Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:I'm sure there's a chance of an associate sponsorship (small logo on the side) or maybe a small number of races as primary but wouldn't expect much more than that. The cost of a cup sponsorship is much higher than xfinity or trucks.
You're forgetting that LU has more money than it can spend
By LUAlum1215
Purple Haize wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:I'm sure there's a chance of an associate sponsorship (small logo on the side) or maybe a small number of races as primary but wouldn't expect much more than that. The cost of a cup sponsorship is much higher than xfinity or trucks.
This is true. But I think we can all probably agree spending to the tune of 25 million for 38 weeks of advertisement is not likely to happen.
LUAlum1215 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
This is true. But I think we can all probably agree spending to the tune of 25 million for 38 weeks of advertisement is not likely to happen.
I think the only thing that would push them over the edge for it is that NASCAR and the fans that follow are almost exclusively Libertys target demographic. But I think a couple races a year is more likely. If they see good feedback from it they might go further, but they do need to rebuild the endowment a bit. $500M in the campus is nearly a quarter of it and they subsidize tuition with the interest. With other online schools popping up, Liberty's cash cow is taking a hit.

Additionally, they might want to see how exposure goes the next three seasons with the FBS title next to our name. It might be difficult to discern the root of brand recognition if you do too many avenues at once.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
That's about on par with the Football budget :D
By Old Red
Byron is gonna be racing in the Cup series next year.
Kahne is gonna be out of the #5 car & Hendrick will rebuild that whole team around a 2-3 year contract with Byron.
I'm sure Hendricks will have enough associate sponsors (& maybe a primary) lined up that a big commitment from LU won't be required to make this happen.

Still, I hope LU can be on the car for 4-6 races at the Cup level.

Obviously, nothing's been announced yet, but William's win at Indy yesterday sealed the deal.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Conventional wisdom has been the 5 car (I'm an old Terry fan) but he is making a statement for the 8. Even in Rick's wildest dreams I don't think he expected this type of instant success from William.

Keep in mind that Hendricks and LU have more connections than William.

Incidentally it is great to have you back dropping by, Old Red. Your posts are always appreciated. And keep me in mind for dining recommendations on your Texan work adventures. Although I am sure you have made some discoveries already in Austin and Fort Worth.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Rick Hendrick indicated at Indy right before William went out won the roace that they do not plan on him moving up to the Cup series in 2018. But the more William keeps dominating the circuit they will have a hard time keeping him down. Conventional wisdom is that Chase Elliott is getting the #5 seat. But I wouldn't count out our guy at this stage.
By LUAlum1215
Sly Fox wrote:Rick Hendrick indicated at Indy right before William went out won the roace that they do not plan on him moving up to the Cup series in 2018. But the more William keeps dominating the circuit they will have a hard time keeping him down. Conventional wisdom is that Chase Elliott is getting the #5 seat. But I wouldn't count out our guy at this stage.
I can guarantee that Chase Elliott will not be moving to the 5 car. It makes no sense, logically or financially, to move him from the 24 to the 5. Especially as hard as sponsors and teams work to build a drivers brand and image.

Byron may end up in the 5, but most likely in 2019. I think he's staying where he is next year, Hendrick honors Khane's contract for 2018, then make the move the week after Homestead. Of course that is based on finding enough sponsorship for Khane seeing that his two primary sponsors are leaving after this year.
By Old Red
This has us one step closer to Byron moving into the 5 car next year. I'm confident Hendrick can get a sponsorship package put together with 3-5 different companies (including Hendrick Automotive) stepping up. After seeing LU step up their presence a little with the Darlington "throwback" paint scheme, I can see them agreeing to come on board for 4-6 races at the cup level next year.

the only way it doesn't happen for 2017 is if Hendrick signs Matt Kenseth for a 1 year contract until Byron is ready.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/cup/s ... 017-season
By LUAlum1215
Old Red wrote:This has us one step closer to Byron moving into the 5 car next year. I'm confident Hendrick can get a sponsorship package put together with 3-5 different companies (including Hendrick Automotive) stepping up. After seeing LU step up their presence a little with the Darlington "throwback" paint scheme, I can see them agreeing to come on board for 4-6 races at the cup level next year.

the only way it doesn't happen for 2017 is if Hendrick signs Matt Kenseth for a 1 year contract until Byron is ready.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/cup/s ... 017-season
I think this has a legitimate shot at happening. Watching the press conference when they unveiled the throwback car Jerry commented that they are very happy with Byron and hope to have a long relationship with him. With Khane out and sponsors not wanting to pay for a veteran, WB has at least opened the conversation about the 5 car next year.
By Old Red
It's crazy how far he's come in such a short period of time. I know everyone who's interacted with him in the sport says hes the real deal. I'm not surprised y the move, but definitely impressed.

What did surprise me was seeing how much LU has stepped up. The article only mentions Liberty and Axalta being sponsors which shows LU having a much bigger involvement than I expected. Even if they only sponsor 1/3 of the races, it's till way more than the 4-6 races I was expecting.

Looking forward to seeing William grow as a competitor over the next few seasons. My wife and I met him when he was still driving in the K&N series and we were really impressed him. Seems to be a really genuine guy. Now, I just gotta figure out how to get into any VIP events LU has on campus or at the track.
By LUAlum1215
I too am surprised by how much Liberty is contributing. Never thought they would put that kind of cash into a race team. As a longtime NASCAR fan and alum of the school I'm pumped to see them investing in the sport. I imagine they will be lining up a lt least one convo with Rick, William, and probably some other big names. Hard to imagine they wouldn't leverage that side of the deal.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah I think it is safe to assume that we'll be seeing a great deal more of William moving forward. For those unaware, having someone fly up through the levels this quickly without a famous dad is exceptionally rare in this sport. He had to earn this seat every step of the way.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
He certainly has risen through the ranks quickly...and proven himself to be very competitive at every level from the K&N Series all the way up to where he is now in contention for the Xfinity Series title. With Hendrick backing him, I would not be surprised to see him becoming competitive very quickly in the Cup series
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
For the record, while it is certainly still a huge chunk of change, the going rate for sponsorship of a cup team is quite a bit less than it was just a few years ago. The money is just not out there like it used to be. There will likely be teams trying to compete next year with as little as 10 mil. Of course they are not Hendrick Motorsports teams, but with a young driver who will work relatively "cheap", I think it's safe to say the budget for the 5 car will be a good bit less than last year.
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: