Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Here it is...and here's the latest news I received in a band alumni email...

A former LU marching band member wrote the music score for Hoodwinked,
the movie that opened at the Carmike 8 theater in Lynchburg this weekend.
Hoodwinkedis a witty adaptation of Little Red Riding Hood.

John Mark Painter played in the LU marching band and traveled as an
instrumentalist with the Sounds of Liberty. In his senior year he
transferred to Belmont in Nashville where he met his wife, Fleming
McWilliams. They are professional musicians in Nashville. John Mark's
previous credits include the musical scores for several of Max Lucado's
videos for children.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
oh boy- this time it wasn't me. JIM- you're gonna take a beating for this!

*We may have to move this thread at some point but for now we'll leave it where it is.*
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I know...I'm already ready.

As I said on the cheerleading post, bands were on ESPN this year (ok, at least drum & bugle corps...DCIs...go Bluecoats!)
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
And if I'm not mistaken, ESPN is a sports network.

(OK, by their standards, bowling, poker, cheerleading, band, and many other things are sports...but still).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Other Sports is a stretch for marching band. But it certainly fits on a LU Sports board.

Time now for PAmedic wax poetic about his experiences. :?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I'm holding out so you guys REALLY want it.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
One time.
At band camp.... :mrgreen:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
for those of you who never saw these beauties! (the uniforms)

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I didn't realize our school colors were Maroon or Columbia Blue.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Other Sports is a stretch for marching band. But it certainly fits on a LU Sports board.

Ever do band camp? It's not high cardio, but it's athletic.

And when I was there, we got scholarships from the athletic scholarship fund. OK, it was $100, but it was enough for me to dust off the clarinet and march.

And PA Medic, I do SO remember those ugly things. I was so happy to see that they got decent uniforms.

Wish we'd had them when we marched at the Meadowlands.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I don't know what bothered me more- the permanent smell or stains on those things.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Never got a stained one, but mine did smell ...... interesting.

I can remember when they had the contest to create the logo -- and having to form the stinkin' thing at the end of our show nd float it off field.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Over on the FB thread we have a thread going that started veering off course- so I'm bringing some of it over here:

Fight song lyrics (graphics courtesy of Super Jon's fertile mind)
http://libertysports.proboards29.com/in ... 1133304099 Image
By Flamesfanva
Registration Days Posts
Tunes and lyrics....I'll be ready by August.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
how 'bout that Fleetwood Mac, huh?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
that's yet another reason I'd love to see some of the HBCUs come over to the BSOUTH. those halftime shows w/ the bands from Grambling, Southern, etc are KILLER! that would be GREAT to see at Williams
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I cover SWAC schools down here and the halftimes are out of this world. My personal favorite is Texas Southern's Ocean of Soul. Other SWAC schools like Grambling & Southern have bigger reps but none can outperform th Ocean of Soul.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
phoenix wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Other Sports is a stretch for marching band. But it certainly fits on a LU Sports board.

Ever do band camp? It's not high cardio, but it's athletic.

And when I was there, we got scholarships from the athletic scholarship fund. OK, it was $100, but it was enough for me to dust off the clarinet and march.

And PA Medic, I do SO remember those ugly things. I was so happy to see that they got decent uniforms.

Wish we'd had them when we marched at the Meadowlands.
Not only is it high cardio, I got a bunch of miles on the ol ride making instrument runs during rehearsal the last couple years
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
Not only is it high cardio, I got a bunch of miles on the ol ride making instrument runs during rehearsal the last couple years
I know I was in a LOT better shape back when I marched. And that was back in the parking lot/practice "field" days.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
yeah PHOENIX we were talking about that on the old board- standing on that blacktop in the middle of July losing about 25 lbs per hour. That was brutal on the back and knees, not to mention the damage done if you happened to drop an instrument.

I think they have the "new" (to me) cafeteria on that site now.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
And we're still practicing on blacktop. The marching band uses a section of the big paved lot over on Campus East. Its pretty nice. still really takes it out of ya.

its better than the lot over where the student center is now. Course practicing out there during band camp when it feels like 80 or 90 degrees in the mid day...brutal. Weve had people pass out sometimes because it gets so hot. Itll be interesting if this new fied turf thing comes to fruition. Im sure the bandos (a concept that I didn't even know about until I first joined the band in 2003) would appreciate that
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
bump to the top. We are working on plans for next year. Hope to see you guys out there.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
My high school always practiced in the summer and early school year on black top. 90-something degree NC heat and humidity. Lovely. I got some chemicals in side me outta whack one year. I realized it when I sat down during a break and laid back, and when I sat up I blacked out for a second.
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]