was part of a systemic freshmen hazing process to bring in victims. It makes the stomach turn. Once again, the finger is not being pointed at McCaw but the football program and the university's Title IX disaster. But it is horrific on multiple levels.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
But he was leading the department. Like it or not.

I'm not going to argue because it was discussed so much when the initial hire was made and people can't discuss it on here without getting too emotionally charged.
thepostman wrote:But he was leading the department. Like it or not.

I'm not going to argue because it was discussed so much when the initial hire was made and people can't discuss it on here without getting too emotionally charged.
It's been a conundrum in my head for years. The military does the same thing. No matter how far reaching the cancer, EVERYTHING even the head is taken out. I never felt that it was fair or just, only effective.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Volleyball player did not go to police over the rape, instead she went to her coach. The coach went to Ian, and Ian told the coach to report what he was told to the Judicial Affairs committee. It never got reported to the Judicial Affairs committee.

If that is how it happened, I would say Ian's only fault was not pursuing the reporting. It appears there was tremendous pressure coming mainly from Briles, but also some of the regents, to avoid reporting anything damaging to the football program. Baylor has a long track record, long before Ian arrived of massive cover ups, even of players deaths.

Baylor has been trying to settle out of court for several months said one article.
R i wrote:Volleyball player did not go to police over the rape, instead she went to her coach. The coach went to Ian, and Ian told the coach to report what he was told to the Judicial Affairs committee. It never got reported to the Judicial Affairs committee.

If that is how it happened, I would say Ian's only fault was not pursuing the reporting. It appears there was tremendous pressure coming mainly from Briles, but also some of the regents, to avoid reporting anything damaging to the football program. Baylor has a long track record, long before Ian arrived of massive cover ups, even of players deaths.

Baylor has been trying to settle out of court for several months said one article.
That has been exactly my understanding of the situation. Frankly, the Title IX department there has always been in shambles. It seems that IM followed BU's rules to the letter and didn't go any further. It saddens me that it didn't bother him in a way the convicted him to follow up and see it through, however my sad feelings aren't worthy of criminal negligence.

I hope IM has proof of his instruction to the VB Coach to report it.

I am thankful LU has a more than compliant Title IX office. If IM only follows to the letter at LU, we will still be safe.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
So out of curiosity. If somebody you knew was saying she was gang raped you would depend on someone else to report it?

I get being unclear on what title IX rules are because I have read up on title IX and I don't understand it myself, but when it is something like gang rape it just seems like common sense you would follow up on that to make sure it was reported.

This isn't some 18 year old kid confused if he/she should talk. This is a grown man in charge of an athletic dept.
R i wrote:Volleyball player did not go to police over the rape, instead she went to her coach. The coach went to Ian, and Ian told the coach to report what he was told to the Judicial Affairs committee. It never got reported to the Judicial Affairs committee.

No offense but that's a pretty big oversight. I think Ian is a tremendous AD on the business side. But if that is what happened, and that seems like what did occur, it's a huge failure in leadership and empathy
ballcoach15 wrote:Should have been reported to Police.

If a woman attacks me at the softball game today, I will not notify the AD, I will notify the PD.
But the student didn't want police involvement. Many rape victims just want medical and mental help after the fact. They view the criminal justice path as forcing them to relive it over and over through every trial, testimony, and appeal.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]