Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

JK37 wrote:Neevr said the world. But when places like HPU and UNCA get tournaments with lesser bids than what Liberty submitted, it's obvious there is a desire by many administrators around the conference to not allow Liberty to have everything.

I think if we agree no one attends tournaments outside of MBB and BB (and maybe w don't agree), then the best facility is the obvious choice to host. For example, I have no issue with CCU hosting softball this past year.
So you have zero facts just a conspiracy theory. Got it.
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote:But if few fans attend anyway, then the surrounding area matters a lot less than the facility. The experience of the S-A should be paramount.
Which circles around to where the SA will have a better experience. The list is still the same.
The surrounding area doesn't have much to do with the SA experience at a tournament.
thepostman wrote:
JK37 wrote:Never said the world. But when places like HPU and UNCA get tournaments with lesser bids than what Liberty submitted...
So you have zero facts just a conspiracy theory. Got it.
On the contrary, that is fact. On many occasions, Liberty has attempted to virtually buy the bid, but to no avail. And I'm not simply inferring the reason why. Those in the room say there's a consistent pattern of an ABL mentality.
JK37 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote:But if few fans attend anyway, then the surrounding area matters a lot less than the facility. The experience of the S-A should be paramount.
Which circles around to where the SA will have a better experience. The list is still the same.
The surrounding area doesn't have much to do with the SA experience at a tournament.
Then why have tournaments in the Bahamas, Hawaii, Las Vegas or Alaska? I think the surrounding area does, plus it adds an extra draw for any fans who were thinking about attending.
Again, when Radford starts getting. Bids (and maybe Campbell and GW to an extent) than I'd :dontgetit
Purple Haize wrote:Then why have tournaments in the Bahamas, Hawaii, Las Vegas or Alaska? I think the surrounding area does, plus it adds an extra draw for any fans who were thinking about attending.
Again, when Radford starts getting. Bids (and maybe Campbell and GW to an extent) than I'd :dontgetit
Those are very different tournaments with different schedules than a postseason conference tournament.

Agreed on the schools you listed. And I get the Coastal thing. MB is really the only destination in the conference. (Maybe Winthrop can claim Charlotte. I don't think CSU has the facilities to combine with the city for a total package.)

For most of these tournaments, however, 90% of fan turnout is going to be what it is no matter where the event is held. I'm talking about sports outside of MBB. So if the destination alone can't generate a huge difference in attendance, I believe the competition site and facility should be the preeminent criteria employed when choosing the host location.

Is there any other postseason tournament in the Big South besides men's basketball that generates much attendance outside of parents and administrators, who would go anyway no matter where it's located? Maybe I'm missing something.
I agree, jk37. One could argue that Womens Hoops & Baseball often draw numbers with curious locals & close by fans. But the others draw nothing outside of those directly connected to the players competing.

Frankly I am a bit surprised that we don't get a few bones thrown our way in some of the Olympic sports so that there wouldn't be a valid argument when they ignore us in the major sport processes. Perhaps that is what occurred with the two baseball tourneys the past decade.

My experience covering conference tourneys is that outside of access to local restaurants and a practice facility, there really aren't many opportunities to enjoy local color until your team is eliminated. So being near Myrtle Beach really doesn't add much value to the student athletes. That is totally different than the preseason tourneys in Cancun, San Juan, Nassau & Anchorage where there is plenty of time to soak up the cultural experience with much of it included in the tourney itinerary.
LSU

We lose 9-4. With score 8-4 in Top of 6th we left […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

As for number of scholarship, baseball and softbal[…]

Volleyball Coach

Former player and assistant coach Rebecca Rudnick […]

Election 2022 and 2024

Unless Trump is suddenly a NY resident again, […]