Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

What should be Liberty's next Division I sport?

Women's Golf
26%
Women's Beach Volleyball
3%
Ice hockey (men's or women's)
32%
Men's Swimming
3%
Men's Lacrosse
19%
Rifle
3%
Triathlon
3%
Other (please reply)
10%
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Kolzilla41 wrote:
adam42381 wrote:Women's Hockey would be tough. Are there any women's teams that are remotely close to Lynchburg?
Probably Princeton or Ohio State.
6 1/2 hours to your closest opponent isn't a recipe for success.
adam42381 wrote:
Kolzilla41 wrote:
adam42381 wrote:Women's Hockey would be tough. Are there any women's teams that are remotely close to Lynchburg?
Probably Princeton or Ohio State.
6 1/2 hours to your closest opponent isn't a recipe for success.
**cough cough** FBS Independent **cough cough**
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I heard a while back that once they got football into FBS they were going to focus on hockey and moving them to NCAA. I don't know if that changed.

also I see them adding a sport rather then a bunch of sports to get them to 18 scholarships.

gymnastics makes the most sense and they are going to start offering diving scholarships next year. they have been using fill ins the past two years.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Worth noting that McCaw was the AD of two NCAA hockey schools...and worked in the NHL for a bit as well.

If anyone would know what it took to make it happen for men's and women's hockey, it's our AD.
yup. with the upgrades and the previous ambitions. I definitely believe hockey is going to happen. just a matter of when.

I'm sure they loved the press they got from that goal too. it was featured on TSN up in Canada for a few days. It will be interesting to see what unfolds in the next couple of years. fun times
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
ballah09 wrote:http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... b5b59.html

Golf, BV, and gymnastics.
Women's hockey was also a possibility although it may seem minor. We'll just have to see the interest of students, Lynchburg and other regions surrounded or somewhat near Lynchburg.
I doubt hockey moves up. ACHA is not much of a step down from NCAA if at all.
Class of 20Something wrote:I doubt hockey moves up. ACHA is not much of a step down from NCAA if at all.
Then doesn't that make it more likely to move up if the goal is to create NCAA opportunities for the women and remain Title IX compliant?
flamehunter wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I doubt hockey moves up. ACHA is not much of a step down from NCAA if at all.
Then doesn't that make it more likely to move up if the goal is to create NCAA opportunities for the women and remain Title IX compliant?
To me, it doesn't make sense to split hockey. Some in NCAA and some in ACHA just doesn't seem like the right decision. If it were up to me, hockey is all or none. Golf, BV and Rowing make more sense. Having a Women's Golf team to compliment the mens makes the most sense with the least required investment.
Class of 20Something wrote:
flamehunter wrote:
To me, it doesn't make sense to split hockey. Some in NCAA and some in ACHA just doesn't seem like the right decision. If it were up to me, hockey is all or none. Golf, BV and Rowing make more sense. Having a Women's Golf team to compliment the mens makes the most sense with the least required investment.
Hockey would not require much of an increase in investment and the number of additional roster spots would be greater. I don't disagree with the other sports being good additions but I wouldn't take hockey off the table.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Golf is a given. BV is made up of half the regular girls from the volleyball team. I don't think its Crew because that doesn't spike anyone's interest. I do see a lot of interest in gymnastics and hockey. Hockey does have the more up to date facilities but there are a lot more gymnastic teams on the east coast. I'm thinking they will head towards gymnastics. Both are good options.
ballah09 wrote:Golf is a given. BV is made up of half the regular girls from the volleyball team. I don't think its Crew because that doesn't spike anyone's interest. I do see a lot of interest in gymnastics and hockey. Hockey does have the more up to date facilities but there are a lot more gymnastic teams on the east coast. I'm thinking they will head towards gymnastics. Both are good options.
And with a gymnastics facility Liberty is that much closer to hosting the Olympics
ballah09 wrote:Golf is a given. BV is made up of half the regular girls from the volleyball team. I don't think its Crew because that doesn't spike anyone's interest. I do see a lot of interest in gymnastics and hockey. Hockey does have the more up to date facilities but there are a lot more gymnastic teams on the east coast. I'm thinking they will head towards gymnastics. Both are good options.
Yeah. You're not really going out that far on a limb with thinking Women's Golf would be added next.
Don't underestimate Crew. It gives you the scholarship spots without a huge overhead expense.
Purple Haize wrote:
Yeah. You're not really going out that far on a limb with thinking Women's Golf would be added next.
Don't underestimate Crew. It gives you the scholarship spots without a huge overhead expense.
Being that crew is a water sport, my guess is that the insurance would be pretty high though?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]