Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Ian has more experience than anyone alive , about how to navigate and handle allegations against college athletes at a Christian University. If we believe he is a man of character, then we have to agree that he has likely learned from his mistakes, and he is the perfect fit for our University. Considering we have a conduct policy and have a Christian Mission, and want to be a top tier athletic program in the country.

Cautiously optimistic that Mr McCaw will lead this athletics program to a great place, while not repeating the same mistakes he made at Baylor.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:If we believe he is a man of character, then we have to agree that he has likely learned from his mistakes, and he is the perfect fit for our University.
Man that's an awfully slippery slope. I know tons of men who have great character but also great blind spots. It leads them to do things they otherwise wouldn't do in order to get where they want to go. The Asa situation is another great example of that. Danny Rocco is an incredible man of great character and he let his desire for success get in the way of the right thing.

While the school says they talked to Regents and other officials at Baylor who vouched for McCaw, I'm sure there were some who would say he's responsible. People are biased because of personal relationships. We can't give him a pass until the unbiased investigations are finished.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Here's another thing that must be considered:

Ian McCaw by all accounts is a great man. The statements from his coaches and colleagues are all you need to confirm that.

The disdain towards this hire is not about Ian McCaw the man, Ian McCaw the husband, Ian McCaw the Christian, or anything Ian McCaw personally. The disdain is towards Ian McCaw the Athletic Director who, while overseeing an incredible growth and success of the Baylor athletic department, at best had a massive blind spot towards sexual assault and at worst helped to cover it up. Those investigations are still going on and he has not been fully cleared of any wrong doing. We learned our lesson with Asa to wait until the unbiased legal proceedings are finished before making a decision. Had we kept Mickey as the interim for another semester and McCaw was cleared legally in that time, I would have absolutely no issues with this hire.
You nailed it.
Of course the WBB coach liked that he backed her in telling her players to 'stay in the closet'
Of course the MBB coach liked that he didn't look too closely at claims of recruiting violations
Of course the FB coach liked that he kept the report of rape out of the headlines for as long as he did
Of course the VB coach liked.....oh wait
Of course the compliance staff...oh wait.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
R i wrote:If we believe he is a man of character, then we have to agree that he has likely learned from his mistakes, and he is the perfect fit for our University.
Man that's an awfully slippery slope. I know tons of men who have great character but also great blind spots. It leads them to do things they otherwise wouldn't do in order to get where they want to go. The Asa situation is another great example of that. Danny Rocco is an incredible man of great character and he let his desire for success get in the way of the right thing.

While the school says they talked to Regents and other officials at Baylor who vouched for McCaw, I'm sure there were some who would say he's responsible. People are biased because of personal relationships. We can't give him a pass until the unbiased investigations are finished.
He raised a pant ton of money.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:The point those of you that will blindly support Jerry are missing is that this dude knew about a rape and chose not to report it. That shows a HUGE lack of judgement at the very least.

This isn't about "I don't like Jerry so I won't support this..."

This is, "This hire helped create an atmosphere where sexual assault goes unreported."

That's a big deal. Very big deal. At the very least he needs to address that to Liberty students, alums, fans, and staff.

And Proto, stop saying that people don't like Jerry because of what they read in the media or because they were fired. There are plenty of folks that base their opinion of him (including myself) on personal interactions as a member of the community.
I wouldn't expect public derision from folks who are known and have something to lose by making negative comments. Don't forget that there are people watching who can make things ugly for those with a financial stake at LU. My financial stake was blown about 35 years ago, so...
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:

Man that's an awfully slippery slope.
Stating that the school somehow sabotaged 3 alleged sexual assault cases, to prepare the way for an AD with a checkered past, is beyond slippery.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

Stating that the school somehow sabotaged 3 alleged sexual assault cases, to prepare the way for an AD with a checkered past, is beyond slippery.
Who here made that allegation? It was pointed out that three football players were dismissed due to allegations of sexual assault in the fall. I don't recall anyone saying we sabotaged those cases so we could sack Barber and hire this dude.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:No wonder Liberty wanted to take their name off this site. It's not Jerry, Jr or this new AD that is giving Liberty a bad name - it's all of you judgmental hypocrites. Many on the board act like you know these guys personally and clearly know every situation in their lives to defame, slander and ridicule them, when most have never even had a single conversation with either. I get it - you don't agree with everything Jerry, Jr. does... You all have been personally burned by Jerry, Jr. and Mr. McCaw... Truth is - you have chosen to jump on board with what the Media is telling you, what you have heard happened, or maybe had some situation where Jerry fired you and it feels better to believe that it was personal and not just a business decision.

