Here is the place for the lowdown on tennis, golf and other sport on campus. And if you consider band, debate or quiz bowl a sport, you have found your home. It is also the place to discuss schoolwide athletics.
By Cider Jim
#553813 What was your time, ballcoach?
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:Yes I saw the changes. I don't like new test. Nothing wrong with old one. It's been used since 1 January 81, if my memory is right.

And had absolutely nothing to do with your ability to wage war. Change is good.
By ballcoach15
#553834 What I liked about old one, was it was easy to administer. No special equipment, all was needed was stop watch, pen and APFT Scorecard. The new one needs equipment, and is more time consuming. I am glad I not have to take it, or administer it.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:What I liked about old one, was it was easy to administer. No special equipment, all was needed was stop watch, pen and APFT Scorecard. The new one needs equipment, and is more time consuming. I am glad I not have to take it, or administer it.

It actually takes less than half the time. Max time allowed is 50 minutes.
By ballcoach15
#553844 I agree on the "do little" part on old one. But as far as combat situations, every situation is different. I don't think there's any test that can accurately gauge someone's fitness, as it pertains to combat.
I remember being in Panama back in early 1990. We had this young trooper, who was one of most fit troops in the unit. He was first one to suffer heat exhaustion. The borderline overweight/out of shape guys kept soldiering on. In combat, the mental part is just as important as physical part.
By Purple Haize
thepostman wrote:The new one will actually test if you are physically fit for a combat situation. Long overdue. Sits ups, push ups and run do little to test true physical fitness.

And I believe it’s ‘Gender Neutral’
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:The new one will actually test if you are physically fit for a combat situation. Long overdue. Sits ups, push ups and run do little to test true physical fitness.

And I believe it’s ‘Gender Neutral’

Judging warfighters by their warfighters ability? Say it ain't so.
By lynchburgwildcats
#558190 I just looked up what was the minimum needed to pass the Army physical fitness test. I passed those standards in middle school. So count me in the group that's saying a change was needed.