Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
He's 3rd in truck series points! Keep this up and he will have my favorite reality TV personality Marcus Lemonis on speed dial. Then if he uses some of his earnings to start a small business and runs into problems...............
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Wrong thread I think olldflame...lol
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Upstart William Byron, Toyota win NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Iowa

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/nascar-camp ... z4C1xpQowi

Byron, driving the No. 9 Liberty University Toyota Tundra, swiped the lead from Cole Custer on a restart with nine laps remaining, but a caution six laps from the finish saw the Charlotte, North Carolina, native have to defend his presence at the front.

Video http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/ ... edway.html
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
How awesome would it be to have him be in contention at homestead and an LU writer be there to cover it...this is definitely some positive marketing for the school
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I watched a lot of this one. LU and the truck dominated the race and the Fox Sports program. Loved the LU ad where he was late for class. The kid is really good! He will be fun to follow over the next few years even after the LU sponsorship ends. He's a good LU student spokesperson. I hope he completes his studies and becomes an alum.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
That was his 3rd win of the season, which is tops on the circuit I believe. It would really be cool if the truck was number 71, instead of 9. But another truck has the #71, I believe. I love those LU Pit Crew uniforms.
By Damien Sordelett
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:That was his 3rd win of the season, which is tops on the circuit I believe. It would really be cool if the truck was number 71, instead of 9. But another truck has the #71, I believe. I love those LU Pit Crew uniforms.
Byron's number has been 9 since he got into stock car racing with the Liberty sponsorship (Late Models with Jr. Motorsports, K&N with HScott Motorsports and now the Trucks with Kyle Busch Motorsports).
I haven't seen the No. 71 in the Cup Series since Dave Marcus way back in the day, so that could be an option if he keeps moving up. However, the cost of sponsorship steadily increases with each move up in NASCAR. The TV exposure, in the long run, helps immensely with that. Plus, when you listen to a radio broadcast, the sponsor of the car comes up every time the driver is mentioned so fans can visualize the car's paint scheme, etc.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
A truck series title would almost guarantee him a seat in a Xfinity Series ride next year. Kyle Busch doesn't have a team in that series this year. He certainly continues to raise his profile among the current crop of young drivers. I find it cool to have Suarez from Monterrey giving Latinos someone to get behind.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This kid is on fire ....
Fox Sports wrote:William Byron makes history by winning yet again in Truck Series
With his boss at Kyle Busch Motorsports unexpectedly out of the picture early in Thursday night's Camping World Truck Series race at Kentucky Speedway, rookie William Byron took matters into his own young hands.

By Joe Menzer @OneMenz
Jul 7, 2016 at 10:48p ET

With his boss at Kyle Busch Motorsports unexpectedly crashed out of Thursday night's Camping World Truck Series race at Kentucky Speedway, rookie William Byron took it upon himself to make history.

Byron, who is only 18 years old, did so by winning the Buckle Up In Your Truck 225 on the 1.5-mile track, claiming his fourth victory in the 10th race of his inaugural season in the series. That ties him with -- you guessed it -- Kyle Busch for most wins by a rookie in series history.

And there are still 13 races left in the season.
Click Here for Full Story
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I turned off the news and watched the race last night. I'm glad I did, I enjoyed my evening. Byron has a good shot at winning the series. Liberty put their ad dollars on the right team.
By Old Red
I can see this kid getting 8 wins, if not more, on his way to the championship. You guys think LU will stick with him when he moves up to the Xfinity series???
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
He's really good! It helps when Bush puts in a fast truck, but he won one race with his driving skills and the 3rd fastest truck on the track that day. Hope LU sticks with him in the Xfinity series!
By Old Red
I'm not sure if LU would be able to commit to full-season sponsorship in the Xfinity series (they could prove me wrong), but I think they could definitely be primary sponsor for a good chunk of the season with the same money they are spending in the Truck series (and associate sponsor for the rest of the races).
I think as long as he's a student, LU should find a way to stay on his ride.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He should be an LU students for 3-4 more years. If he continues winning the way he has this year, an Xfinity sponsorship wouldn't be an outrageous investment. The kid is proving to be an amazing ambassador for the school this year not only behind the wheel but also behind the mic and in social media.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
a full season in Xfinity probably will run around $5 million to start as a primary sponsor
By Old Red
Each week I grow more confident that Byron is moving up to the Xfinity series next year (hopefully still with LU). It won't surprise me if Joe Gibbs doesn't sign him to replace Eric Jones.
Whatever happens, he's made a serious mark on the NASCAR Truck series.
He probably would have had win #6 of the shock hadn't broke with 15 to go.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]