You might not like Jerry, Jr, but you have to respect the man for building a University that produces many GREAT people that will go in their adulthood better than they came in. God has used Jerry, Jr. and the Falwell's to get Liberty where it is today and God doesn't make mistakes - if Jerry, Jr. wasn't the right person - he wouldn't be leading Liberty.

You guys jumped on Jerry, Jr. for his support of Trump, like he was supporting Hitler - then come to find out that Jerry, Jr. was supporting the very person that a majority of the Nation voted for, outside the Liberal, heavy non-believer rich big cities. He didn't tell students who to vote for, he didn't throw out a Liberty endorsement, and he even brought in candidates from all sides to speak at convo to let students make up their own minds.

Now you are all ripping a man that you don't even know, because you have convinced yourself that he must somehow support rape... “How are women going to support us now?” That's a bunch of BS. Baylor is a good school, who had some bad apples on their Football team - players are responsible for their OWN actions, and coaches and AD’s can’t be responsible to know what thousands of athletes are doing 24 hours a day, outside of their practice and game times. Baylor spits out some VERY good students. How do I know? - I own a business in Dallas too and see their fruit. I called this the other day - Jerry, Jr. was going to find someone that either came from a FBS conference or a school that plays in a FBS conference, and is familiar with what we are up against, like Notre Dame. Well, guess what - we have someone from a large Baptist University that has been there. I'm not going to Judge this guy because the Media has told me he's a bad guy, and quite frankly I’m sick of hearing how awful Jerry. Jr. is. Liberty would not be where it is today without him – period.

I was almost going to spend the time to look up old post from a few years ago, when everyone was praising him for opening his home to freshman for start of the year carnivals, taking away dress codes and showing such a strong support for athletics by building facilities and spending money on good coaching, but then thought – not worth the time, because so many people on here don’t remember, or have any idea, as to where Liberty came from, but only want to judge leadership and even think they could do a better job, when you couldn’t and wouldn’t.

Jerry, Jr. – You are doing a great job. I know your job stinks many days, but I will continue to pray that God will guide you in all your decisions. And welcome aboard Mr. McCaw – I look forward to seeing how you can build upon the great foundation that Jeff Barber has left you. Hopefully you can help pull our fan base together and help us reach that goal that Jerry, Sr. set many years ago.
I will assume then that you have never "judged" or said a bad word about President Obama or Hillary Clinton. That is of course, unless you have had "conversations with them". Unless you have, one could almost say you are being "hypocritical". Jr. and McCaw are public figures who have a record of public statements and in McCaw's case, a report sanctioned by the Board of Regents stating he knew of the sexual assaults but didn't report. It is fair to base opinions on such things.

I readily admit my bias that I totally disagree with Jr's endorsement of Trump because regardless of it being personal, it reflects on all students and alum, positively or negatively, and his cavalier attitude toward others who have respectfully disagreed. And while I am quite ecumenical in my desire for Christian unity, I have had some concerns about some of the ministry-oriented convocation speakers in the last few years. That being said, I have great respect for what Jr has done with Liberty. This isn't the school I went to 35 years ago in almost every positive way and he is responsible for much of the change. But he doesn't get a pass on everything because he has done well on many things.

This is a message board to give opinions, good and bad. It would be rather boring if we all agreed with each other. You gave yours. I just gave mine. :)
Last edited by Just John on November 29th, 2016, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:

That's a gigantic stretch to say we sabotaged the assault cases. I never said that. I said we cracked down and those guys were casualties of the crack down. The horrible handling of the Cam Jackson case is an entirely different situation.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:The point those of you that will blindly support Jerry are missing is that this dude knew about a rape and chose not to report it. That shows a HUGE lack of judgement at the very least.

