Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Many have shared their perspective from "sources" so I might as well. I live in Lynchburg and my company has some long-standing, collaborative ties with LU and we hear our share of information but a lot is also just gossip. That being said, I have been told Jr. realizes that online ed is now a commodity, and to continue to thrive, LU must continue to grow as a brick and mortar university, with a goal of 25,000 students by 2020. That of course would necessitate large scale growth of on-campus housing at a minimum. There have not only been spending reductions in many areas but layoffs as well. The goose that has lays the golden eggs may be changing production levels.

If true, I can't image the gridlock on Wards Rd with another 10,000 students in town! :shock:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I haven't heard those growth goals, but it's an open secret (that none date mention) that enrollment numbers for LUO have dropped off.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We knew LUO numbers would dip eventually as the majors got into the game. But we are still well-positioned based on our head start. Our numbers haven't dipped anywhere near as significantly as the for-profits.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:We knew LUO numbers would dip eventually as the majors got into the game. But we are still well-positioned based on our head start. Our numbers haven't dipped anywhere near as significantly as the for-profits.
For Profits are getting hammered and I think 1 or 2 closed.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The for profits have been the biggest scams going and the government is finally realizing it. I would hope we wouldn't try to compare ourselves to schools like that.

But great spin, as always, sly.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:We knew LUO numbers would dip eventually as the majors got into the game. But we are still well-positioned based on our head start. Our numbers haven't dipped anywhere near as significantly as the for-profits.
I remember a discussion about this several years ago; I argued that this was more of a short term windfall rather than something that will define LU in the future and several disagreed vehemently. It was only a matter of time and people in Ed. recognize that it is going to be a significant part of our future. SBC folks always mocked the online programs when I first started six years ago. We just hired a technologist from LU and are planning several online options for next year.
By Letsgoflames
R i wrote:How much of this was not winning with huge salaries ? vs.
How much of this was the sexual assault cases , and the athletics department not necessarily supporting the school in those decisions ?

Did Jerry just make a masterful stroke that could set our athletics in a great new direction of winning , and ensure we operated with integrity and followed the schools mission ? vs.
Was this personal and will Jerry Jr micromanage athletics like his father , and want all the credit for success?

I came into LU around the same time as LUADJEFF, I am thankful for all that he did for LU to make our athletics legit, but I also think the JFLJR deserves LU fan base and Alumni's support. When it comes to the ancillary stuff and antics on twitter, I can see your frustration. When it comes to making decisions for the University's future, he has made what seems to be every correct step thus far, and I am going to have faith he did with this decision as well.
What has JB done? JLFJr has funded everything. JB made poor hires, over paid, lost the community support, failed on FBS move, stiffarmed alumni & his impact left FB & MBB with major setbacks. :shock:
By Letsgoflames
ballcoach15 wrote:JB has done nothing to hurt LU. Only bad move he made, was corrected, in men's basketball.
JLFjr has given LU Athletics the one number salaries & facilities in FCS. JB did not get it done! Can't beat CSU in last three years. Bye on to the next. LU deserves much better for the investment. Maybe JB can run the intramural program where winning is not important.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Letsgoflames wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:JB has done nothing to hurt LU. Only bad move he made, was corrected, in men's basketball.
JLFjr has given LU Athletics the one number salaries & facilities in FCS. JB did not get it done! Can't beat CSU in last three years. Bye on to the next. LU deserves much better for the investment. Maybe JB can run the intramural program where winning is not important.
You sound like you have some serious experience in the armchair coaching category. Really,What do you know? I am an alumni, and it was my interactions with Jeff that led me to contribute a decent amount over the last 7 years. It is the actions of the Administration that led me to discontinue my support this year. Think about this: JB was put in a position to lead or programs to a higher level, but from what I've seen, it has been someone else's sound bites and actions that have made other potential partners turn away. You can't put blame on him for the lack of interest shown by FBS conferences (well, apparently you can, but...).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:Question for you LetsGoFlames...do you plan on firing Gill too?
Do the IP addresses check out?
The typos are disconcerting
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:When is Texas going to realize they aren't a college football power? That's the real question.
A bit confused about thread to which you are responding, Postie?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:When is Texas going to realize they aren't a college football power? That's the real question.
Never, because they can't see past their inflated egos.

Now back on topic...
By Wvflame2013
ATrain wrote:
Never, because they can't see past their inflated egos.

Now back on topic...
Their texas sized egos.

Now back to topic.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
wanted to say Thanks to Jeff for everything he did.

and I'll miss all the photo updates of the facility construction.

he was good for that too

hope somebody else runs with that now. Shellenberger I'm lookin at you.
By Jonathan Carone
Rumor has it Jerry already has his guy. He's going to wait a couple weeks to announce it though so it doesn't look like he was looking for the new guy before we fired the old guy.
By Jonathan Carone
Also, Grant Teaff is involved in some way. I don't know if it's advisor, search leader, candidate, or what.

The good news: he was the executive chair of AFCA.

The bad news: he's also the grandfather of one of our current football coaches.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

At what point in history was the ACC ever any bett[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

With all due respect, Atrain was in Dallas in his […]

LaTech

I also keep tab with JMU because there is a player[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]