Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:It's been proven he knew about the gang rape allegations and did not report them.
It's been proven that when deficiencies in Title IX reporting existed he took YEARS to start that ball rolling.
It's been proven that he withheld information from the University Judicial system.
It's been proven that he ignored complaints from one of his own coaches regarding sexual assault

This hire and its ensuing criticism will just reinforce JR Martyr complex and he will dig his heels in and become more and more tone deaf.
And he will never fire him
By who? Outside the Lines? He was AD when stuff should have been reported - got it, but I, nor you, know the whole story or the whole situation. Only God and McCaw himself.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Proto, as a businessman I hope you understand obligations under the Civil Rights Act. I've been teaching this stuff to business leaders for nearly 20 years and by all accounts, the way this guy handled his responsibilities was very negligent. It could have been ignorance or purposeful, but either way, not someone I'd want on my leadership team. Demonstrates too much poor judgement in an area that, for most people that understand the law, is black and white.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:It's been proven he knew about the gang rape allegations and did not report them.
It's been proven that when deficiencies in Title IX reporting existed he took YEARS to start that ball rolling.
It's been proven that he withheld information from the University Judicial system.
It's been proven that he ignored complaints from one of his own coaches regarding sexual assault

This hire and its ensuing criticism will just reinforce JR Martyr complex and he will dig his heels in and become more and more tone deaf.
And he will never fire him
By who? Outside the Lines? He was AD when stuff should have been reported - got it, but I, nor you, know the whole story or the whole situation. Only God and McCaw himself.
Seriously? you have obviously done 0 research into this.
Even by your own admission 'he was AD when stuff should have been report...' is an indictment. It proves gross negligence or gross incompetence.
Coaches have stated they told him
Reports from outside groups stated he knew
Knowledge is a good thing.
By Jonathan Carone
We can go round and round but the pro-Falwell crowd won't question Jerry's decisions or actions and the Jerry-critical crowd won't give him a pass for this one. There's a hard line in the sand with this decision.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:We can go round and round but the pro-Falwell crowd won't question Jerry's decisions or actions and the Jerry-critical crowd won't give him a pass for this one. There's a hard line in the sand with this decision.
Well when your response to facts is 'only God knows his heart' and money is involved you sorta can't win
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:We can go round and round but the pro-Falwell crowd won't question Jerry's decisions or actions and the Jerry-critical crowd won't give him a pass for this one. There's a hard line in the sand with this decision.
I'm not a fan of Jerry and if it weren't for this issue, the hire would be a slam dunk. Of course, he also wouldn't have been unemployed. LOL
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:From the article:
ESPN’s Outside the Lines reports several instances in which Baylor “either failed to investigate, or adequately investigate, allegations of sexual violence.” School officials at times “did not provide support to those who reported assaults.” In one instance, Baylor took more than three years to comply with a federal directive to hire a full-time Title IX coordinator, receiving the directive in April 2011 and not hiring a coordinator until fall 2014.

ESPN’s Outside the Lines reports Baylor took two years to investigate a sexual assault report made against two football players. That lag in response time clashed with federal law, which requires schools to immediately address allegations of sexual violence involving students. According to police reports, the Waco Police Department informed Baylor officials about an incident involving football players Tre'Von Armstead and Shamycheal Chatman in 2013. But documents and interviews revealed Baylor did not begin looking into the allegations until September 2015. Neither Armstead nor Chatman was charged with a crime. ---- Look the Police WERE involved and no charges were filed. But why a 2 year wait?

As part of the findings, Baylor announces Briles has been “suspended indefinitely with intent to terminate” after eight seasons as head football coach. The university also removed Starr as university president and said athletic director Ian McCaw has been sanctioned and placed on probation. “We were horrified by the extent of these acts of sexual violence on our campus. This investigation revealed the University's mishandling of reports in what should have been a supportive, responsive and caring environment for students,” said Richard Willis, chair of the Baylor Board of Regents.

And from 60 Minutes
Acrobatics and tumbling coach Laprise Williams said she reported a series of sexual assaults to the athletic department in 2013 after several women came forward to her. According to the report, Williams was told “the women were not her problem and she should stick to coaching.” Williams later tried to help a student who said a football player “brutally” raped her—but the school’s counseling center immediately asked the student questions about drinking and her outfit, which Williams characterized as victim blaming. She left the school in 2014, believing standing up for the women was a part of why she had to go.

“At the time, I didn’t know why I was being forced out,” Williams said. “It was only later when I spoke to another coach who I knew very well, who was also told that they were moving in a different direction.”

That coach was Jim Barnes, Baylor’s all-time winningest volleyball coach. Barnes reported that one of his players had been sexually assaulted by a football player. An affidavit, obtained by 60 Minutes Sports, said Barnes made the report to then-athletic director Ian McCaw. Barnes was fired at the end of 2014, after two losing seasons and right before the arrival of a full-time Title IX director in Crawford.

Baylor denied retaliating against the coaches in the report. - A case could be made that 2 losing seasons got the all time winningest coach fired

But yeah, I'm sure there was no other AD candidate in the entire Country who was a better fit
Write me when City of Waco reports, State of Texas, United States of America... OTL, 60 Minutes don't let the accused tell their side, unless it sells more airtime.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
I'm not a fan of Jerry and if it weren't for this issue, the hire would be a slam dunk. Of course, he also wouldn't have been unemployed. LOL
Well there is that. I'm not even sure what the rush was. This guy was/is toxic. He would have been available for awhile. I mean if his actions cause Baylor of all places consternation you'd THINK LU would have a higher threshold.
By Jonathan Carone
Yacht Rock wrote:
If these allegations weren't there or the Baylor investigation had released its findings saying he wasn't at fault, I'd be cheering Jerry louder than anyone.
Just a side question about Title IX, because frankly I don't know much about it.

From my experience in the Air Force as our equivalent of Military Police, there were three ways of reporting a rape:

Unrestricted - Victim reports and a legal case is built to prosecute the alleged rapist.

Restricted - Victim reports, however some victims, wishing to not go through the legal processes that would require reliving the assault and rape, opt to not have Law Enforcement build a case against the alleged rapist. Initial evidence is acquired from the victim. The Victim can at any time make a Restricted report Unrestricted, however and Unrestricted case cannot become Restricted.

Independent - A third party is aware of the rape and reports. LE proceeds as if it were an Unrestricted Case.

Is there any mechanism in Title IX that mirrors a Restricted Report? Something that a victim could use to report but not go through the event again and again in judicial proceedings?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
ESPN’s Outside the Lines reports several instances in which Baylor “either failed to investigate, or adequately investigate, allegations of sexual violence.” School officials at times “did not provide support to those who reported assaults.” In one instance, Baylor took more than three years to comply with a federal directive to hire a full-time Title IX coordinator, receiving the directive in April 2011 and not hiring a coordinator until fall 2014.

ESPN’s Outside the Lines reports Baylor took two years to investigate a sexual assault report made against two football players. That lag in response time clashed with federal law, which requires schools to immediately address allegations of sexual violence involving students. According to police reports, the Waco Police Department informed Baylor officials about an incident involving football players Tre'Von Armstead and Shamycheal Chatman in 2013. But documents and interviews revealed Baylor did not begin looking into the allegations until September 2015. Neither Armstead nor Chatman was charged with a crime. ---- Look the Police WERE involved and no charges were filed. But why a 2 year wait?

As part of the findings, Baylor announces Briles has been “suspended indefinitely with intent to terminate” after eight seasons as head football coach. The university also removed Starr as university president and said athletic director Ian McCaw has been sanctioned and placed on probation. “We were horrified by the extent of these acts of sexual violence on our campus. This investigation revealed the University's mishandling of reports in what should have been a supportive, responsive and caring environment for students,” said Richard Willis, chair of the Baylor Board of Regents.

And from 60 Minutes
Acrobatics and tumbling coach Laprise Williams said she reported a series of sexual assaults to the athletic department in 2013 after several women came forward to her. According to the report, Williams was told “the women were not her problem and she should stick to coaching.” Williams later tried to help a student who said a football player “brutally” raped her—but the school’s counseling center immediately asked the student questions about drinking and her outfit, which Williams characterized as victim blaming. She left the school in 2014, believing standing up for the women was a part of why she had to go.

“At the time, I didn’t know why I was being forced out,” Williams said. “It was only later when I spoke to another coach who I knew very well, who was also told that they were moving in a different direction.”

That coach was Jim Barnes, Baylor’s all-time winningest volleyball coach. Barnes reported that one of his players had been sexually assaulted by a football player. An affidavit, obtained by 60 Minutes Sports, said Barnes made the report to then-athletic director Ian McCaw. Barnes was fired at the end of 2014, after two losing seasons and right before the arrival of a full-time Title IX director in Crawford.

Baylor denied retaliating against the coaches in the report. - A case could be made that 2 losing seasons got the all time winningest coach fired

But yeah, I'm sure there was no other AD candidate in the entire Country who was a better fit
Write me when City of Waco reports, State of Texas, United States of America... OTL, 60 Minutes don't let the accused tell their side, unless it sells more airtime.

:dontgetit What? That makes no sense. The Waco Police are certainly not blameless but LU isn't hiring their Police Chief to run LU PD.
Have you read the reports presented to the Baylor Board of Regents? Or do you think that's just a ploy to get more airtime from the networks? Maybe a chance for disgruntled boosters to jettison Briles?
Try not to deflect. Again, I'm only going by what was proven. Not allegations. There are a truck load more allegations My focus has always been on what he DIDNT do. That cannot be argued be wise it is fact.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:Proto, as a businessman I hope you understand obligations under the Civil Rights Act. I've been teaching this stuff to business leaders for nearly 20 years and by all accounts, the way this guy handled his responsibilities was very negligent. It could have been ignorance or purposeful, but either way, not someone I'd want on my leadership team. Demonstrates too much poor judgement in an area that, for most people that understand the law, is black and white.
I get that Yacht, but I also learn from the Bible, which teaches about forgiveness and not to judge. Did he make mistakes? I'm sure, but does that mean he can never work again? no...
By Jonathan Carone
prototype wrote:It would be great for Jerry, Jr. to wait until everything is complete and he's completely cleared, but unfortunately - life doesn't always work that way. This guy is talented and someone else was going to give him this chance and I'm sure we had to jump on it.
I have a big problem with this line of thinking. If someone else wanted to take the chance on him, great for them. However, as a Christian school, we have a higher obligation than just win baby. Our athletics department was created to reach people for Jesus through the use of athletics. We've seriously hindered that mission because we hired someone as toxic as McCaw. People now look at us as hypocrites who want to win at all costs. We're the worst of evangelicalism now - selling our beliefs for the chance to win.

We can make the claim that we don't care about being politically correct and how we don't care how people look at us. The problem with those claims in this situation is that how people look at us directly impacts how we're able to fulfill our mission.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
prototype wrote:

And from 60 Minutes

:dontgetit What? That makes no sense. The Waco Police are certainly not blameless but LU isn't hiring their Police Chief to run LU PD.
Have you read the reports presented to the Baylor Board of Regents? Or do you think that's just a ploy to get more airtime from the networks? Maybe a chance for disgruntled boosters to jettison Briles?
Try not to deflect. Again, I'm only going by what was proven. Not allegations. There are a truck load more allegations My focus has always been on what he DIDNT do. That cannot be argued be wise it is fact.
I'm saying - he has been proven my media outlets... right? not a court system. For me - that's just not the same thing.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:
If these allegations weren't there or the Baylor investigation had released its findings saying he wasn't at fault, I'd be cheering Jerry louder than anyone.
Agreed. But they are there so it's a horrible tone deaf decision that JR thinks is awesome as he revels in all the scorn he receives to feed his Martyr complex
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Are there unknown facts that will exonerate Ian once we here them ? *Sarcastic Font*
Last edited by R i on November 29th, 2016, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
prototype wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:Proto, as a businessman I hope you understand obligations under the Civil Rights Act. I've been teaching this stuff to business leaders for nearly 20 years and by all accounts, the way this guy handled his responsibilities was very negligent. It could have been ignorance or purposeful, but either way, not someone I'd want on my leadership team. Demonstrates too much poor judgement in an area that, for most people that understand the law, is black and white.
I get that Yacht, but I also learn from the Bible, which teaches about forgiveness and not to judge. Did he make mistakes? I'm sure, but does that mean he can never work again? no...
That's bad theology. We're told to hold our brothers and sisters accountable for their actions. Do not judge is a cop out.

Also, while I'm all for forgiveness and second chances, you don't put someone in a leadership position before they're cleared of the gross wrongdoing in their former leadership position. There has to be a process of restoration.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
prototype wrote:It would be great for Jerry, Jr. to wait until everything is complete and he's completely cleared, but unfortunately - life doesn't always work that way. This guy is talented and someone else was going to give him this chance and I'm sure we had to jump on it.
I have a big problem with this line of thinking. If someone else wanted to take the chance on him, great for them. However, as a Christian school, we have a higher obligation than just win baby. Our athletics department was created to reach people for Jesus through the use of athletics. We've seriously hindered that mission because we hired someone as toxic as McCaw. People now look at us as hypocrites who want to win at all costs. We're the worst of evangelicalism now - selling our beliefs for the chance to win.

We can make the claim that we don't care about being politically correct and how we don't care how people look at us. The problem with those claims in this situation is that how people look at us directly impacts how we're able to fulfill our mission.
Jon - I get that thinking... I just hate that we are making this man out to be an unsaved, dog - and nobody even knows him. He's toxic now? How do you know that someone might not see this as a great example of forgiveness and to take someone at their word...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Are there are unknown facts that will exonerate Ian once we here them ? *Sarcastic Font*
Well played
By Jonathan Carone
prototype wrote:Jon - I get that thinking... I just hate that we are making this man out to be an unsaved, dog - and nobody even knows him. He's toxic now? How do you know that someone might not see this as a great example of forgiveness and to take someone at their word...
Most aren't saying he's an unsaved dog. Most are keeping this at the professional level. Also - while someone might see this as a great example of forgiveness, the majority see it as us selling our morals for wins. The definition of toxic is "containing or being poisonous material especially when capable of causing death or serious debilitation". I'd say that word fits.
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]