This isn't about "I don't like Jerry so I won't support this..."

This is, "This hire helped create an atmosphere where sexual assault goes unreported."

That's a big deal. Very big deal. At the very least he needs to address that to Liberty students, alums, fans, and staff.

And Proto, stop saying that people don't like Jerry because of what they read in the media or because they were fired. There are plenty of folks that base their opinion of him (including myself) on personal interactions as a member of the community.
I wouldn't expect public derision from folks who are known and have something to lose by making negative comments. Don't forget that there are people watching who can make things ugly for those with a financial stake at LU. My financial stake was blown about 35 years ago, so...
What? LU would hold it against someone who maybe disagreed with one of their decisions? Surely you jest good sir!
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure how Jr. endorsing Trump is connected to this hire. I supported Trump and I supported Jerry Jr. endorsing Trump. This isn't a good hire, and how Jerry handled the situation is beyond pathetic. Everyone in our athletic department deserved better, whether or not they will publicly admit such.

Some of you need to get off your constant bias for the university and realize that Liberty and Jerry Jr. are capable of making mistakes...
By huntandfish
Registration Days Posts
Wow, that's all I can say. Why would we not just wait until his name is cleared? After that then hire him because no school in the US ( of course other than my school) would hire the guy. His name is toxic. This is so short sighted. I am all about second chances and giving folks the benefit. But there is a process to restoring a person. So what happens now if he is found to be in the wrong he's not Baylor's AD anymore he's Liberty's AD . This may be the dumbest thing JR has done and I am a big fan of his but just can't get my mind around this.

What about the appearance of evil. Scriptures is pretty clear about that.

BTW what's the guys walk with Christ like ? Anybody read anything about that ? I would assume he is a believer but you know what happens when you assume. Just because he was at Baylor does mean much re his faith. hopefully his has a strong walk and has shared that somewhere in print.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Here is an article on the Timeline of events at Baylor. I will be the first to say that allegations are just that. I don't get the vapors when I hear them. What I do find absolutely baffling is the time lapse and the way 'Olympic Sports' were handled.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016 ... -ken-starr
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
So if an LU rival would have made the same exact hire you wouldn't be critical at all of it?

I praise Jr all the time but the past year he has made a string of decisions that have put the University I loved in questionable light. He silences anybody who disagrees and has surrounded himself with yes men.

I am so grateful for the things he has done to help grow our University but that doesn't give him a pass on bad decisions.

If this guy had been cleared of all charges before Liberty hired him I wouldn't be nearly as critical as I have been. You can't expect to maintain good disciple within the athletic department when the man that is hired to lead the department is still under investigation.

It's a bad look and to paint people like me who disagree with the hire as hypocrites is just a tactic to shut people up.

Sexual assault will always be a serious issue to me. It had singlehandedly screwed my sisters life up. This is why I am so passionate about it and I will not apologize to you or to anybody else for taking a stand against it.
I get that - I take it very serious too, I as well, have had many siblings affected by it. BUT, I also have seen accusations ruin good people's lives too. We don't know the full story and I find it hard to believe that someone could know and intentionally hide something that they know could harm someone else. So, yes, I giving him the benefit of doubt. Baylor wouldn't have tried to keep him, if he was involved as much as everyone thinks he was.

It would be great for Jerry, Jr. to wait until everything is complete and he's completely cleared, but unfortunately - life doesn't always work that way. This guy is talented and someone else was going to give him this chance and I'm sure we had to jump on it.

And no, if a rival made this hire - I would think that they got a pretty good talent and a person very motivated to prove a lot of people wrong.

