Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
I don't know if Liberty is looking to add another sport, but they are doing an athletics survey on the splash page about what kind of sports we as students would like to see. Just thought I'd post that info.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
well they need to go ahead and add hockey already...of course they would have to add a girls team for either hockey or another sport with the same amount of scholarships to make that work....but really why should they focus on adding any other men's sports when you have one that has been building for years and years now?? Will they get crushed in NCAA D1 hockey?? of course...but I really want to see them move up to NCAA D1 within the next 5 years...I wonder how many feel the same
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
love to see them move up, and I think they'd be more competetive than we give them credit for.

(bad sentance structure, but I'm too lazy to re-do it)
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
We could balance out hockey by adding women's rifle.

Then again, that may just be my 'chicks with guns' fetish talking.
Last edited by Libertine on January 31st, 2007, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I have seen D1 hockey in person when I use to live in Maine and I have seen our team..though we are good...we would get killed...the speed and talent level is so far above us its crazy....now would it take us long to be respectable?? I don't think so...but that first year or two would be killer
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I've tried taking that survey twice and the second I click on it I get a message that says, "Thanks for taking the survey."
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
In terms of us getting spanked at the D1 level in hockey, you've got to start somewhere.. we'll continue to draw kids due to the success we've had now but the jump to D1 would also bring in better recruits.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I say lets add hockey and women's golf...thats the only sport sponsored by the Big South that LU doesn't compete in.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
1. One natural scholarship/scholastic women's sport to add as a counterpoint to Ice Hockey in order to comply with Title IX that has a huge Southeastern/Mid-Atlantic presence is NCAA Women's Field Hockey. I have known and heard of several potential female students who went elsewhere because of no field hockey when I was at the LU. Of course, they would have to participate as an affiliate in another conference, perhaps they could prusue an affiliate status with the CAA since it's geographically close and since the CAA sponsors Women's Field Hockey...Could also be a step in the right direction to proving to the CAA that LU athletics & Athletics Management will not tarnish their league's image.

Also, the USA Field Hockey Training Center is in Virginia Beach. http://www.usfieldhockey.com/usfha/training_center.htm
PA, VA, MD, MA, etc. are all areas where field hockey is a staple (a successful area geographically for recruiting efforts.)

2. After adding something like Field Hockey, another sport they could add would be NCAA Swimming...Title IX would take care of itself as in Track since you would field a men's and women's team.

3. I also wouldn't mind seeing NCAA Lacrosse added several year years down the road, as the school ascends the population growth goal and monetary endowment ladder.

***Actually, even though it's been firmly established on the board that the CAA is a pipedream, the league does have all of the current sports we have (sans Ice Hockey) and all of the potential ones LU might offer in the future...it's too bad that is not an option into the foreseeable future.

http://www.caasports.com/
Last edited by PeterParker on January 31st, 2007, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Libertine wrote:We could balance out hockey by adding women's rifle.

Then again, that may just be my 'chicks with guns' fetish talking.
have you met my wife?
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Folks...
...remember, a new sport costs money...
...money that has been a losing proposition. Recall an article over a year ago which mentioned what, a $7 million deficit (someone can correct me on the actual number).

The only sport which makes any sense would be women's golf, simply due to the Big South sponsoship of the sport. Add that sport, first, and build the participation numbers...
...then look at perhaps Men's Ice Hockey.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
They did this same survey a couple years back. I don't know if it really means anything, other than them just wanting to see what is out there.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
We're gonna get something...it's just a matter of what
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Is Men's Busdriving a club sport yet?
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Once we get the synthetic snow it would be an option
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Has anyone thought that this is a Title IX issue...
...to quantify the interest by athletics by male female students?
Election 2022 and 2024

All of this is why I just can’t believe the […]

2025 Recruiting Discussion

It's good to see us bringing in some quality recru[…]

2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]