Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Old Red
New Hampshire makes it 6 for the year. I say he wins #8 at Homestead to take the championship. Anybody heard any news about LU still being involved when he moves up to Xfinity???
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Great article on William and his first semester as an LU student in the Charlotte fishwrap last week ...
Charlotte Observer wrote:SEPTEMBER 23, 2016 6:09 PM
Instincts, skill thrust William Byron into NASCAR’s spotlight

BY DAVID SCOTT
dscott@charlotteobserver.com

LOUDON, N.H. - Charlotte’s William Byron has successfully navigated through what has so far been a spectacular rookie season in the NASCAR Truck Series. He has five victories – most ever by a first-year driver on the circuit – and is the top seed as the Truck’s Chase begins Saturday in the UNOH 175 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

But there is another part of Byron’s life in which he also has first-year status. He’s a freshman this fall at Liberty University. And that brings about its own set of challenges.

“The first couple weeks were important, just learning how things work on campus, figuring out who your friends are, how to get to class, which rooms to go to,” Byron said. “Once you figure that out, you’re more relaxed.”
Here's the mention of LU sponsorship moving forward ...
Bill Byron said the Liberty sponsorship wasn’t a factor in Hendrick’s decision to sign William.

“(Hendrick) said they were fully sponsored and would pay for (the ride),” Bill Byron (William's dad) said. “We haven’t gotten to next year with Liberty, but I’m sure they will want to continue.”
Click Here for Full Story
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
from his twitter

gotta admit... that's pretty friggin cool
William Byron ‏@WilliamByron 22h
Showing back up to @LibertyU with new hardware from the weekend!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
incidentally his twitter is just cray

the kid goes from legit "behind the scenes of NASCAR" shots at the track, to pics from a freakin dorm room at LU

weirdest thing I've ever seen
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Liberty should "stick with" Bryon all the way to cup series. Excellent PR for the university. As a NASCAR fan since 1962, it would be great seeing "LU" on a cup car. I know LU probably could not be primary sponsor for a cup car, but an associate sponsorship would still be good.

heck, have him bring truck to a LU football game. Might improve attendance.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Sadly Byron's quest went up in smoke tonight (literally) at Phoenix in the next to last race of the season as his engine let go with about 10 laps remaining in the race and he misses out on making the final 4 for the championship.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Byron caps off a mercurial season with his seventh win at Homestead...but due to his engine failure at Phoenix, cannot parlay that to a championship
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Under the old system he would have lapped the field. But NASCAR's continued obssession with creating compelling end of year races has rendered most of the season pointless and whoever gets lucky or unlucky the final couple of of weeks winning the "championship". Byron was the best driver all season and his reward is the new seat next year further up the ladder.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I concur...For me, the champion should be the most consistent over the course of the whole season...not the guy who was the luckiest over 10 races.

In the Cup finale today, Carl Edwards was leading late in the race and he wrecked with Joey Logano, knocking himself out of contention for the championship and almost knocking Logano out, although he came back to finish 4th. Jimmie Johnson ended up winning the race and the championship because he managed to stay out of trouble in the last race, not because of his whole season body of work.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I concur...For me, the champion should be the most consistent over the course of the whole season...not the guy who was the luckiest over 10 races.

In the Cup finale today, Carl Edwards was leading late in the race and he wrecked with Joey Logano, knocking himself out of contention for the championship and almost knocking Logano out, although he came back to finish 4th. Jimmie Johnson ended up winning the race and the championship because he managed to stay out of trouble in the last race, not because of his whole season body of work.
Didn't Jimmie Johnson also have the most wins this year?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
He did, but it really shouldn't even be about who wins the most either. I think there was a year Kenseth won the title winning only one race...but he only finished outside of the top 20 5 times in 36 races and finished in the top 10 23 times...again, the whole season body of work. "7-Time" finished 30th or worse 6 times this season including the next to last race at Phoenix after he clinched a spot in the final 4...

Getting back to the original subject, Byron not only won the most races this season, he finished outside of the top 10 only 7 times in the 23 race season and he finishes 5th
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Were you making the same argument when the Patriots went 16-0 and lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Of course not because that would be an apples/oranges comparison I believe
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
NASCAR is dying. They needed to do something to gain interest which is why the Chase was implemented. Like it or not, Johnson won based on the current format. It can be argued that his 7 championships is far more impressive than Petty's since the cars are all the same now for the most part.
By Old Red
Just read an article that said LU will be sponsoring Byron for 12-16 races in the Xfinity series next year.
No mention of car # or who will sponsor the other races.
Glad to see LU is staying with him. Will be interested to see if we do any kind of recruiting in the fan/hospitality areas at the racetracks.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Good catch, Old Red. Incidentally it is great to see you on the board once again.

With William getting up to a series with much broader exposure, it certainly offers us some intriguing new possibilities at the speedways. I am anxious to see which races we will be sponsoring. Hopefully TMS makes the list.
By Old Red
IMG_0449.JPG

I was at the NASCAR Hall of Fame this past weekend with my dad & found this on the first floor.
Apparently setting the record number of wins in a rookie season was enough to get his driving suit put on display (for now anyways). Sorry about the poor photo quality. I couldn't do much with the glare.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]