I'm not asking for a pass for Jerry, Jr. when deserved. I'm asking is for this crap to stop on Social Media, this board and other public places that are bashing a good man who has done so much for Liberty. "He surrounds himself with Yes Men", and "He gets rid of anyone that speaks against him." First, of course he surrounds himself with people that agree with him and guess what - welcome to the real world - most companies I work with, big and small, who are successful, surround themselves with people that will carry out HIS/HER vision. He is the leader of the school and it's a "get on board, or get off" world we live in. And secondly, most employers don't want to be spoken against, but I can tell you, knowing and working with him for the last 15 years - I have seen many people speak out against him and they are still at Liberty in High Positions. There's a difference between disrespect and speaking against.

This world is all about guilty until proven innocent, and everyone loves a good story. Let the court system do their job - if he's found guilty- I'm sure Jerry, Jr. would kick him out the door.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It's been proven he knew about the gang rape allegations and did not report them.
It's been proven that when deficiencies in Title IX reporting existed he took YEARS to start that ball rolling.
It's been proven that he withheld information from the University Judicial system.
It's been proven that he ignored complaints from one of his own coaches regarding sexual assault

This hire and its ensuing criticism will just reinforce JR Martyr complex and he will dig his heels in and become more and more tone deaf.
And he will never fire him
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Here is an article on the Timeline of events at Baylor. I will be the first to say that allegations are just that. I don't get the vapors when I hear them. What I do find absolutely baffling is the time lapse and the way 'Olympic Sports' were handled.

Great article. Lots of allegations and one conviction - which the guy went to jail. I find it ridiculous that a University is obligated to investigate crimes like this? What makes them qualified to do this? This should be a Police issue - plain and simple. And I'm sorry - I'm for standing behind someone until it's Proven they are lying to me. We are so quick to judge these days and affect someone's life and well-being, because someone throws out an allegation. Don't believe me - Google it. False reports are filed every minute in this country and I sure hope no one on this board gets wrongly accused of something...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Here is an article on the Timeline of events at Baylor. I will be the first to say that allegations are just that. I don't get the vapors when I hear them. What I do find absolutely baffling is the time lapse and the way 'Olympic Sports' were handled.

Great article. Lots of allegations and one conviction - which the guy went to jail. I find it ridiculous that a University is obligated to investigate crimes like this? What makes them qualified to do this? This should be a Police issue - plain and simple. And I'm sorry - I'm for standing behind someone until it's Proven they are lying to me. We are so quick to judge these days and affect someone's life and well-being, because someone throws out an allegation. Don't believe me - Google it. False reports are filed every minute in this country and I sure hope no one on this board gets wrongly accused of something...
Obviously you didn't read the part I wrote before. I'm looking at the actions of the AD. Or in this case the gross negligence of the AD
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:No wonder Liberty wanted to take their name off this site. It's not Jerry, Jr or this new AD that is giving Liberty a bad name - it's all of you judgmental hypocrites. Many on the board act like you know these guys personally and clearly know every situation in their lives to defame, slander and ridicule them, when most have never even had a single conversation with either. I get it - you don't agree with everything Jerry, Jr. does... You all have been personally burned by Jerry, Jr. and Mr. McCaw... Truth is - you have chosen to jump on board with what the Media is telling you, what you have heard happened, or maybe had some situation where Jerry fired you and it feels better to believe that it was personal and not just a business decision.

You might not like Jerry, Jr, but you have to respect the man for building a University that produces many GREAT people that will go in their adulthood better than they came in. God has used Jerry, Jr. and the Falwell's to get Liberty where it is today and God doesn't make mistakes - if Jerry, Jr. wasn't the right person - he wouldn't be leading Liberty.

You guys jumped on Jerry, Jr. for his support of Trump, like he was supporting Hitler - then come to find out that Jerry, Jr. was supporting the very person that a majority of the Nation voted for, outside the Liberal, heavy non-believer rich big cities. He didn't tell students who to vote for, he didn't throw out a Liberty endorsement, and he even brought in candidates from all sides to speak at convo to let students make up their own minds.

