Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I see there is a proposal on the NCAA table to change red shirt rules, beginning August 1, 2018. These new rules will allow a player to play 4 games in a season, and still be red shirted.

On the surface, I do not like the smell of it.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I know it's football. Not sure if all sports are included.

Rationale is, it will give FCS schools more depth. Probably FBS also.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
No inside info, but it looks to me like this would be a very small modification, which would change the number of games a football player could participate in and qualify for a MEDICAL redshirt from 3 to 4. No smell to like or dislike ballcoach. The general rule for all sports is 30%, and with the injury risks in football and current concussion protocols, I would tend to agree that 3 is a bit low to lose an entire year of eligibility.
Last edited by olldflame on January 6th, 2018, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The way I read the article, the medical aspect doesn't actually come into play. It was based more on depth for FCS teams, in that a team could play one player 4 games, then red shirt him. Play another player 4 games, then red shirt him, etc, etc.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]