Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
One small correction: Horizon went to COA for MBB, and an equivalent number of female student-athletes. The females don't necessarily all have to be in WBB. A school could split its female recipients among various sports. It really is getting crazy.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: ... Now here we are where we are probably one of the most financially sound schools, and the main reason we can't get into the Sun Belt- the Big South of 1-A football, is because we have too much money. All of the the reasons given by the more "tolerant" SBC board posters given about our faith, politics, diploma mill, academics, ability to recruit, competiveness, etc. Are in my opinion, probably inconsequential to the SBC school administrators. The USA Today story hit the nail on the head, it's because we're a wealthy private school that has proven it can compete with them with a huge potential to dominate their conference. I'm not sure if it's sad or funny.
welcome aboard ORANGE.

I had the same thought when reading that. it's like Lucy holding the ball for Charlie Brown then yanking it away

talk about a moving target:

unknown school? => ok. largest Christian school... ever
...well...
academics? => a gazillion merit scholars, accredited Law School, medical school
...well...
no onfield FB success! => made the playoffs
... well...
fincances? => more $ than we can spend, rebuilding the entire campus, bigger athletic budget than most
...well...
"TOO FINANCIALLY SOUND"

really :roll:

if we were HBCU, Muslim, Satanists, LGTB, or ANYTHING ELSE we'd be in. just be honest and tell us "we don't want no born-agains in our league"
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Here is what I don't understand... why are some conferences going "all in" for bball but not other sports? It's because bball players are more deserving, right? lol
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
And the team has a relatively small sample size in comparison to football's huge roster size that would have to bematched in female COAs. Keep in mind that FCS was created as a way for Division I schools to have a cost-friendly option in football to remain DI in all other sports. Formost FCS schools, this is putting a tighter squeeze on already dim financials.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
LUOrange wrote: ... Now here we are where we are probably one of the most financially sound schools, and the main reason we can't get into the Sun Belt- the Big South of 1-A football, is because we have too much money. All of the the reasons given by the more "tolerant" SBC board posters given about our faith, politics, diploma mill, academics, ability to recruit, competiveness, etc. Are in my opinion, probably inconsequential to the SBC school administrators. The USA Today story hit the nail on the head, it's because we're a wealthy private school that has proven it can compete with them with a huge potential to dominate their conference. I'm not sure if it's sad or funny.
welcome aboard ORANGE.

I had the same thought when reading that. it's like Lucy holding the ball for Charlie Brown then yanking it away

talk about a moving target:

unknown school? => ok. largest Christian school... ever
...well...
academics? => a gazillion merit scholars, accredited Law School, medical school
...well...
no onfield FB success! => made the playoffs
... well...
fincances? => more $ than we can spend, rebuilding the entire campus, bigger athletic budget than most
...well...
"TOO FINANCIALLY SOUND"

really :roll:

if we were HBCU, Muslim, Satanists, LGTB, or ANYTHING ELSE we'd be in. just be honest and tell us "we don't want no born-agains in our league"
Maybe I should return, would that help? *I laugh out loud* (sorry, chortle audibly is getting old).
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Because basketball brings in more money than other sports not named football.
Yes, I know, but it's still stupid.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If the conference was going to compromise and not go all in, it had to be a sport(s) that everyone participated in and could afford. MBB/WBB was the logical choice. It's actually very title IX friendly because WBB has more scholarships.

I was a bit surprised to see that the estimated cost for LU to provide COA across the board is less than 3/4 million a year. It's not chicken feed, but I can see where we could afford it down the road, even if the online goose stops laying golden eggs.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Reading the thread at AGS, seems we won't be the last FCS school to do this. 'Nova, Richmond, Rhode Island will (at least partially) because of their basketball conferences (Big East and A-10) going in that direction. North Dakota probably will as well.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
strange how LU and CCU are focusing on this... meanwhile fans of GW, Presby and WU havent mentioned it

