Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
First off, we could not be in better hands than what we have right now with Mickey steering the ship on an interim basis. Any hire that walks in and sees how valuable he is to the institution would be foolish to not keep him on staff. But I think we all expect this high profile position to go to an outsider.

There are typically three potential courses of action that Division I universities consider when searching AD candidates. They can either follow one of these paths:
  • 1. Internal Candidates - Typically a longstanding member of the Athletic Department adept at managing relationships inside the university as well as outside stakeholders.
    2. Up-and-Coming Candidates - This could either be succesful ADs at lower levels of competition or Associate/Assistant ADs at major institutions. Jeff was in this category when we hired him.
    3. High Profile Celebrity Candidates - We are obviously familiar with out past of going down this route int he coaching ranks. LU has not typically pursued this path with ADs. These are often former football or basketball coaches whose name would be considered distinguished among donors and the coaching ranks from which he'll be making hires.
I would suspect that our short list has names from both the 2nd & 3rd categories. Several names brought up in the coaching search thread would actually be viable AD candidates with the exception of Tebow. But as crazy as it might seem, even he might be a nice figurehead backed by somebody working the day-to-day operations like Mickey.

While Jeff was blessed with resources beyond anyone's imaginations when he was hired, we owe him a huge great of gratitude for pulling off all of these facility upgrades. That has been a massive undertaking that any candidates will view with astonishment when they take the tour of campus.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I don't have enough knowledge about AD's to really contribute much to this topic.

With that said, I can't think of a reason to give the job to anyone but Mickey Guidry. He is incredibly qualified, and one of the nicest and most professional individuals I met during my time at Liberty. Even when I come back from games, I still get a "Hi, CJ." He would be a great representative of the school and he's capable of leading us where we want to go.

If for whatever reason we go with an outside hire, I'd be interested in Steve Moniaci from Houston Baptist. Also, Drew Watson from Southeastern University.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Our current Interim AD has no shot and probably no desire to be the AD

Jerry will hire a firm and LU will get someone with a great resume
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jerry has sought and received significant counsel on this move and new hire for a while now. Make no mistake, this will not be a new hire decision made by one person, far from it. :roll:
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Man that is such a veiled comment that can be taken so many ways. A day and a half later i still dont like the move. Jb was all in and thats hard to find at our level. I genuinely believe this was a destination for jb and not just a stop and i think that will be incredibly difficult to replicate. i guess i assumed he was a lifer.

Now that hes gone. Who officially told rocco to leave jb or jr or both?
By Jonathan Carone
flameshaw wrote:Jerry has sought and received significant counsel on this move and new hire for a while now. Make no mistake, this will not be a new hire decision made by one person, far from it. :roll:
Do you know if he's using a search firm or just his connections?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Jerry has sought and received significant counsel on this move and new hire for a while now. Make no mistake, this will not be a new hire decision made by one person, far from it. :roll:
Do you know if he's using a search firm or just his connections?
Search firm
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Steve Potts at Pepperdine. Actually met him one time at G-W when he was AD at Lipscomb back in our A-Sun days. Class act. If he is interested in moving back east, LU could match the $$$.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
g-webb1994 wrote:Steve Potts at Pepperdine. Actually met him one time at G-W when he was AD at Lipscomb back in our A-Sun days. Class act. If he is interested in moving back east, LU could match the $$$.
That's a solid name. He could go from a Wave to a Flame!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Wvflame2013 wrote:Here's a name Randy Dutton.
If memory serves correctly, he was an AD at a community college (seriously).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Wvflame2013 wrote:Here's a name Randy Dutton.
If memory serves correctly, he was an AD at a community college (seriously).
Yes he was. They may just now be recovering financially
By Jonathan Carone
Wvflame2013 wrote:Here's a name Randy Dutton. He at least knows what not to do with programs and hopefully learned from mistakes.

Jeff Meyer.
All other things aside (and there are tons of things), I don't want a guy who was openly gloating about Jeff losing his job.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I wonder about the influence of some recently retired folks who have made appearances at Liberty in the past couple of years. I suspect some of them might do some stumping for their friends and colleagues.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Sly's favorite hobby is saying everything and nothing at the same time.
I wouldn't say it is my favoriite. But it likely makes my Top 5.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Homer Drew. Former coach at Valpo. Met him a few weeks ago at Vandy visiting with his son Bryce. Not sure he has an official capacity with Vandy now but he was hosting a bunch of boosters/ex players from 1964 team when I was there.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]