Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I used your comment about Margaux as a launchpad to discuss what a good deal of people are questioning: was this a difference in opinion between Jeff and Jerry. Margaux's tweets and Snapchat posts suggest that. I'm saying it wasn't a difference in opinion.
It sounds like there was friction between JB and TG
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So, I assume any announcement regarding TG will wait at least til Saturday, and if KSU beats Chuck South, til we lose our first round playoff game Hard to imagine we would enter the playoffs with an interim coach, but on the other hand, it wouldn't be much worse than a lame duck coach, and by then I think it would be common knowledge that was the case
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:So, I assume any announcement regarding TG will wait at least til Saturday, and if KSU beats Chuck South, til we lose our first round playoff game Hard to imagine we would enter the playoffs with an interim coach, but on the other hand, it wouldn't be much worse than a lame duck coach, and by then I think it would be common knowledge that was the case
I kinda want LU to back into the playoffs now. Just because it will increase TG's stock and he can land another job with greater ease. It's a win/win for everyone
By Dalegarz1
PH wrote:
"I kinda want LU to back into the playoffs now. Just because it will increase TG's stock and he can land another job with greater ease. It's a win/win for everyone"

TG thought his coaching career was over after Kansas-He should be convinced now!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:PH wrote:
"I kinda want LU to back into the playoffs now. Just because it will increase TG's stock and he can land another job with greater ease. It's a win/win for everyone"

TG thought his coaching career was over after Kansas-He should be convinced now!
Wow. What did he do to butt hurt you?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
How much of this was not winning with huge salaries ? vs.
How much of this was the sexual assault cases , and the athletics department not necessarily supporting the school in those decisions ?

Did Jerry just make a masterful stroke that could set our athletics in a great new direction of winning , and ensure we operated with integrity and followed the schools mission ? vs.
Was this personal and will Jerry Jr micromanage athletics like his father , and want all the credit for success?

I came into LU around the same time as LUADJEFF, I am thankful for all that he did for LU to make our athletics legit, but I also think the JFLJR deserves LU fan base and Alumni's support. When it comes to the ancillary stuff and antics on twitter, I can see your frustration. When it comes to making decisions for the University's future, he has made what seems to be every correct step thus far, and I am going to have faith he did with this decision as well.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote: Did Jerry just make a masterful stroke that could set our athletics in a great new direction of winning , and ensure we operated with integrity and followed the schools mission ? vs.
Was this personal and will Jerry Jr micromanage athletics like his father , and want all the credit for success?

I came into LU around the same time as LUADJEFF, I am thankful for all that he did for LU to make our athletics legit, but I also think the JFLJR deserves LU fan base and Alumni's support. When it comes to the ancillary stuff and antics on twitter, I can see your frustration. When it comes to making decisions for the University's future, he has made what seems to be every correct step thus far, and I am going to have faith he did with this decision as well.
Every "masterful" stroke that has been made has ramifications that are not considered (like long-term maintenance). Running a school is in some ways similar to a business, but having no consideration of the differences is not something people in the business world would call "masterful." I don't think this is leading our athletics in a new, exciting direction, but I would be glad if that was true. Still wouldn't change my opinion of the Admin. and the choices they have made.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote: I also think the JFLJR deserves LU fan base and Alumni's support. When it comes to the ancillary stuff and antics on twitter, I can see your frustration. When it comes to making decisions for the University's future, he has made what seems to be every correct step thus far, and I am going to have faith he did with this decision as well.
I would question this line of thinking. He's been great for us financially and with buildings, but his hiring is questionable. Many of the VPs (which is what the AD is) are unqualified yes-men who struggle managing or leading people. They get stuff done but it's at the expense of our employees.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: They get stuff done but it's at the expense of our employees.
That is the climate at most businesses in America.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I'd disagree that most businesses are like that. Particularly the way JR alienates anyone who disagrees with him, whether they be student, community member, board of directors member, etc. I can say that isn't the norm of a successful business leader.

Secondly, even if it was, didn't Doc say, "If it's Christian, it ought to be better."
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:I'd disagree that most businesses are like that. Particularly the way JR alienates anyone who disagrees with him, whether they be student, community member, board of directors member, etc. I can say that isn't the norm of a successful business leader.

Secondly, even if it was, didn't Doc say, "If it's Christian, it ought to be better."
That doesn't mean he actually MEANT it
By Jonathan Carone
Most successful businesses don't operate on fear. Nor do they believe their employees are simply a means to an end and that they can hire a new crop in a couple years.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Most successful businesses don't operate on fear. Nor do they believe their employees are simply a means to an end and that they can hire a new crop in a couple years.
I used to think that. Lots of business leaders still follow the Jack Welsch model of constantly turning over your bottom 10-25%. I just left a company who has a standing management policy of firing at least 1 person a year so the rest don't get complacent. It does foster a strong sense of 'US v THEM' and you can see it in the LU structure. Look at all the :dontgetit in certain positions. That's because they have survived and now band together with the other 'survivors ' to stay in self preservation mode.
No one would look at where I worked from the outside and say 'That's a failing business'. No one driving on 460 would look at LU and say ' Wow, look at how unsuccessful they are.'
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Most successful businesses don't operate on fear. Nor do they believe their employees are simply a means to an end and that they can hire a new crop in a couple years.
Actually you just described the majority of the Fortune 500 clients that I work alongside. The difference in this case being LU is a not-for-profit educational institution and not a cold-hearted capitalist enterprise. LU has spent the past decade walking the fine line of attempting to utilize well-vetted business practices inside an academic setting. That's not always an easy task and it does result in mistakes being made along the way. But it is tough to argue with the overall metrics of the school during this period.

