Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:Donald Trump Jr?
Maybe Condoleezza Rice. I would be so okay with that. It won't ever happen, but it would be a match made in heaven. She would likely not be a voter for the CFP anymore, but I'd be okay with that.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Also, Grant Teaff is involved in some way. I don't know if it's advisor, search leader, candidate, or what.

The good news: he was the executive chair of AFCA.

The bad news: he's also the grandfather of one of our current football coaches.
I got it figured out.

Teaff as AD

Briles as HC

Baylor2.0
By Baldspot1
I don't know this plays into anything that's been done here but for about a year the school has had a consultant advising us on how to move up. I forget the guys name but he ran the Final Four tournament before retiring. I don't think it's a secret, because I know about it, but my apologies if it is.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Baldspot1 wrote:I don't know this plays into anything that's been done here but for about a year the school has had a consultant advising us on how to move up. I forget the guys name but he ran the Final Four tournament before retiring. I don't think it's a secret, because I know about it, but my apologies if it is.
The school spends more on Consultants than anything else except buildings. And then it's probably close
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I would not blame the AD for a single loss on the football field. It was not his fault that we had a bad game plan vs. Charleston Southern, or "did not come to play". That one game ruined LU's season in my opinion. If we had won, we would be playoff bound.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Also, Grant Teaff is involved in some way. I don't know if it's advisor, search leader, candidate, or what.

The good news: he was the executive chair of AFCA.

The bad news: he's also the grandfather of one of our current football coaches.
Grant Teaff is 83 years old I think it is safe to say any role he has in this is short term adviser stuff
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Example of cutting back: marketing has four full time staffers along with GAs and interns and they're not producing much more than we did 5-7 years ago with one staffer and GAs/interns.
Surprised nobody challenged you on this, but I just caught it. This is a very slighted and misguided blanket statement. Yes, you did a lot for the marketing department when it was a couple people in a closet and I applaud you for it. There is actually a marketing/sales staff now and the work they are accomplishing wasn't even a conceived possible thought 5 years ago. There are not many FBS schools with a staff like this, let alone FCS. To try and undermine what they are doing and have done is not right. To imply we should "scale back" the department is nearsighted.
Rant over.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Example of cutting back: marketing has four full time staffers along with GAs and interns and they're not producing much more than we did 5-7 years ago with one staffer and GAs/interns.
Surprised nobody challenged you on this, but I just caught it. This is a very slighted and misguided blanket statement. Yes, you did a lot for the marketing department when it was a couple people in a closet and I applaud you for it. There is actually a marketing/sales staff now and the work they are accomplishing wasn't even a conceived possible thought 5 years ago. There are not many FBS schools with a staff like this, let alone FCS. To try and undermine what they are doing and have done is not right. To imply we should "scale back" the department is nearsighted.
Rant over.
Never underestimate the penchant for LU to undermine success
By Jonathan Carone
There are not many P5 schools with a staff like that and they aren't getting P5 results. That's exactly why we shouldn't be funding it that way. No matter how good the sales staff is, when you're in the Big South playing FCS football, you have a ceiling that is lower than what we are paying for right now. That's not a knock on the staff. It's an indictment of us being stuck in FCS while funding at an FBS level.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Pretty much a done deal. BJ, you need to keep track of FALWELL 1 coming in from the West. :)

FIFY
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Rant over.
Your response was also a blanket one. What work are they accomplishing that wasn't conceived 5 years ago?
Last edited by JK37 on November 22nd, 2016, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:There are not many P5 schools with a staff like that and they aren't getting P5 results. That's exactly why we shouldn't be funding it that way. No matter how good the sales staff is, when you're in the Big South playing FCS football, you have a ceiling that is lower than what we are paying for right now. That's not a knock on the staff. It's an indictment of us being stuck in FCS while funding at an FBS level.
I'm not going to argue that being in the FCS sucks, but do you know their salaries or what they get paid? What's the barometer to determine they shouldn't be getting funded as they are? What numbers are you seeing that says they haven't achieved tremendous success? Put FCS/FBS aside, I would argue the marketing department has achieved far more than just putting butts in the seats. Also, it should be recognized that marketing and sales are two separate functions operating under one department because they aren't big enough to operate independently of each other.

Regardless of what you feel is "appropriate funding" for this department, the new AD will need experience/exposure to this type of environment to manage it and demand even more from it. All sales and marketing departments can always be/do better, but it is equally important to not undercut its successes and acknowledge its achievements.

Edit: It's dangerous to make sweeping statements as you have with the influence you have on this board. People who haven't been or aren't as close to the University/Athletics Department will take your opinion and turn it into fact, which would not be accurate.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:There are not many P5 schools with a staff like that and they aren't getting P5 results. That's exactly why we shouldn't be funding it that way. No matter how good the sales staff is, when you're in the Big South playing FCS football, you have a ceiling that is lower than what we are paying for right now. That's not a knock on the staff. It's an indictment of us being stuck in FCS while funding at an FBS level.
I'm not going to argue that being in the FCS sucks, but do you know their salaries or what they get paid? What's the barometer to determine they shouldn't be getting funded as they are? What numbers are you seeing that says they haven't achieved tremendous success? Put FCS/FBS aside, I would argue the marketing department has achieved far more than just putting butts in the seats. Also, it should be recognized that marketing and sales are two separate functions operating under one department because they aren't big enough to operate independently of each other.

Regardless of what you feel is "appropriate funding" for this department, the new AD will need experience/exposure to this type of environment to manage it and demand even more from it. All sales and marketing departments can always be/do better, but it is equally important to not undercut its successes and acknowledge its achievements.

Edit: It's dangerous to make sweeping statements as you have with the influence you have on this board. People who haven't been or aren't as close to the University/Athletics Department will take your opinion and turn it into fact, which would not be accurate.
The LU Athletic Department runs like few if any other in America. There is no way to get exposure to its modeling
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: The LU Athletic Department runs like few if any other in America. There is no way to get exposure to its modeling
I'm glad we see eye to eye.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We need out of the Big South.
Ballcoach, where do you suggest we go?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Edit: text removed...that was not an appropriate response
Last edited by BJWilliams on November 23rd, 2016, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BJ is on a roll tonight. I have visited 2 threads and he's been a jerk in both. I'm sure there is some real world issues he's dealing with causing him go act this way. 10+ years on this board and there has been a lot of changes but BJWILLIAMS will never change...

PM coming my way I'm sure!!
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]