Now you are all ripping a man that you don't even know, because you have convinced yourself that he must somehow support rape... “How are women going to support us now?” That's a bunch of BS. Baylor is a good school, who had some bad apples on their Football team - players are responsible for their OWN actions, and coaches and AD’s can’t be responsible to know what thousands of athletes are doing 24 hours a day, outside of their practice and game times. Baylor spits out some VERY good students. How do I know? - I own a business in Dallas too and see their fruit. I called this the other day - Jerry, Jr. was going to find someone that either came from a FBS conference or a school that plays in a FBS conference, and is familiar with what we are up against, like Notre Dame. Well, guess what - we have someone from a large Baptist University that has been there. I'm not going to Judge this guy because the Media has told me he's a bad guy, and quite frankly I’m sick of hearing how awful Jerry. Jr. is. Liberty would not be where it is today without him – period.

I was almost going to spend the time to look up old post from a few years ago, when everyone was praising him for opening his home to freshman for start of the year carnivals, taking away dress codes and showing such a strong support for athletics by building facilities and spending money on good coaching, but then thought – not worth the time, because so many people on here don’t remember, or have any idea, as to where Liberty came from, but only want to judge leadership and even think they could do a better job, when you couldn’t and wouldn’t.

Jerry, Jr. – You are doing a great job. I know your job stinks many days, but I will continue to pray that God will guide you in all your decisions. And welcome aboard Mr. McCaw – I look forward to seeing how you can build upon the great foundation that Jeff Barber has left you. Hopefully you can help pull our fan base together and help us reach that goal that Jerry, Sr. set many years ago.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
From the article:
ESPN’s Outside the Lines reports several instances in which Baylor “either failed to investigate, or adequately investigate, allegations of sexual violence.” School officials at times “did not provide support to those who reported assaults.” In one instance, Baylor took more than three years to comply with a federal directive to hire a full-time Title IX coordinator, receiving the directive in April 2011 and not hiring a coordinator until fall 2014.

ESPN’s Outside the Lines reports Baylor took two years to investigate a sexual assault report made against two football players. That lag in response time clashed with federal law, which requires schools to immediately address allegations of sexual violence involving students. According to police reports, the Waco Police Department informed Baylor officials about an incident involving football players Tre'Von Armstead and Shamycheal Chatman in 2013. But documents and interviews revealed Baylor did not begin looking into the allegations until September 2015. Neither Armstead nor Chatman was charged with a crime. ---- Look the Police WERE involved and no charges were filed. But why a 2 year wait?

As part of the findings, Baylor announces Briles has been “suspended indefinitely with intent to terminate” after eight seasons as head football coach. The university also removed Starr as university president and said athletic director Ian McCaw has been sanctioned and placed on probation. “We were horrified by the extent of these acts of sexual violence on our campus. This investigation revealed the University's mishandling of reports in what should have been a supportive, responsive and caring environment for students,” said Richard Willis, chair of the Baylor Board of Regents.

And from 60 Minutes
Acrobatics and tumbling coach Laprise Williams said she reported a series of sexual assaults to the athletic department in 2013 after several women came forward to her. According to the report, Williams was told “the women were not her problem and she should stick to coaching.” Williams later tried to help a student who said a football player “brutally” raped her—but the school’s counseling center immediately asked the student questions about drinking and her outfit, which Williams characterized as victim blaming. She left the school in 2014, believing standing up for the women was a part of why she had to go.

“At the time, I didn’t know why I was being forced out,” Williams said. “It was only later when I spoke to another coach who I knew very well, who was also told that they were moving in a different direction.”

That coach was Jim Barnes, Baylor’s all-time winningest volleyball coach. Barnes reported that one of his players had been sexually assaulted by a football player. An affidavit, obtained by 60 Minutes Sports, said Barnes made the report to then-athletic director Ian McCaw. Barnes was fired at the end of 2014, after two losing seasons and right before the arrival of a full-time Title IX director in Crawford.

Baylor denied retaliating against the coaches in the report. - A case could be made that 2 losing seasons got the all time winningest coach fired

But yeah, I'm sure there was no other AD candidate in the entire Country who was a better fit
By R i
Registration Days Posts
What is Jerry's relationship with the Baylor adviser.

How did he get Jerry's ear on this ?
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Wow, that's kind of wild.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10[…]

Athens Regional

Changing speeds to the key to pitching. Escobar […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We have quite the battle for second place going on[…]