As for this AD situation, I suspect that eventually more details will be leaked out. It is entirely possible and perhaps likely that this is simply a situation where two well-intentioned men saw the current state and the future through different lenses. There doesn't have to be a villain and frankly I like and respect all the parties involved. But I in no way suggest they are without flaw or fault.

I am genuinely interested in seeing the direction all parties take now. We have a chancellor who may be stepping away from the situation to work for a man who also shares a strong interest in managing a football team (ask Herschel & Flutie). We have an athletic department that while currently rattled has gone through a facility metamorphosis that makes us an attractive gig for whoever steps into Jeff's rather large shoes.
By Jonathan Carone
At least in most of the businesses you guys are referencing they pay decent. Liberty pays nothing but gets by because they offer tuition. Then 4-5 years later those people leave and a new batch come in to take advantage of it. We try to operate like a business but pay like a ministry. It can - and has been - successful in some aspects. I'd just rather we run the place like a Christian university and not a commercial real estate firm.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:How much of this was not winning with huge salaries ? vs.
How much of this was the sexual assault cases , and the athletics department not necessarily supporting the school in those decisions ?

Did Jerry just make a masterful stroke that could set our athletics in a great new direction of winning , and ensure we operated with integrity and followed the schools mission ? vs.

Jerry endorsed trump. Sexual assault allegations clearly mean nothing to him.

Just sayin
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
With all due respect, most Christian universities are dying. Our business may have significant flaws but it is not without strong merit. I for one would love to see certain aspects addressed academically and for the faculty/staff. But if we can continue to sustain revenue through the completion of this massive construction phase then we are positioned well to solve some of the other issues.
By Jonathan Carone
Why can't we have building and financial success and still treat employees the way they should be treated? We should lead the way in that aspect.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
When they stated a number of years ago they can't spend the money fast enough they told me that they are holding back paying faculty and staff. I am sure others saw it that way too. Once upon a time I almost took a job at LU. I'm so glad I didn't.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Why can't we have building and financial success and still treat employees the way they should be treated? We should lead the way in that aspect.
Because it's never been done that way in the past. Loyalty to the Persona always 'Trumps' competency
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:At least in most of the businesses you guys are referencing they pay decent. Liberty pays nothing but gets by because they offer tuition. Then 4-5 years later those people leave and a new batch come in to take advantage of it. We try to operate like a business but pay like a ministry. It can - and has been - successful in some aspects. I'd just rather we run the place like a Christian university and not a commercial real estate firm.
Not entirely true. Not going to get into specifics for obvious reasons, but in my division they actually pay very well, and it's not a niche area. Has several hundred people comprised of several departments. I'm sure (and I've heard) of other areas getting the shaft, but it's certainly not the case as a whole. And heck, even if you do have low pay in some areas, the benefits overall are good (retirement, insanely low HSA deductible, etc). It's got problem's sure, but I don't believe compensation/benefits are one of them.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:At least in most of the businesses you guys are referencing they pay decent. Liberty pays nothing but gets by because they offer tuition. Then 4-5 years later those people leave and a new batch come in to take advantage of it. We try to operate like a business but pay like a ministry. It can - and has been - successful in some aspects. I'd just rather we run the place like a Christian university and not a commercial real estate firm.
Not entirely true. Not going to get into specifics for obvious reasons, but in my division they actually pay very well, and it's not a niche area. Has several hundred people comprised of several departments. I'm sure (and I've heard) of other areas getting the shaft, but it's certainly not the case as a whole. And heck, even if you do have low pay in some areas, the benefits overall are good (retirement, insanely low HSA deductible, etc). It's got problem's sure, but I don't believe compensation/benefits are one of them.
I assume your division has nothing to do with classroom teaching. Have never met anyone teaching at LU who would be considered to be well paid or even paid at the level of typical four year colleges, even though they carried a much greater course load. To add to that, the people who left LU and now work at my school seem to be very pleased with their choice. Folks rag on the smaller Lynchburg colleges, but they certainly treat employees with respect. By the way, my kids get tuition, as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
rhezick wrote:
I assume your division has nothing to do with classroom teaching. Have never met anyone teaching at LU who would be considered to be well paid or even paid at the level of typical four year colleges, even though they carried a much greater course load. To add to that, the people who left LU and now work at my school seem to be very pleased with their choice. Folks rag on the smaller Lynchburg colleges, but they certainly treat employees with respect. By the way, my kids get tuition, as well.
But. But. But it's a Ministry. And besides LU is a 'Teaching Institution'. You will not be taught by some GA while the Professor is off doing Ressearch!
Volleyball Coach

It’s one thing if the coach does not have […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

If ACC is left with 3 or 4 or completely dismantle[…]

When I finished reading the AI response, I felt l[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2024/04/26/liberty-un[…]