to be fair- WEF brought it up over there but no one cared to discuss it
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
All schools in D1 conferences should have all sports, including football. It weakens a conference when there are non football schools in it.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote:Speaking of Winthrop, have they decided if they're going to add football or not yet?
Nothing new on that front. WU's short-lived former president seemed to bring up football a lot, but got fired before she could really get any further in the process than just a couple of town halls. A new president comes into office in July. He has a background in sports management at Louisville & Kent State, but I have no clue on what he intends to do with football. I really don't see the money being available to get a team started unless a big money donor comes swooping in.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Man that music was bad. It felt like a motivational video. Other than that, the segment was incredible. Some of that b-roll was amazing.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I agree that it might be time to invest in a new music license. But the story itself offered some very overt statements that I admit I have only seen through new releases. Although it would have been nice to get a more firm statement on how we are using the FCOA to court FBS leagues. Beggars can't be choosers.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
According to recent commit Alex Probert in an interview with Scout, we are paying $6000/year for COA. That is the highest figure I have heard from ANY school of ANY size. I feel confident that we have, but we better have documentation to justify that amount. It is sure to be scrutinized.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:$6K seems pretty high. Lynchburg isn't THAT expensive of a place.
I don´t think the local cost of living plays a big factor. Most of that stuff is covered in the scholarship anyway. A big factor is travel costs, and since LU recruits nationally, we have more players coming from a distance than even some P5 schools, who stock their roster by signing all the best players in their home state. Probert, the kicker we signed who sited FCOA as a factor in his decision, is from Minnesota. I do agree that $6000 seems a bit high even at that.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:$6K seems pretty high. Lynchburg isn't THAT expensive of a place.
I don´t think the local cost of living plays a big factor. Most of that stuff is covered in the scholarship anyway. A big factor is travel costs, and since LU recruits nationally, we have more players coming from a distance than even some P5 schools, who stock their roster by signing all the best players in their home state. Probert, the kicker we signed who sited FCOA as a factor in his decision, is from Minnesota. I do agree that $6000 seems a bit high even at that.
But cost of attendance is an estimate that us supposed to be an estimate that covers ALL students, not just "student"-athletes. So why LU's COA is so much higher than other private institutions that don't just recruit locally or regionally is baffling.

Likely the closest in relation for national recruiting landscape, as far as I know - Notre Dame is only $1950, BYU $4500***. Perhaps some of the others below recruit on as large of a national scale as Liberty does, but I don't exactly pay that much attention to a school's recruiting landscape outside of athletics.

Duke $2206
Baylor $3882
TCU $4700
Miami (FL) $2780
Vanderbilt $2780
Boston College $1400
Wake Forest $2400
Northwestern $2492
Syracuse $1632
Stanford $2625

And this article from insidehighered goes into it and how the FCOA calculation inflation is becoming rampantly suspicious (and also points out the cost of living factor).

Of course it was blatantly inevitable the the FCOA calculations would be exploited for recruiting purposes when the NCAA left it all up to the school's to determine how much they would offer.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... s-athletes
“It’s suspicious,” said Ellen Frishberg, a former college financial aid director and president of Executive Function, a higher education consulting firm. “Since you have to present the cost of attendance as the same to everyone, increasing it inflates the budgets for the entire population. That creates more financial need, which creates more loan eligibility, which could mean more debt for students, which is a very negative thing. They’re creating a huge amount of unmet need and funding it for some people and not for others.”

What colleges list as full cost of attendance is important, as it defines the limits of a student's available financial aid and figures significantly into determinations of how much aid a Pell Grant recipient is due and how much in federal loans a student is able to borrow.

The federal government provides guidance and tracks these figures, but allows college financial aid officers to determine what an appropriate estimate is for their institution, though colleges must justify those amounts in some way. The large variance among institutions -- owing to factors such as cost of living being different from one city or state to the next, for example -- has been mostly uncontroversial. That's changed now that cost of attendance has become part of the intercollegiate athletics arms race.
So now you have even more to blame on the NCAA - increased tax burden, increased student debt. All in the name of exploiting student-athletes!

***Hat tip to Saturday Down South for all the FCOA figures other than BYU, which I did a Google search for http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-fo ... explained/
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If the $6k number is true, we're significantly higher than any other school in the country. I truly hope we can back it up.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
A school like LU messing with financial numbers and being dishonest with money (IF it's true) would cause us to be lumped back in with the likes of the most well-known and filthy televangelists out there. So I have to believe LU has covered its tail on this.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]